INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: implicit grouping by "album artist" is a really bad idea  (Read 2081 times)

baldric

implicit grouping by "album artist" is a really bad idea
« on: August 04, 2013, 12:06:24 pm »

I listen to classical music. There seems to be an implicit "group by" on the "album artist" tag going on.

For example: I have the complete "Ligeti Project" (5 CDs). It would be nice if I could group by album, sort by track, and have it actually honor my selections.

But every time there is an album with multiple "album artists" - as often happens with classical - JRiver MC groups by the album artist. So instead of a nice list of albums, grouped by the album, which is the settings I have chosen, JRiver MC shows me a fractured list of partial albums, based on what is in the "album artist" tag.

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: implicit grouping by "album artist" is a really bad idea
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 12:40:44 pm »

Use Group By > More > Album
I think the standard Album view is special and handles grouping differently.

baldric

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 12:47:57 pm »

> The standard Album view is special and handles grouping differently.

Thanks; is "differently" defined anywhere in the docs?

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 02:23:42 pm »

Read:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Album_Artist_and_Album_Artist_%28Auto%29

The stock Album view just collects by Album title, and groups the file list by Album title - nothing special there.

The stock Artist view groups on a falsely-labeled Artist (top of the Group By), but this is really Album Artist (auto).  If you want Artist, select from the More (sort groups ...) actual fields.

You have the ability to group and organize pretty much any way you want with MC.  Just ask for help simply, and perhaps minimize the extra commentary.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

baldric

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 03:01:49 pm »

>Read:
>    http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Album_Artist_and_Album_Artist_%28Auto%29

Thanks, I did read that prior to posting here. It doesn't make sense to me, but I will keep messing around with it.

> The stock Album view just collects by Album title, and groups the file list by Album title - nothing special there.

Check.

> The stock Artist view groups on a falsely-labeled Artist (top of the Group By), but this is really Album Artist (auto).  If you want Artist, select from the More (sort groups ...) >actual fields.

I don't think I'm using a stock view; I created my own view on "Composer". So, a couple of questions:

1. Do custom views inherit from stock views?
2. Is there a way to create a simple view that doesn't include the "Album Artist / Album Artist (auto)" functionality?

>You have the ability to group and organize pretty much any way you want with MC.  Just ask for help simply, and perhaps minimize the extra commentary.

Got it; thanks. ::whiteflag::

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 03:09:25 pm »

The idea behind Album Artist (auto) is a simple one, and can be thought of in terms of priority, where the first one wins:

1. Use Album Artist if not empty
  2. Use Artist if all tracks in an album have the same value
  3. Present "(Multiple Artists)" when artists vary across album tracks.

But you are free to define your views to use any of the fields you want.

Views by default inherit from their parent view (typically Audio in the case of an audio view).  Deselect Use parent rules for file display if you don't want this, but be sure to define any rules that Audio presents that you want in your view.

You can customize the view to present and group on whichever fields you want, with virtually limitless combinations of values computed from the rich expression language.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

baldric

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013, 04:16:12 pm »

Much clearer now, thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Pages: [1]   Go Up