INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Identification of bad rips?  (Read 1087 times)

rhkrhk

• World Citizen
Identification of bad rips?
« on: July 04, 2013, 06:37:58 pm »

Having ripped about 600 CDs, ignored the warning that some tracks couldn't be verified (probably 100-200 tracks in all), and not keeping the logs - is there any way i can instruct MC to scan all of the flac files for imperfections and identify the bad files?   Probably a dumb question, but MC is so tricky it just might be possible.

(I'm almost finished with the CD  ripping project - one CD was so bad that nothing was verified -  rather than accepting  it, I played it through my system and digitized it through a Lyra ADC. it sounded so good I wish I'd done it on the others).   I assume the transport & DAC just did a better job at reading a borderline CD than the computer hard drive (As well they should. They cost 500x as much).

thanks
rhk

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Identification of bad rips?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 06:41:04 pm »

With the command line flac.exe tool (http://xiph.org/flac/download.html) you can test the file.  This can't validate that the bits on the CD that had trouble being read are the bits in the file - only that the FLAC itself is valid.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Frobozz

• Citizen of the Universe
  • There is a small mailbox here.
Re: Identification of bad rips?
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 11:05:17 pm »

The program CUETools can check ripped CD albums to verify if the rip is good or bad.  If you don't have the CUE file the program will make a best guess for the verification.  The disc you're verifying needs to already be in the database it uses.  It's still possible to have a good rip even though it doesn't verify with CUETools.  Things get tricky for example with discs that have pregap before track 1 and you can end up with false negatives because of that.  A pretty neat program and will serve to put your mind at ease for those rips that you suspect may be questionable.

I don't know if CEUTools is batchable.  It would be a bit of busy-work to recheck a hundred plus albums manually.

The download package also includes a program called CUERipper that uses the same database to verify its rips.  You could try CUERipper with that disc that gave you problems to see if it's able to get a verified good rip of that disc.
Pages: [1]   Go Up