INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Better to use Windows version or MAC Version on a MAC?  (Read 2353 times)

iamimdoc

• World Citizen
Better to use Windows version or MAC Version on a MAC?
« on: June 29, 2013, 07:45:12 am »

I have a Mac Book (4G RAM max) I am likely going to dedicate to a JRiver install.  Will not be used for other stuff

Currently using the WINDOWS version on CAPS server but too slow for big library

I have a Win 7 package that can  be used as OS.

This will be for music only - don't care about movies, photos, etc.  I will not be going back and forth between operating systems on the MAC frequently.

Is there consensus as to whether a native MAC JRiver install is superior/inferior to a  Windows JRiver install (booted with Windows) on this machine?

Thanks

cgbissett

• Recent member
Re: Better to use Windows version or MAC Version on a MAC?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 07:55:02 am »

I have an iMac 2010 i3, which has Windows 7 loaded using bootcamp. I have J River loaded in the windows partition, I now have J River loaded on the Mac Partition as well, mountain lion, both have bit perfect output, I have not heard any differences between the systems. I am using J River only for music playback on both partitions, I have not used many features of J River on the Mac but for music playback it has been stable. I use volume levelling as well and it works fine. I use the Mac version more now, as my daily computing needs are on the Mac.

Cheers Craig.

Fred1

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 12:32:30 pm »

If you only want to play back your music, you probably can go the Mac way.
If you want more (serious tag editing, ripping etc.), i would recommend the Windows version.

Personally, i use both types of JRiver MC 18 (Mac on Mac, Windows on Windows) because the Mac version alone is still too cumbersome to use it exclusively. There are too many little annoying glitches that first have to be removed to call the Mac version fully functional.

Foxman50

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 12:28:36 pm »

There are too many little annoying glitches that first have to be removed to call the Mac version fully functional.

Hi Fred

Could you expand on this by any chance. Im thinking of using jriver on a mac mini then into a dac via usb. To be honest i just want to use jremote to be able to play an album. Not into fancy stuff, but want it to play bit perfect.

Regards Graeme

shAf

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2013, 01:00:23 pm »

Could you expand on this by any chance. Im thinking of using jriver on a mac mini then into a dac via usb. To be honest i just want to use jremote to be able to play an album. Not into fancy stuff, but want it to play bit perfect.

Relative to the OP, it doesn't appear you are asking your question from a "Mac or Windows" perspective.  I believe those thinking like you, that they may want to set up a media server with MC (whatever version) running on a Mac Mini, only need to be advised that the Mac version may have quirks for a while ... it's still in beta for Pete's sake, and it doesn't even look like a Mac app!  That is, MC for Windows has evolved, as has JRiver with Windows, and you can consider JRiver and MC18 to be tried & true.  It'll be some time before you can say the same about the Mac version.

You'd be better off assuming MC on the Mini will work, and ask questions specifically about "which MC-to-DAC do users find working well", or similarly about JRemote.

Regarding the OP's question, I just bought into another Windows 8 PC as a media computer running MC.  It works just like I expected it would, and my Macbook connects (as a client) to my Windows MC (as a server), and it also works as it should (... except for a few quirks ...).  I'd suspect sometime in the near future (late 2013, early 2014), the mac version will be just as un-quirky as the Windows version.

HTH  :)
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

Fred1

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2013, 05:00:51 pm »

If you intend only to play music via MC Mac then you will be fine, i think.

Problems arise, if you want to heavily tag your files.
Then all kinds of insufficiencies hinder you doing this.
Beginning with getting false dates in the Date Created field, problems with umlauts in paths, and so on.
Even complete tagging itself isn't possible without using the mouse very often.
Default keys (Return, Esc) are not recognized etc.etc. So tagging is no fun.

These and other problems are long known - but who cares?

battlescarze

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 12:30:38 am »

I use both...MAC works fine with the JRemote app on an iPad...if you are just going to use for audio only then go with MAC if thats where the majority of the work you do is? MAC OSX...is far superior than windows IMO...running MACs for 5 years...never had a virus ...prior to that I used WIN and every few months I ran into problems ...had to reinstall the OS...again...go with the MAC.

I am sure MC for MAC will just keep getting better.

Foxman50

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 12:28:02 pm »

If you intend only to play music via MC Mac then you will be fine, i think.

Problems arise, if you want to heavily tag your files.
Then all kinds of insufficiencies hinder you doing this.
Beginning with getting false dates in the Date Created field, problems with umlauts in paths, and so on.
Even complete tagging itself isn't possible without using the mouse very often.
Default keys (Return, Esc) are not recognized etc.etc. So tagging is no fun.

These and other problems are long known - but who cares?

Cheers Fred, that's fine as i do all my ripping, tagging and all other work on a PC and not within JRiver. Many thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up