INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 10 second delay between tracks when pushing audio to DLNA device  (Read 5288 times)

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

Hi,

I'm trying to play (push) music to several d-link DSM-320's as a zones in MC18.

When I play APE or FLAC files there is a 10 second delay between each track.  

MC is obviously converting the APE to MP3 (as per the DLNA settings) but it seems to wait for the end of the previous track before starting the conversion of the next track.

Is there a way of getting rid of this delay??

Thanks
Richard

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: 17 second delay between tracks when converting audio to DLNA device
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 07:01:15 pm »

I can only explain this if the device asks for a large chunk of the end of the file when first starting (we can provide a small chunk with a tag quickly).

You might try different audio formats in Options > Media Network > Add or configure servers... like L16, MP3, etc.

You could also watch 'Media Network' view as you play to see what's happening.

Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
Re: 10 second delay between tracks when converting audio to DLNA device
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 03:08:47 am »

Thanks Matt,

I have tested MP3 and PCM 16 both do the same thing, BUT I did find something interesting.

If I skip forward to the next track playback is almost instant, but if I let a track just play through to completion then there is the delay before the next track starts.

Looking at the "Media Network" logging I can see that when a track finishes nothing happens for about 10 seconds and then the next file gets streamed.
If I a skip forward a track the log shows the streaming starting straight away.

I have Standard .5s gap set along with do not play silence and gapless for tracks on same album (for these specific zones) and everything is being PUSHED from MC.

R

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 08:32:20 pm »

Further to my testing, if I have the output format set to mp3 and play mp3 files there is still a 5 or 6 seconds gap between tracks , but still no delay if I skip forward.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Richard

EDIT:

I have tested the dsm-320 and a JRiver ID both using a generic DLNA profile and converting to MP3 High Bandwidth.

Both skip forward instantly (or very close) but the inter track gap is different.

I measured the time by watching the Network Media logs and counted from when the track went from writing to finished and the next track starting in the log.

ID was 4 seconds
dsm-320 was 8 seconds.

R

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 02:56:26 am »

I have been doing further testing on this and now have some logs that I hope might show something to somebody who knows what they are looking at.

I have tested several devices now, JRiver ID, d-link DSM-320 and a WD TV Live.

NONE of these give me gapless playback all the time, by gapless I mean less than 1 second gap. Since the ID is wireless that could introduce a bigger gap so I didn't test a lot with that, but the d-link and WD seem to exhibit the same issue.

What I have found so far is that if I reset the dsm-320 and then start MC I initially get "gapless" playback, but after a little while I start getting gaps.  After that I seem to get gaps until I power off the dsm-320 and close and restart MC.

I am attaching 3 logs.

1) A log showing gapless playback between two mp3 tracks.
2) A log showing gapless playback between the first two tracks, but I let play continue.  After a few tracks a gap of several seconds started to happen. I believe it started at the change to  "Young Lust".
3) A log with gapped playback between the two tracks

All testing is done pushing from MC to the device and with mp3 files so no conversion is necessary.

I did some testing with Nathan and we couldn't get the gap issue at his place with the same version on MC using a dsm-320, but we are going to put one at his house for a bit longer to test further.

Do the logs show anything that might point to the issue???

Thanks
Richard

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 04:25:58 am »

Please help - there is just so much Pink Floyd I can take! (good to test the gap between tracks).
JRiver CEO Elect

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 10:59:41 pm »

Hello... Is anybody out there ??  (A Floyd  "Bump")

(Sorry, been listening to too much Pink Floyd while trying to get to the cause of my gapped playback.)

Arindelle

Re: 10 second delay between tracks when pushing audio to DLNA device
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2013, 02:11:41 am »

Cant help much - reply from iphone on vacation!

If you can wait til Tuesday I'll look into this further
I'm sure someone will look into this in the meantime.

Might also be a limitation of your dlna devices. Short of reading their manual, maybe you can give some details on how these dlinks are configured. Doubt the logs from jriver would give a lot of info from client side IMO.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2013, 06:02:14 am »

I've tested the unit for Richard for a couple of hours on and endless loop of the Wall + did some manual seeking.  All the tracks switched within about 1 sec.  So not true gapless but just normal track changes.  I've no idea why he gets a 10 sec gap between tracks.
JRiver CEO Elect

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2013, 07:19:03 am »

Settings, virus checker, or location of the files.

Conversion or not conversion would matter.

Conversion on a slow machine would also.
Pages: [1]   Go Up