INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to manage large libraries, playlists and smartlists?  (Read 4248 times)

pvanosta

• Recent member
How to manage large libraries, playlists and smartlists?
« on: April 20, 2014, 11:02:24 am »

I am a JRiver newbie, but smewhat of a DLNA / network streaming veteran (I have been using Mezzmo and Twonky for years and even tweaked Twonkyconfig to allow for the direct streaming of DSD files to my Oppo).
My system:
Windows 8.1 pro PC, external Raid, LAN connection to main audio/video system, My River remote app on my Ipad:
Oppo 105
Parasound JC2-BP preamp (music plays from Oppo balanced output to Parasound balanced input to bel canto balanced, using thr Parasound's bypass function to create a clean, separate audio chain)
Bel Canto ref 1000 monoblocks
Thiel CS7 main speakers
Pioneer AVR and Swans surround / center channel speakers for movies etc.

The make-up of the system is not relevant to the questions, other than to indicate that I am serious about my music listening.

Now: I have some general questions where I am looking for input / feedback / tips from experienced JRiver MC users:

1. How do you effectively manage large libraries (I have approx. 80,000 tracks/files spanning all genres of music)
2. I have created some basic genre-based playlists. I like to use these to more quickly find a particular album. However, I can't seem to find a quick way to START PLAY from a particular track (e.g. track 1 of an album inside the playlist) and then have JRiver play on from there until I tell it to stop, until the end of the playlist or until the end of the album. Am I missing something?
3. Playlist / smart list maintenance: I am looking for tips/feedback on how to auto-update the libraries with newly downloaded content. I add music to my Raid several times per week and in Twonky that music automatically gets added to the library by the mere fact of being placed in a particular folder. Is there an easy way to get the same thing in JRiver

Thank you for any tips / suggestions you can provide.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: How to manage large libraries, playlists and smartlists?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 11:57:15 am »

You would probably do better posting this question in the main board (http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=32.0) since this one is dedicated to networking issues.

I add music to my Raid several times per week and in Twonky that music automatically gets added to the library by the mere fact of being placed in a particular folder. Is there an easy way to get the same thing in JRiver.

MC works as you describe it above...

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 01:43:30 pm »

I'll move your post to the MC19 board.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 01:52:06 pm »

1. How do you effectively manage large libraries (I have approx. 80,000 tracks/files spanning all genres of music)

Just point auto-import to the folder(s).  Tools > Import > Configure Auto-Import.

Quote from: pvanosta
2. I have created some basic genre-based playlists. I like to use these to more quickly find a particular album. However, I can't seem to find a quick way to START PLAY from a particular track (e.g. track 1 of an album inside the playlist) and then have JRiver play on from there until I tell it to stop, until the end of the playlist or until the end of the album. Am I missing something?

If you Double-Click the track in the smartlist/playlist, playback will start from that double-clicked track (all the other tracks are added, but playback starts at the clicked track).  See also Tools > Options > General > Behavior > Double-click.

Quote from: pvanosta
3. Playlist / smart list maintenance: I am looking for tips/feedback on how to auto-update the libraries with newly downloaded content. I add music to my Raid several times per week and in Twonky that music automatically gets added to the library by the mere fact of being placed in a particular folder. Is there an easy way to get the same thing in JRiver

If your tracks are in an auto-import folder, you're done.  It happens automatically.  On NAS drives that don't do file system events (at all or well), MC will auto-import periodically.  You can always Run Auto-Import Now to force a scan.

You probably want to use Smartlists instead of Playlists if want content added automatically based on file properties.

Learn to use MC's properties (your file tags, and more) for Search, to create Smartlists and to create Views, etc.  You'll eventually find that combing views that work with your needs and MC's quick filtering via Search will often eliminate the need for various manually created lists.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

pvanosta

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 03:08:33 pm »

Thank you. I will try some of these out more in depth before asking follow-up questions.

BigJ

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 07:03:33 pm »

How is that going?

I'm a recent iTunes convert, and have nearly 50,000 tracks at this time - so I have similar wants and needs and questions.

It woujd be great if the OP or anyone else would comment further on their experiences and strategies for Libraries of similar size.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 08:57:46 pm »

50,000 isn't an unusually large library.

BigJ

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 08:33:00 pm »

i have 206,823 files from 16,628 albums and 3,087 artists...just follow MrC recommendations and you should be fine...if you have more questions search first for the answer then post your question. lots of qualified users here to assist you.
Clearly, I've been slacking...

Seriously though, thanks, the size of your Library alone says a lot about MC.
Pages: [1]   Go Up