INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Guide info - sources for OTA ?  (Read 2519 times)

kstuart

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
Guide info - sources for OTA ?
« on: March 04, 2013, 07:27:09 pm »

First, I realize that this is different for each country.

I'm looking to have an EPG in MC18 that is just for USA ATSC OTA channels in my area.

When I use the guide information selector, I am only able to find either a) Cable or Satellite listings for my zip code, or b) Use the OTA antenna connection to get information from the channels themselves directly.

Is there any source to download (over the Internet) guide listings for USA ATSC OTA channels ?

Thanks.

SpeedD408

• World Citizen
Re: Guide info - sources for OTA ?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 07:54:27 pm »

I use the Digital Terrestrial Lineup and that works great.  I don't know of a site to download the data on-line as every location will have the stations on different frequencies.  I.e., ABC is call letters KABC and channel 7.1 (7 - VHF) in the Los Angeles, CA area and 10.1 (10 - VHF) in San Diego, CA, but in Seattle, WA it is KOMO on 4.1 (38 - UHF).  So you would have to find a site that could identify all that info and adjust for local programming (especially true for sporting events).  The ZIP code may help with this but I'm in Mission Viejo, CA and I can pick up either Los Angeles or San Diego stations depending on where I point the antenna so not sure how to adjust for that.
Media PC: Ryzen 3900X, Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero, 16GB RAM, Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe PCIe 4.0, NVidia 1070 GPU
Software: JRiver MC 26.0.22, AnyDVD HD 8.4.4.0
Audio Processor: Lynx AES16e (FW: 14.1) w/ Aurora 16-VT (FW: 31)
Amp: Emotiva MPS-2
Speakers: Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers w/RAAL & Horizon w/RAAL and Sierra-2's as surrounds
Sub: Dual Rythmik Audio FV15HP
TV Tuner: HD HomeRun Prime

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 07:56:42 am »

Yup, Digital Terrestrial Lineup.  It should include all OTA stations in the area of your chosen zip code.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

kstuart

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 02:28:31 pm »

Thanks - that was in the middle of all the Cable and Satellite choices and I didn't notice it (especially because the name is so generic :) ).

By the way, two other related questions:

* Is there a way to setup a scheduled recording (what is often called a "timer") without starting from an entry in the EPG ?   In other words, entering each part manually ?

* In the scheduled recording dialog, how is "near" defined ?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 07:11:14 pm »

We try to make use of the guide info as much as possible (if the guide data is there, why not use it?).  In case of subscription, you can choose time-base subscription instead of program name based subscription.  If there is no guide data, you can choose to record at a specified time, for a specified duration, or choose to subscribe at a specified time, duration.

kstuart

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 09:14:54 pm »

Yaobing wrote: " If there is no guide data, you can choose to record at a specified time, for a specified duration, or choose to subscribe at a specified time, duration."

Yes, that is what I was asking, how do you do that (in the menu system) ?

( One reason is that sometimes the guide data is wrong... )

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 09:00:08 am »

I see.  Unfortunately, if an EPG entry exists, recording follows that entry.  You can not manually override it.

Only if a channel has no EPG data, you can record by specifying time and duration.

kstuart

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 10:57:21 am »

Yaobing wrote:
"Only if a channel has no EPG data, you can record by specifying time and duration."

Okay, so how is that done (where do you click to start specifying those) ?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 01:59:17 pm »

Yaobing wrote:
"Only if a channel has no EPG data, you can record by specifying time and duration."

Okay, so how is that done (where do you click to start specifying those) ?

In Standard View, go to Drives & Devices, Television.  Select a channel from the channels list.  Record button should appear.  If there are EPG data associated with the channel, they appear on the right hand pane.  If not, the right hand pane would be empty.  In either case, Record button should appear in the area above.

kstuart

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2013, 07:22:50 pm »

The Digital Terrestrial Lineup is great... but it has one flaw... it doesn't take into account "translators", which are also known as "repeaters".

These are transmitters that transmit a channel in a different area.

For example, the Los Angeles channel KCET is transmitted by repeaters in San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara and also Bakersfield.

The Digital Terrestrial Lineup uses a single zip code, and only gets the channels that originate in that area, and not ones that originate in other areas, but are visible through translators/repeaters.

TV Fool, for example, includes all these channels.

So, how do I get information for channels on repeaters ?   These are ones that I want to DVR at least as much as the ones that are in my area...

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2013, 09:01:46 pm »

One thing I'd love to see is Oz OTA data retrieved.

I don't know how OTA works anywhere else, but here it's pretty much live, so if a show is going to run over by 5 minutes, the guide data changes.

All new PVRs over here will automatically adjust any scheduled recordings to the live information, meaning you don't get 10 minutes of the previous program, but miss the end of the one you want (even if you pre and post record by 5 minutes).

Of course, this would also mean JR would have to update the guide data at more frequent intervals as well, but it would be fantastic!

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2013, 08:26:37 am »

I don't know how OTA works anywhere else, but here it's pretty much live, so if a show is going to run over by 5 minutes, the guide data changes.

All new PVRs over here will automatically adjust any scheduled recordings to the live information, meaning you don't get 10 minutes of the previous program, but miss the end of the one you want (even if you pre and post record by 5 minutes).

Of course, this would also mean JR would have to update the guide data at more frequent intervals as well, but it would be fantastic!

imugli, have a look here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=67992.msg558108#msg558108
Have you heard of Shepherd? Don't know whether it would help but conceptually, an EPG scraper run after an update would drag in the new programme data. Leave it with you to think about.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2013, 10:30:40 am »

Meant to post this here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=81875.msg558137#msg558137

Nevermind. It's just as relevant in the other thread I guess!

SBR
Pages: [1]   Go Up