INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Real Audio without that $#5@'ing Privacy Invading Real Player Installed?  (Read 1126 times)

geekboy200

That would be a wonderful thing. If not possible, can someone tell me if I install RealOne, what can I then delete (or what specific DLL's/files should I leave) to allow MJ to play the format, without having that RealOne on my system?  Thanks

ken liles

Great ? - I now avoid Real Player at all costs because of its pervasive behavior. If I could just have the decoder available I would use it. Anybody know this one...

ken

cepler

Just boycott Real Audio, maybe they'll eventually get the hint.  But be sure to let the content providers know that you do not support nor WISH to support Real Networks.

SeanC

• Galactic Citizen

As much as I dislike the highly annoying tactics that RealOne uses, I like the idea of boycotting an honest-to-goodness alternative to Microsoft technology (WMA) even less.

I will not be a happy camper if Microsoft captures EVERY software market.

Q'dAddY

...Hey Geekboy Next Page ...try the news.lockergnome.com group !!
...These Guys got some nice "work arounds" for the Real Monster !!...and they all hate it too;o)

Ogg Vorbis is the future !! ...No sweat , No Threat !!

...Still can't figure out why everyone is so afraid of the Monster ...I think I'll have My MOM make it go away ;o)
..if no'ONE else can!

Q'dAddY ...I'm not scared(well ,just a little) ...still in need for a "Real'Monster Killa" ...Shrek where are U ?

geekboy200

Thanks for the info.  Yes, I already use a "work around" for the log-in, and have killed off all the auto-update/auto-start crap, but it would be better yet to not even need it on the system at all.  Thanks!

Darwyn

RE:Real Audio without that Privacy Invading Real Player Installed?
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2002, 08:13:43 am »

I have RealOne in my system without it ever popping up or annoying me.
There are 3 VERY imortant steps to the install (maybe only 2 if you do the first two right.)

#1. Make *SURE* you uncheck every file association during install. Use Expert/Custom install only NEVER Express/Typical on any software you don't want "Taking over your system." If you have already installed remove all file associations from the menu.

#2. The disabling of the "Spyware." If you read the install agreement terms it CLEARLY tells you how to disable this feature. You go into RealOne Menu > Preferences > Connection > Internet Settings and Check the box labelled "Only perform automatic services while RealOne Player is in use." This will disable the vulgar evntsvc.exe and occational child processes it spawns hiding in the Task Manager. Click "NO" at the prompt that warns you to "Leave it on" for harrassments sake.

#3. Check in the menu to Explorer > Folder Options > File Types to be sure RealOne hasn't taken over AutoPlay on CDs. If it has click Remove or set null as default.

RealOne has not bugged me again in any way shape or form after completing the above. Please let me know if I left anything out or this don't work.

Darwyn
Pages: [1]   Go Up