INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why am I seeing two entries of an album in the album view?  (Read 1798 times)

Henglander

• Recent member
Why am I seeing two entries of an album in the album view?
« on: July 03, 2013, 12:36:41 pm »

I have an album : Rachmaninov: Piano Concerto no. 2 / Tchaikovsky: Piano Concerto no. 1
I have the
tracks 1-3 set to Artist = Sergei Rachmaninov and Album Artist = Sergei Rachmaninov; Sviatoslav Richter, Stanisław Wisłocki
tracks 4-6 set to Artist = Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky and Album Artist = Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky; Sviatoslav Richter, Herbert von Karajan
MC has Album Type = Multiple artists (complete)

I now see two albums in the albums pane. Why? When I look at Customize view in the stock Albums pane I only see that the "Album" field is selected. Where is the expression or whatever it is that is splitting the album into two behind my back? How do I stop it doing this?

MC18.0.206

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Why am I seeing two entries of an album in the album view?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 12:40:44 pm »

Your Album Artists are different.  Set all tracks to have the same Album Artist.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Henglander

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 11:25:49 am »

Ok, that will unsplit the album.
But what I want is that it doesn't use any other field other than "Albums" (the entry in customize views).

How can I stop it from using unselected fields such as Album Artist.

MrC

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 02:00:40 pm »

Try Group By > More (sort groups a-z) > Album.

The stock Group By > Album is internally handled such that it includes Album Artist (auto).

Henglander

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 03:42:06 pm »

I played with a new library view (as a child of root) and basically I always end up with two albums. In my case, because P is before S I see tracks 4-6 before 1-3.
I can understand why someone thought including the artist in with the album was a good idea (because of two albums with the same name like "US", for example), anyway I have put the album artists back to be the same and have added a new field for the track artists.

This leads me to the question can one sort the albums by a field , but display a different field. i.e. Sort by Catalog # , but display Album?

MrC

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 07:13:08 pm »

Artist is used as the track artist, so if you created a new field, it might not be necessary.

You can in some cases sort by a field different than the display.  Where is it that you [edit: want] this done?

Henglander

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2013, 07:02:00 am »

Artist is used as the track artist, so if you created a new field, it might not be necessary.
I do not understand what you are telling me. It looks like MC uses Album + Album Artist to identify (group) which tracks belong together i.e. in an album. In my case I have just the composer in the normal artist field (see thread start) so I can sort by it, but when viewing the album's track I want to see more info such as the soloist and conductor (see start). Because MC uses Album + Album Artist, the Album Artist needs to be the same across all tracks of the album, which makes it pretty meaningless for the individual tracks - hence the new field track artists.
You can in some cases sort by a field different than the display.  Where is it that you this done?
I haven't and I don't know how which is why I am asking (and hoping for an example)

MrC

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2013, 02:05:54 pm »

Sorry, I was asking where you wanted to sort (i.e. a file list, within groups in a file list, a Categories view, inside a pane column).

Some are affected by the name of the thing being shown (such as Group By), and others are controlled by a sort field (such as a pane column, or items within a group (Sort Inside Groups By...).

Vincent Kars

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 07:24:41 am »

In cases like these I set
Album : Rachmaninov: Piano Concerto no. 2 / Tchaikovsky: Piano Concerto no. 1
Album Artist: Richter, Wisłocki, Krajan

This keeps the album as 1 item.
Of course I like to know the specifics

Artist (standard tag):
1-3 Richter, Wisłocki
4-6 Richter, Karajan
For each track I fill in the composer in the Composer tag (also a standard Tag)

More details on how I use JRiver for classical can be found here: http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/SW/Players/JRiver/Classical.htm

Henglander

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 03:25:47 pm »

Thanks for your input. I had had a look at your welltemperedcomputer and musicbrainz and a number of other sites ...
I've decided to rethink this.

Pages: [1]   Go Up