INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Track Number using letters (vinyl rip)  (Read 3119 times)

plagrange

Track Number using letters (vinyl rip)
« on: July 25, 2013, 07:14:55 am »

Hi, I just tried JRiver, to manage a huge library of vinyl rips. But it is a general rule to number the tracks related to vinyl faces. Then, for a 2 sides vinyl, we have A1, A2, A3... for side A and B1, B2, B3... for side B. If there are two vinyls, there are C1, C2, C3... and D1, D2, D3... etc. Problem is when importing tracks in JRiver that follow this track number rules, track number is empty in JRiver. Could you plan taking care of this specificity in a future release ? TIA

rhgh

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Track Number using letters (vinyl rip)
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 12:21:39 pm »

hallo

you can create a new database field.

"tools" - "options" - "library & folders" - "manage library fields"

in your view you can sort then also

reinhard

plagrange

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 02:57:23 pm »

Thanks for your answer, but I don't want to use an additional field, because most of my other music software can manage these letters as track numbers, including my streamers and portable players. If JRiver can't use them as track numbers, I will forget this software. I have too many records to manage, no time for that.

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 08:28:15 pm »

Track # will probably always remain an Integer and not a String.  So letters aren't supported.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

plagrange

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2013, 03:50:23 am »

Ok, thanks for your answer, but just think about this, because vinyl fellows prefer having letters, and vinyl sales + vinyl ripping is a growing business... against CDs...

MrC

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2013, 06:06:06 am »

Just to be clear, I don't represent JRiver, so please take my replies for what they're worth.

As for vinyl, its not where I'd place my long term bets.

Gains, sure, but very low numbers overall.  From a recent NY Times article:

How are LPs selling? That is a matter of dispute. David Bakula, Nielsen SoundScan’s senior vice president of client development and insights, said that his company tracked 4.6 million domestic LP sales last year, an 18 percent increase over 2011, but still only 1.4 percent of the total market, made up mostly of digital downloads (which are increasing) and CDs (for which sales are declining). This year, Mr. Bakula said, vinyl sales are on track to reach about 5.5 million.

jctcom

• Rush - Styx - Yes - Porcupine Tree - Staple Food!
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 03:56:33 pm »

I would be interested to know what software you are using that supports a letter in the track #?

also is it actually saving this info in the tag? or just in it's own database?

If just in it's own database then I personally would not use it.  I use the "Media" tag for Vinyl track numbering and then use that for file naming.  This has the benefit of being able to be seen in all software (That I have tried).

I don't know for sure but I don't think the "Track #" tag supports anything other than integers.

Carl

plagrange

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 04:23:32 pm »

I use to name my tracks ripped from vinyls on that way:

A1 - Title 1 of Side 1
A2 - Title 2 of Side 1
B1 - Title 1 of Side 2
B2 - Title 2 of Side 2
C1 - Title 1 of Side 3
C2 - Title 2 of Side 3
etc.

Then, to work on my tags, I use the Mp3Tag program, with which I can convert file name to tag as "%track% - %title%". That works fine, with for example "A1" going into track number tag and "Title 1 of Side 1" going to title tag. After that, using VLC, for example, or when transferred to my iRiver Astel and Kern DAC player, my song lists are played in the good way. But in JRiver, they are played in song name alphabetic way. Not good for me.

jctcom

• Rush - Styx - Yes - Porcupine Tree - Staple Food!
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 04:33:58 pm »

Don't get me wrong I do the same thing for my file naming.

But first off I did not know that the %track% field supported anything other than an integer.

2nd I think there are advantages to having both the actual track number as well as the A1, A2, C1, C2....

I doubt there are many programs that understand and display the A1, B1 etc.. when it is in the %track% field in the tag.  and a lot of programs will not end up playing them in the right order etc.  I use the "Media" field and put in my A1, B1, B2 etc... in there.

Of course I do one thing major different from you.  I use the fields to name my files and not the files to name my fields.  So I simply have a template that uses the Media field for vinyl and the track field for CD's etc...

I am sure what you are doing works for you.  But as you can see you are running into problems with other programs supporting your method.  and I don't think that JRiver will be the only one.

Carl.

MrC

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2013, 04:35:48 pm »

But in JRiver, they are played in song name alphabetic way. Not good for me.

First, let's be clear - MC will play your tracks in disc/track order.

What you are probably seeing is a function of several things:

- your view
  - how you initiate playback
  - your disc # and track # fields

So if you're having trouble getting your tracks to be sequenced in Playing Now, please provide more details as to the above.

As to your wanting to see side A, B, ..., you can certainly make MC do this with an extra tag field to track the Album Side.  Alternatively, you could use the Disc # field to track the sides, and instead of presenting a number, use an expression to present the corresponding letter (1 = A, 2 = B, 3 = C, ...).  This is pretty easy to do.
Pages: [1]   Go Up