INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Android Mini PC & Gizmo  (Read 3026 times)

rowens

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
Android Mini PC & Gizmo
« on: July 23, 2013, 05:49:50 pm »

Curious if anyone is using one of the low-cost Android Mini PCs with Gizmo/MC for watching recorded progs, listening to audio, etc.  If so, how is it working?  Potentially replacing HTPCs at each TV with an Android device sounds like it could be a compelling and inexpensive home video/audio solution. 

TIA,
Rick

prevaljo

• Recent member
Re: Android Mini PC & Gizmo
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 11:53:57 pm »

I am an avid Droid user (SGS2, Galaxy Note 10.1, and an Android TV Stick RikoMagic 802IV using an MK3188).  The Samsung devices play audio and video well using the Gizmo app (in fact incredibly well).  All devices are using the internal LAN and WiFi.  The TV Stick is using the TV as a display/audio device, using the Gizmo app the audio works for playing my music collection, you get the album cover and audio.  Playing video doesn't work.  Can't think of a good reason except perhaps the Android TV Stick is configured to prevent network hosted video  playing to the HDMI port.  Using WebGizmo works OK in the Dolphin browser so apart from the inconvenience all is good.  I would like to use the Gizmo app but it is difficult to get information about the Android TV Stick and what it is able to do and not do given it's parentage is a bit unknown.

prevaljo

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 01:42:31 am »

Update on my last post.  Bubble uPnP (DLNA player) plays video from the JRiver media library.  Playback is jerky (probably the TV Stick) and the video displays the subtitles which don't display on the Gizmo app on the Samsung tablet.  So the issue would appear to be the inability of Gizmo to play video to the HDMI port.

prevaljo

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 05:28:11 pm »

Another observation on the performance of Gizmo on the TV Stick.  The first time in the day that I access Gizmo to select an album to play the playback is instantaneous.  When selecting an second or subsequent album the delay before playback starts is in the order of 60 seconds.  I am at a loss to explain the delay.  My Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 plays all albums instantly with no delay.  Both devices are connected to the same WiFi network.

nitephlight

• World Citizen
Re: Re: Re: Android Mini PC & Gizmo
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 11:50:33 pm »

Another observation on the performance of Gizmo on the TV Stick.  The first time in the day that I access Gizmo to select an album to play the playback is instantaneous.  When selecting an second or subsequent album the delay before playback starts is in the order of 60 seconds.  I am at a loss to explain the delay.  My Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 plays all albums instantly with no delay.  Both devices are connected to the same WiFi network.

newest gizmo app caches to the SD card (or the emulated sdcard probably on the TV stick). first album downloads, then maybe fills free space? hard to say without checking log

maxxsid

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 04:33:27 pm »

I tried to use an MK802 II device with Gizmo at a friend's house a few days ago.
Photo - worked.
Audio - didn't work (surprizingly) - it would download a playlist (and wouldn't know what to do with it) insteda of streaming.
Video - worked for short clips (couple of minutes). For longer movies it worked BUT it would take a loooong time to start the playback (as long as the length of the movie) - not usable...
Just FYI
--max

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Re: Re: Android Mini PC & Gizmo
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 05:33:51 pm »

newest gizmo app caches to the SD card (or the emulated sdcard probably on the TV stick). first album downloads, then maybe fills free space? hard to say without checking log
You can turn off the caching in Gizmo options to see if that makes a difference.
On some platforms, it seems it must be off for audio to play properly. (Nexus 7 Android 2.3.4 for example).
Pages: [1]   Go Up