INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Configuring system for the first time  (Read 1967 times)

racertim

Configuring system for the first time
« on: July 10, 2013, 06:57:18 pm »

Hello, I am new to the forum and JRiver media center.  I have primarily used Windows Media Center but I have never liked how difficult it is to get it to read tags correctly and to play Flac files.  I am converting to JRiver but would like input on how to best set up my house system.  Here is what I have: I have a 2TB NAS with about 16,000 songs.  I have two audio systems, one a high end separate system and the other a high end Onkyo HDMI receiver.  I have several computers running Windows 7.  I also have several android tablets.  On my separates system I would like to install a windows 7 computer but without a monitor.  I would like to manage the computer and music library for the separates system from one of the android tablets. On the Onkyo system I would like to use a media streamer or a windows 7 computer but will have the HDMI connection with the LED flat screen to manage the media library but would prefer to use a tablet there also.  I have no interest in listening to the music through a hand held device.  So suggestions on the best way to configure?

csimon

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Configuring system for the first time
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 05:26:46 am »

If you don't mind having one PC switched on all the time then I think my suggestion would be to designate one as the MC server and use that to manage the library, whether it's via a directly-connected screen and keyboard or whether it's via a remote desktop or VNC type protocol from another device. Then use MC client PCs or media streamers at your listening points.  But other people may have different viewpoints, hopefully!

There is no MC client for mobile devices, it only runs on Windows (and Mac in development) so that's why you will need a remote desktop connection to a server if you want to use an Android tablet. I also think you will run into problems trying to manage the library from a Windows MC client - it's still clumsy in that area and not all functionality is enabled.

There are mobile remote control apps available - Gizmo (Android native) and WebGizmo (generic web interface) from JRiver themselves, but they are probably a little basic. I'm not sure if there's a third-party Android app at the moment - have a look on the third-party board. I use the iOS app JRemote.  You could also use a generic UPNP/DLNA control point rather than a MC remote control app, if you find one you like, if your streaming devices are UPNP/DLNA renderers. MC itself can act as a DLNA renderer. I think BubbleUPNP is an example of such an app?

Your files on a NAS are no problem - you just configure MC to look at the NAS rather than a local disk as its import path.

MC is arguably the best media cataloguing and playing system that there is, but it is still limited with regard to remote control and client/server distributed systems.

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 12:19:26 pm »

My setup is 1 main server PC running windows 8 pro.  MC is always running here.
I have other windows 7 pc's on the lan that run MC as library clients (see this in the wiki)
All media files are on a raid 5 NAS box.
On the server copy of MC, I point the library to the UNC path for the nas (\\NAS1\music)
All importing and tagging is done on that machine.

Now for output, I have HDMI cable output from HTPC machine into my stereo receiver.
I have RTA cables from one sound card going to a small stereo receiver in my garage, and another set going to the pool patio area.
Each of these shows up as a 'zone' in MC and different things can be directed to play at those sound outputs.

Of course each windows PC, has standard sound card with speakers.

I have a couple of android tablets running the android app GIZMO.
This app acts as a remote control for MC and can direct media to play at any of the various zones.
I use this to select movies to play on the HTPC and for pause/play control.
It also has capability of playing the media on the tablet itself, but I don't use it in that mode.

racertim

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 02:19:54 pm »

Thanks, both of these posts are helpful.  I have no problem dedicating a windows pc as a media server.  And I have several that I can set up has htpcs.  Where should I look for info on how to properly configure MC for this? And to integrate gizmo?

csimon

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 02:29:18 pm »

Have a look through the Wiki for starters. It's not complete and it's not completely up-to-date but it's all relevant and gives you background - then come back and ask questions!

MC is a comprehensive and complex product, there is so much you can set up and configure. But basically it boils down to how complex *you* requirements are. I think, in a very concise nutshell, you need to:

1. Import your files.
2. Ensure they are all tagged properly.
3. Set up your own custom views for how you want to browse your media. (One point that many users stumble over is that you have to set up your views separately in each of the areas that you want to use MC - Standard & Client View, Theater View, Gizmo, and DLNA - they are all independent)
4. Download Gizmo on your Android devices and check that you can browse your server on it.
5. Once you've got the server setup as you want it, install MC on the client PCs, enable Media Network and connect the clients to the server.
6. You'll also need to set up audio options on each PC that you actually want to play music.

racertim

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 02:38:55 pm »

Thanks, I appreciate the info.  Yes lots of information available on wiki but also lots to wade through to get stuff that's pertinent.

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 02:57:58 pm »

2nd sentence of my post has link to info on running one computer with MC as server and others as clients, using a single library database.
Gizmo is an android app available in the google play store and it connects to the main "server" copy of MC similar to how the MC clients do.
Come back with any specific questions you may have.
Pages: [1]   Go Up