INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Movies (avi) immeadtly crash MC18  (Read 1667 times)

larryrup

• World Citizen
Movies (avi) immeadtly crash MC18
« on: April 18, 2013, 04:01:43 pm »

Now that I am very happy with music playback using all sorts of functionality, I am ready to move on to using MC for movie playback.  I have two things I need some help with.

First should be easy.  Any video playback immediately crashes MC18.  I've selected the recommended playback mode and I have done very minimal configuration setting changes.  All the movies are in the library.  Just wont play.  I am using win8 64bit.

Second request is getting movie audio setup.   I want to have the audio go through a 5.1 HT via an hdmi cable.  For straight audio I use WASAPI direct out the USB to a different 2channel audio system.  I created a zone for video and set it to default device and 5.1.  Will need to change my default sound driver ever time since it currently is set to a propriety DACS driver?   Any help much appreciated.

Regards

Larry
Larry
HTPC, , JRiver.  Music Source:Network share drive.  Speakers:B&W P6, AMP:Yaqin 100b, DAC:BiFrost Uber, Headphones:Audeze LCD2, Sens HD600, AT W5000, Headphone Amps:XCAN v8, Woo Fireflies, Original EarMax.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Movies (avi) immeadtly crash MC18
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 05:33:27 pm »

If you can, post a Log of the crash (Help > Logging).

I'm thinking it is related to your audio setup, so perhaps we can try to solve that problem (since you want the audio-for-video set up separately from audio-for-music anyway).

1. Make a new Zone for Video purposes.  Player > Zones > Add new zone.
2. Give it an appropriate name, like Video or something, and make sure it is selected under Playing Now in the tree.
3. Go to Tools > Options > Audio.  You'll notice that this options panel is reset to the defaults.  That's because each Zone has independent Audio, Video, and DSP settings.
4. Change Output Mode to WASAPI Event Style (probably).
5. Click Output Mode Settings and change the Device from (Default) to your HDMI output.
6. Leave everything else there alone, and click OK.
7. Still in the Options > Audio section, if you'd like, you can enable Bistreaming to pass-through TrueHD, DTS, Dolby Digital, and the rest to your receiver.  I'd leave this off for now, but if you want it, you can turn it on here later (but you should consider not enabling it and using MC to decode, it does a better job than my Denon).
8. Switch to Options > Video.  I'd try Red October Standard here, unless you know you have a very powerful machine (modern Core i5 or better, with a decent GPU).  You can try HQ later.  Just get it working now.
9. Close the Options panel and open the DSP.
10. Check the Output Format box, and set the Channels combo box to 5.1.
11. Change Bitdepth to the proper bit depth for your HDMI output (probably 24-bit unless you know better).
12. Close the DSP and try Video playback.

It should work and come out the proper audio output.  Now you can switch manually back and forth between your two zones for stereo-via-the-DAC music playback and hdmi-via-the-receiver video playback.  Once you get that far and it is working right, then you can set it up to automatically switch back and forth between your "Music" zone (your existing one), and your new Video zone.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

larryrup

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 10:44:18 am »

Thanks mush for the details.  I did have many of those setting, but did find my related driver disabled which I did early on in trying to get mc and my DAC working. I enabled it and now I do not crash.  I do not have any audio.  I tried with and without bit streaming.  This is the motherboard sound card driver.  I am using an Intel mb and a core I3 processor.  I tried both 24 and 16 bit setting.  MC error message says perhaps my system does not support settings. The settings it is reporting is 32bit and 192000 mhz.  I went in and changed every thing over 44.1 to convert to 44.1 with no change in the results.  I will try and gather a log shortly.

Very much appreciate the help.

regards

Larry
Larry
HTPC, , JRiver.  Music Source:Network share drive.  Speakers:B&W P6, AMP:Yaqin 100b, DAC:BiFrost Uber, Headphones:Audeze LCD2, Sens HD600, AT W5000, Headphone Amps:XCAN v8, Woo Fireflies, Original EarMax.

JeTie

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 06:58:04 am »

Any video playback immediately crashes MC18.  I've selected the recommended playback mode and I have done very minimal configuration setting changes.  All the movies are in the library.  Just wont play.  I am using win8 64bit.

I am using win7 x64 and made a similar experience, especially with AVI (HD) Video when the option "Hardware accelerate video decoding when possible" was enabled together with video mode "Red October HQ" in general video settings (madVR v0.86.10).
Not any avi file had this effect, just files around 10 GB and bigger it seemed and the behaviour was 100% reproducible (I would provide log archives on request), also the other way round, i.e. the good cases. It was independent of the View: it occurred in Standard View as well as in Theatre View. All AVI files I've tested with, were equally encoded.
Playing Blu ray iso files and also Divx SD worked just fine in this setup. I have not played any other format yet.

Disabling the (disabled by default) "Hardware accelerate..." option solved the issue for me.

Pages: [1]   Go Up