INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to make Display View totally black  (Read 2020 times)

truongv0ky

How to make Display View totally black
« on: May 31, 2013, 08:26:18 pm »

I (and many others) think listening to music will experience the best if the screen is black. We only focus on listening, no visual effect at all. So my question is that is there any way to make the Display View become totally black so that we cannot be affected by what is on the screen at all. (I use HTPC). Only when I change to Theater View, the list of the album appear.
In another way, I want to make the screen black when listening a song, but still can easily to change to the menu/list of album by a single click (not have to turn off/on the monitor).
Thanks in advance for your help.

JeTie

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: How to make Display View totally black
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 05:50:41 am »

I would like to second this request since I see it as kind of mandatory feature as well, wondering why this post got no reply since 2 months.
The Inactivity plugin for instance is very nice but does not really meet this requirement.
(http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=65985.0)

Actually I know no other workaround than switch the display to some unused input.

I would consider introducing a regular new View in MC for an accurate solution, a kind of "Listening View" with a look like "Playing Now Info" which is also able to dim the display to Zero after a few seconds (see for instance the look and behaviour in OpenELEC/XMBC which I would name a reference on this behalf).

Does anyone know a propper alternative to the described workaround?
Maybe there's already somewhere a custom Libray View at hand which includes a dim effect (if possible anyhow).

paul1970

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Fractious Ingrate
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 06:14:53 am »

I only use MC in a dedicated HTPC and in Theater Mode so I tend to set the screen-saver to kick in after one minute and adjust MC options for no screen-saver during video playback. Works for me.

Having said that, there are still a lot of distractions so I shut my eyes a lot when I really want to focus on listening. (If that sounds snarky it's not supposed to)
Heaven: The nicest speakers I can afford (set up with attention paid to room interactions) and an amp that can power them adequately. Plus any old competently designed cables, DAC and a bit-perfect source

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 06:42:17 am »

How about using Windows Screen Saver?

create a shortcut to C:\Windows\System32\SCREENSAVERFILE.scr (Win32) or C:\Windows\System32\scrnsave.scr (Win64) and then assign a hot key.

Assign hotkey --> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-au/windows-vista/create-keyboard-shortcuts-to-open-programs

Any movement will then bring the monitor back to life.

JRiver CEO Elect

JeTie

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 10:08:03 am »

...so I shut my eyes...
Yeah, I like that, too  ;D

create a shortcut to C:\Windows\System32\SCREENSAVERFILE.scr (Win32) or C:\Windows\System32\scrnsave.scr (Win64) and then assign a hot key.
I want to stick to Theater View and IRR: what's the easiest way to teach the hot key to my Remote or in other words howto teach MC to pass it trough? Actually I use "Media Center Commands..." which, I believe, are limited in that direction, do I need a 3rd party tool for that purpose?

I only use MC in a dedicated HTPC and in Theater Mode so I tend to set the screen-saver to kick in after one minute and adjust MC options for no screen-saver during video playback. Works for me.
I like this even better but found yet only the option "Deactivate Screensaver in Theater View" under Options > Theater View > Behaviour
Could you please provide direction to the "no screen-saver during video playback" option.

pcstockton

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 10:20:09 am »

Run it headless and control with JRemote.  Works great.
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 10:30:05 am »

Or Gizmo on Android.

JeTie

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 11:04:57 am »

Run it headless and control with JRemote.  Works great.
...rather neckless but I own no smart phone - really. But I'll give Gizmo a try via some App Player from my notebook, e.g. http://www.bluestacks.com/app-player.html (if it can handle bluetooth connections?)

Concerning the core subject: I'm actually quite happy with the screensaver solution, as described by paul1970. It works as expected, i.e. kicks in anytime but during video playback, however I did not find this "no screen-saver during video playback" option yet - weired  ?

paul1970

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Fractious Ingrate
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 11:20:05 am »

Sorry, for confusing things. I got it wrong. The screensaver is never enabled when watching video and the Option only applies to other situations (like listening to audio).
Heaven: The nicest speakers I can afford (set up with attention paid to room interactions) and an amp that can power them adequately. Plus any old competently designed cables, DAC and a bit-perfect source

JeTie

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 11:32:30 am »

OK, I see. That makes it plausible. Thanks for the replies.
Pages: [1]   Go Up