INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Things I love in foobar2000 and can't get here :(  (Read 7462 times)

ead1

• Recent member
Things I love in foobar2000 and can't get here :(
« on: July 16, 2013, 04:57:50 am »

Few things that bother me from moving from foobar2000 to JRiver completely

1) Tabs

2) the ability to just "drop" files I have and in a second to play ther

3) Filtering, means that if a dir contain both music and images, I want only the music to be shown

4) speed - sorry, but when importing stuff, it takes a long time sometimes !!!

5) CUE filtering, if I have both the big wave/flac file and a CUE, I want the get on the list (CUE), and  not having double files and  such

6) a more simple gui?

8 ) DR - the ability to test and see DR of albums/tracks

Hope you can assist me with all of those questions, issues :)

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Things I love in foobar2000 and can't get here :(
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 05:19:42 am »

1. Tabs are there at the top of the window:

2. I drop files into the "now playing" list all the time.
3. Easily done by adding a "Media Type" rule to the library view:

4. Importing is generally pretty fast for me - are you running audio analysis or something else at import?
5. I don't think I have any CUE files in my library, but I'm sure you can do this filtering by file type. (or just import the CUE file)
6. You can set up the views however you like. The initial learning curve might be a little steep, but once you get over that, you will see how powerful MC is.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 06:05:39 am »

Kudos to Mitchco who turns up here occasionally for his fine work comparing platforms and formats:
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/blogs/mitchco/jriver-vs-jplay-test-results-156/
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?s=26a0a32fff4cee1d8c307d81d04ea8d3&showtopic=92856&st=300&p=829893&#entry829893

8. Dynamic Range
Covered in various spots prior:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=67151.msg451646#msg451646
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=77129.0
... and I've cast my vote already:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=77129.msg522410#msg522410

and I raise the issue whenever it makes sense, e.g.
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=80199.msg546529#msg546529
to keep knocking on the door.

Until it's addressed, I'll continue to have FB2K loaded so that I can run the DR meter over every new track that I import into my library..  8)
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

csimon

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 07:52:25 am »

4) speed - sorry, but when importing stuff, it takes a long time sometimes !!!

I find import is lightning fast. You say "sometimes" - exactly how many times and how regularly are you running imports and how many files are you importing each time?  Sounds to me like you are importing tens of thousands on a regular basis!

6) a more simple gui?

What do you find complicated about the current GUI and how would you make it simpler?

ead1

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 07:53:36 am »

I will want a GUI that is more like foobar2000
Just drop files and play them.

And when dropping files, it start analyzing my files or whatever, in f2000 is so much faster  !!1

csimon

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 08:11:27 am »

As mentioned above, I think drop 'n play is already there, also you can double-click a file and have it play in MC. Does foobar do that, this is probably even easier than drag n drop?

I don't think MC is going to change to be exactly the same as foobar so I think you will havre to make a choice which one you prefer, unless you can specify exactly how you want the interface changed. I'm not familair with foobar, so "I want it more like foobar" doesn't really help!

Also, you haven't answered my question about how many files you are importing each time?  And how much faster is foobar at doing this? Are we talking 5 seconds fatser per 1000 files for example? Are you analyzing the audio at the same time, and getting metadata online etc?

ead1

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 08:13:03 am »

I have installed JRiver

Just use it straight of the box (using WASAPI and such)

Anyway, when I take even 30 files and  drop into foobar, less than a sec.

JRiver - so much more!!! it analyze things like PDF I have there and what ever, when all I want is to hear music on those dirs and sub dirs

csimon

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 08:22:52 am »

OK - well, it sounds like you have not set up JRiver properly for what you want to do with it. It is a different product from foobar so of course it's not going to work in the same way.

Take some time to learn properly how to import your music files into JRiver, and how to sort and categorise them and set it up so that you can easily browse for your music and play it.

Browsing directories in Windows and then dragging and dropping files is not the easiest way to browse and play your music collection!  It sounds like JRiver is attempting to analyse all the files in the directories you are dropping - it's a general media player remember and will also handle PDFs, how is it to know that you only intended to drop music files? If you set up import rules properly you can specify what types of files it imports.

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 09:07:15 am »

MC18 is not just a music player - it's a media center application. This means that it can handle a wide range of file types, from music to video, images, pdf documents etc.
If you drag music files into the now playing section of Media Center, you can play them immediately.
If you drag them anywhere else, or drag a folder containing mixed content Media Center will import those files.

Using Windows Explorer to "manage" your media content is crude, and tends to break down as your library expands in size.
Media Center has excellent library management tools, so I suggest that you import all your media files (which may take some time initially) and manage your library inside Media Center.
Once the files are actually imported into Media Center's library, it's much faster than using Explorer.
You can also set it up to watch specific folders and automatically import content - you can also specify whether it is only looking for audio files, and not audio files, PDFs and image files, for example.

ead1

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2013, 09:10:12 am »

Yep, but orangize album do have some issues - for example, albums that contain various artists

or if I have 10 albums from some one (Neil young), but I want to sort them from the earlier to the oldest, using what I have written in my dir (1980, 1982, and such)

Or to not sort them and just have the same order I have in my windows explorer for example

All of this - foobar2000 do with a breeze

csimon

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2013, 09:14:17 am »

Is there any particular reason why you've started to play with JRiver?  Is there anything in foobar that you *don't* like, that JRiver does better?

JRiver does everything you mention but you need to take the time to set it up.

ead1

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2013, 09:14:59 am »

I love the audio quality of JRiver better!

But, using it is harder :(

jologskyblues

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2013, 09:15:41 am »

^Totally agree with you there sir!  ;D Its nice to have a dedicated music player but JRiver sounds so much better.

Instead of starting my own thread, here is a related contribution to this topic. Hope its ok with the TS.

How about automatic album art loading of various image file formats and multiple cover art related filenames e.g. "front.bmp; cover.jpeg; album.png; etc." upon adding music files or folders in the playlist and playback just like in fb2k?

Currently in MC, unless the cover art is already embedded in the file or tags, I still have to rename cover art to only accepted format which is "folder.jpg" prior to manually loading via Cover Art > Quickfind in file \ Cover Art Directory context menu for each and every album folder loaded in the playlist.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2013, 09:23:39 am »

I love the audio quality of JRiver better!

But, using it is harder :(

It's only "harder" because you are making it that way by thinking it should behave like Foobar.

If you want the best out of MC - you need to take some time and get organized. And not via Windows Explorer.

VP

csimon

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2013, 09:24:16 am »

Yep, but orangize album do have some issues - for example, albums that contain various artists

Can you explain what issues you have?  I don't have any issues with various artists.

or if I have 10 albums from some one (Neil young), but I want to sort them from the earlier to the oldest, using what I have written in my dir (1980, 1982, and such)

Configure your view to sort by year, that is what I have done.

I suggest you read through the Wiki (http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Category:Frequently_Asked_Questions, http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Main_Page, http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Media_Center, also if you have a specific question or problem then search through these forums, and if you can't find an answer then post a specific question here - but things like "it doesn't work in the same way as foobar" or "I don't like the interface" or "it has issues" won't help!

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2013, 04:44:58 pm »

Can you explain what issues you have?  I don't have any issues with various artists.

Configure your view to sort by year, that is what I have done.

I suggest you read through the Wiki (http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Category:Frequently_Asked_Questions, http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Main_Page, http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Media_Center, also if you have a specific question or problem then search through these forums, and if you can't find an answer then post a specific question here - but things like "it doesn't work in the same way as foobar" or "I don't like the interface" or "it has issues" won't help!

Good advice. The old "read the manual" philosophy..  8)
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT
Pages: [1]   Go Up