INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: BUG: DLNA server combines albums  (Read 1483 times)

Mike48

• World Citizen
BUG: DLNA server combines albums
« on: March 19, 2013, 12:19:10 am »

My music library includes several pairs of albums with the same name (e.g., "Beethoven: Sym. 1 & 2"), but differing in album artist and artist. MC18 displays each pair, correctly, as two different albums. However, the MC18 DLNA server presents them as a single album with all the tracks together. This will only get worse as I rip the rest of my Beethoven collection! 

The other DLNA server I use does not make this error. Can this bug in MC be corrected, please?

csimon

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: BUG: DLNA server combines albums
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 08:47:16 am »

How have you set up your DLNA views? If you only have album as a category that you also need to add Album Artist, either above or below that, or maybe Composer in your case.

Mike48

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 07:48:24 pm »

csimon, thanks! This does help -- especially once I realised that there are 2 places to set views, and the Gizmo one doesn't work for DLNA servers!

I still think it's a bug, though you have provided a good work-around. Thanks again.

csimon

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 05:04:47 am »

I don't think it's a bug as such, but it does highlight two distinct problems which are already known about and really ought to be improved:

1. The lack of a central view library, meaning that there are four separate places in which you have to set up the same views.

2. The default set of views provided out-of-the-box perhaps needs revising.

Things appering in the wrong order or categorised wrongly are almost always due to items not being tagged properly or the views not being configured appropriately. It is very rare that an actual bug would be causing correctly-tagged and correctly-configured views to be going wrong.

Mike48

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 11:11:06 pm »

I don't think it's a bug as such, but it does highlight two distinct problems which are already known about and really ought to be improved:

1. The lack of a central view library, meaning that there are four separate places in which you have to set up the same views.

Things appering in the wrong order or categorised wrongly are almost always due to items not being tagged properly or the views not being configured appropriately. It is very rare that an actual bug would be causing correctly-tagged and correctly-configured views to be going wrong.

I agree with mostly all you said. However, it IS a bug for albums with the same title but different album artists to be lumped -- ever. An "Album" is not defined solely by the "Album" tag, but also by the "Album Artist" tag. A demonstration of that is MC18 itself, which never lumps different albums that happen to have the same title. The bug is that the DLNA server's views consider "Album" synonymous with the "Album" tag alone, which is wrong. I am currently using two other DLNA servers, neither of which makes this elementary error.

Mike48

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 12:42:48 am »

Four months later, I got what you were saying: it's not a bug in terms of a typo or error in the code. That makes sense. It's just poor configuration out of the box.

csimon

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 03:22:02 am »

LOL better late than never!
Pages: [1]   Go Up