INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SteamOS -- HTPC / game console Linux from Steam  (Read 3326 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
SteamOS -- HTPC / game console Linux from Steam
« on: September 23, 2013, 08:26:37 pm »

It's a little early to know exactly what this is, but I generally like Steam and they're starting to push Linux:
http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamOS/

It'd be neat if MC Linux could add a little media muscle to the (presumably) forthcoming Steam Box.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Castius

Re: SteamOS -- HTPC / game console Linux from Steam
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 10:42:05 pm »

I have big hopes for this. The linux port could not be better timed.

The built in streaming of windows/mac games. Really changes the hardware landscape for HTPC.
Combined with a linux JRiver MC client. That really opens up so many possibilities.

I'm glad I held off on building my HTPC.
Good times ahead!

Re: SteamOS -- HTPC / game console Linux from Steam
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 11:38:56 pm »

The build in streaming of windows/mac games. Really changes the hardware landscape for HTPC.
Hopefully this will include support for Nvidia's NVENC technology for low latency streaming, or at least Intel QuickSync to reduce the CPU load. Encoding video while gaming is a massive performance hit in my experience. My system (GTX570, i5 2500K) normally has no problem staying locked to 60fps with any games, but struggles to hit 30 if I try streaming video.

Performance aside, I've never had a very good experience trying to stream games. The quality and latency has always been a problem, even on a wired network.
Pages: [1]   Go Up