INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Milkdrop 2 Visualization Plugin Beta  (Read 67028 times)

kensn

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Milkdrop 2 Visualization Plugin Beta
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2013, 10:44:59 pm »

Greetings:
Any details agout the DirectX 3D? I think I have buggy Go 7600 Nvidia GPU. That is what it is reporting on this old PC.
Thanks.
Ekpen.
I wish I could remember the error..I googled it and the first link said to update Microsoft DirectX. So I googled DirectX and Installed the latest version....

I only use this PC as HTPC so it was not a surprise to me that DirectX was not up to date...

Ken
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)

paul1970

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Fractious Ingrate
« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2013, 01:48:43 am »

Hmm. I thought I had made it dependent on nothing more recent than Summer 2010 and only on components that were installed as standard with MC. If that's not the case then I'll try and address this by producing a proper installer or at least telling people exactly what they need from Microsoft.

Sorry, not ignoring other issues that have been posted but I have limited time available this week. Planning on spending time on this at the weekend. Install issues will be top of the list, but some of the GUI things might be quick wins.

PS jdizzy623: '0' invokes the config dialog (as-per the readme). '1' displays help for key-bindings.
Heaven: The nicest speakers I can afford (set up with attention paid to room interactions) and an amp that can power them adequately. Plus any old competently designed cables, DAC and a bit-perfect source

Ekpen

« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2013, 12:15:03 pm »

Hmm. I thought I had made it dependent on nothing more recent than Summer 2010 and only on components that were installed as standard with MC. If that's not the case then I'll try and address this by producing a proper installer or at least telling people exactly what they need from Microsoft.

Sorry, not ignoring other issues that have been posted but I have limited time available this week. Planning on spending time on this at the weekend. Install issues will be top of the list, but some of the GUI things might be quick wins.

PS jdizzy623: '0' invokes the config dialog (as-per the readme). '1' displays help for key-bindings.

Greetings:

Paul, thanks for taking your precious time to get this plug in working within MC.
I  love to test. Period.
I checked my Directx version, it is 11.0 or something.
If it does not work on this Acer 9800 with GO 7600, I have a new HTPC build , almost ready to use it on.

Again, thanks .
Ekpen

jdizzy623

• World Citizen
« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2013, 12:38:46 pm »

Thanks, my HTPC does not have an easily accessible keyboard and the numbers on my remote were not working.
As mentioned by others, the changes to config do not seem to be saved as it defaults back to the original setting every time. Maybe something to do with read/write permissions.... dunno.

But it looks awesome as is, just trying to get the next song text to stay on screen more then 1.5 seconds.
Again, THANKS for your time!

BTW, is anyone else running this in Theater View, and if so, are you experiencing focus issues when exiting Milkdrop?

paul1970

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Fractious Ingrate
« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2013, 04:32:21 pm »

Yes, I'm running it in Theater view and yes I have focus issues! This will get fixed.  ;D
I didn't do any work at the weekend as I promised but I will have time to get cracking again tomorrow night. I hope to have a new version later on this week. Thanks for your patience (or for being quietly impatient).
Heaven: The nicest speakers I can afford (set up with attention paid to room interactions) and an amp that can power them adequately. Plus any old competently designed cables, DAC and a bit-perfect source

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2013, 04:35:46 pm »

FYI: in the beta 19 forum, we noted that Milkdrop can cause MC19 to crash when switching visuals.  Moving the Milkdrop out of the Visualization folder was sufficient to eliminate the crash.

Matt says: "I'm getting a crash in it when I switch visuals (we load each plugin to ask it about modes)."
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #56 on: August 13, 2013, 12:51:55 am »

Yes, I'm running it in Theater view and yes I have focus issues! This will get fixed.  ;D
I didn't do any work at the weekend as I promised but I will have time to get cracking again tomorrow night. I hope to have a new version later on this week. Thanks for your patience (or for being quietly impatient).
You have a very angry avatar! We will be as patient and as quiet as necessary :D :D

You either get around a lot, or it's quite a popular choice of avatar... lots of angry peeps out there! (link expires after 72 hours)

-marko

Ekpen

« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2013, 10:58:59 am »

zxsix: That's interesting. Sounds like there's something I need to distribute & install. I'll investigate. As far as I can tell Milkdrop never has saved the state of those bits of text, but I'll add that to the list of things to do for a future version.

Temeryx: Got you. I'll investigate that.

kensn: That sounds like a clever idea and a good way to fix the problem Temeryx has found. I might steal it.  ;D Thanks!

MrC: Regarding the scanlines you're right. There might be a link, but I'm not sure what it is!

jelyon: It's possible it doesn't like your card, but in that case I'm surprised you're not seeing any error dialogs. What card do you have? But it might be that it's not installed properly. I think the instructions are not ideal. I'll make some new install instructions tonight and include some screenshots to make them clearer. I really need to make a proper installation script though so I'll get on to that as a priority.

I'm pleased it's (mostly) working for people. There's some clever code in there (not mine!) and some of those presets sure are pretty.

Greetings:
Any update yet. I am one of the few with errors due to the fact my Nvidia driver is old. I posted my issues before. It has to do with shader. Driver for Nvidia is 2009.
Thanks.
Ekpen.

paul1970

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Fractious Ingrate
« Reply #58 on: August 24, 2013, 11:33:06 am »

No. I'm sorry for the lack of updates. I just haven't had time to put into this over the last few weeks (joyful stuff like gardening and longer hours at work have got in the way). It is only temporary though and I will be coming back to it as soon as I can because I do want to make the plugin as good as possible. Maybe I should have delayed the beta until I was sure of having more time to support it.

Please keep an eye on this thread though. When I do come back to it I will probably be asking for more information to try and resolve problems like yours.

Ekpen

« Reply #59 on: August 24, 2013, 02:44:24 pm »

No. I'm sorry for the lack of updates. I just haven't had time to put into this over the last few weeks (joyful stuff like gardening and longer hours at work have got in the way). It is only temporary though and I will be coming back to it as soon as I can because I do want to make the plugin as good as possible. Maybe I should have delayed the beta until I was sure of having more time to support it.

Please keep an eye on this thread though. When I do come back to it I will probably be asking for more information to try and resolve problems like yours.

My friend. Enjoy your gardening.
It can wait.
FYI : This is on an old notebook. Hopefully, my new HTPC should be able to run the milkdrop. It has Nvidia gtx 9800 x2 GPUs. Hopefully, by mid week, a new rs232 pci-e  card that was once given me BSOD error, will be delivered, and I should be able to set up MC19 and your utility.
Again, thanks for your time.

Ekpen.

LarryASilva

• Recent member
« Reply #60 on: August 29, 2013, 06:57:22 pm »

Wow !  Thanks so much for doing this.  I have been pestering the JRiver folks FOR YEARS to PLEASE figure out a way to make Milkdrop or Project M work with their Media Center ... FRIGGING FINALLY somebody is doing it.  When I get it going I'll fire ya off a donation.

Arcturus

• World Citizen
« Reply #61 on: August 30, 2013, 12:56:22 am »

So I guess I am one of the unlucky ones. Followed your instructions to the letter, They were easy enough to understand.  Even though I put the plugin in Media Center 19 it doesn't show up but does show up when I start Media Center 18 but it wont start at all. Probably not helping I have 2 versions of MC installed.

Think I will wait for it to be a bit less BETA and for you to work the bugs out of the way your doing the registry mod.

Great to see your working on this though Paul. MD was the only reason I kept winamp around just to run it occasionally, Otherwise I am happy with the SoundSpectrum Plugins AEON,G-Force and Whitecap in JRiver.

Here is a compilation of over 44 thousand of the best presets collected from various sources. I sorted them in so much that I created sub folders for each of the best authors and moved their works into them. I had also begun copying only the best most modern presets into the root folder, Theres about 990 or so.  Also worth noting that presets created for Redi Jedi's beta/fork are marked so. I don't know if they will or will not work with this version if not just delete them.

It's on very friendly DDL hosts should be a quick DL for those interested.

Uptobox
Milkdrop2.zip - 170.5 MB

Zippyshare - Mirror
Milkdrop2.zip - 170.5 MB

Quite the fan of the music visualization art form. Been into it since AVS studio. Sad there are so few who continue to create content. At preset it seems there is only Sound Spectrum who still create and innovate.

MrC

« Reply #62 on: August 30, 2013, 06:13:00 pm »

Arcturus, try the procedure in reply #23.

Arcturus

• World Citizen
« Reply #63 on: August 31, 2013, 03:19:02 pm »

@MrC

I just might do that. Thanks for the heads up.

Fex

• World Citizen
« Reply #64 on: September 07, 2013, 09:59:43 am »

Just great, thanks for this. How I missed it!  ;D

Installation worked over the registry, thanks to marko.

AoXoMoXoA

• I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
« Reply #65 on: September 12, 2013, 12:19:00 pm »

Ran beautifully in MC18 with both Win7 and WinXP

Cannot get it to run in MC19 at all, anywhere . . . even with Marko's reg change
This is especially awful considering G-Force will not install into MC19 either   :(
. . . the game is rigged

HTPC4ME

• LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
« Reply #66 on: September 12, 2013, 12:23:33 pm »

This is especially awful considering G-Force will not install into MC19 either
6 pc's here and Gforce and Whitecap working on all of them (windows 7 32 and 64)

AoXoMoXoA

« Reply #67 on: September 12, 2013, 12:34:45 pm »

6 pc's here and Gforce and Whitecap working on all of them (windows 7 32 and 64)

perhaps because this is last years G-Force version?   But it still installs / works with MC18 though.

?

Either way I'd  still love to get Milk Drop working again.
. . . the game is rigged

HTPC4ME

« Reply #68 on: September 12, 2013, 12:39:41 pm »

could be, i know i received an email from them asking to upgrade bout a month ago. so I'm on latest version of both Gforce & Whitecap.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #69 on: September 12, 2013, 02:38:05 pm »

Either way I'd  still love to get Milk Drop working again.
+1

Sly

• Recent member
« Reply #70 on: September 21, 2013, 04:00:21 pm »

Ran beautifully in MC18 with both Win7 and WinXP

Cannot get it to run in MC19 at all, anywhere . . . even with Marko's reg change
This is especially awful considering G-Force will not install into MC19 either   :(
I can not get it to run either. Ran perfectly in MC18 but MC19 will not load it. Windows 7 64 with ATI graphics.

[edit] Nevermind... Just tried http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=82551.msg562991#msg562991 and it works fine now. Thanks.

William-NM

• World Citizen
« Reply #71 on: September 23, 2013, 02:05:19 am »

It took a little effort on my HP DV7 Laptop running Vista 64 bit and MC19, but Milkdrop2 is running fine now! I got through the dll registration fine, but had to do the post 23 regedit trick for MC19 64bit. Still got an error: Milkdrop error: error compiling PS_2.0 warp shadows, complaining about buggy graphic card drivers .....  so I updated the display drivers, but no joy. Then I updated the DirectX drivers (Ekpen: I just googled "directx download" , 1st result took me to the Microsoft dl site - just click the download link and it figures the rest out- only took a few minutes). The DirectX update finished with a "update failed" message, but when I restarted MC19, Milkdrop was working fine, pretty impressive on the big screen TV!! Unfortunately, it seems to have melted a few of my remaining brain cells, but well worth it!!

So, really just wanted to say THANKS to Paul, Marko, Glynor and Arcturus (for the presets!) - it's really great to have some mind-blowing, world class Viz's for MC after all these years, heh.   ;D

Ekpen

« Reply #72 on: September 26, 2013, 11:49:25 pm »

Greetings:

My old Acer Aspire 9810 died two weeks ago. this was the PC that had Nvidia GO 7600 card, and  driver with last update around 2009. On this PC, I received error "error handling PS_2.0 warp shader."
I got a new ALL in One" Acer A7600U-UR24 in yesterday.
I then tried to install MC 19 with the Milkdrop.dll.
I went through the Milkdrop.hive setup, registered the dll off course and finally got the Mikldrop to show up.
I played a track, with Milkdrop enabled.
My new error again same as the old error. It even went further to say this" Error compiling Ps_2_0 warp shader... Your  hardware says it support  Times .... [Ps version= 0x300) but the pc does not do it properly.. needs  to update driver.
I then went to Nvidia site to get Geforce 305.46. Again no luck.
What do you think is wrong?
This PC has Nvidia GT640M graphic card.
This is a PC running Windows 8 64 bit.

Thanks.
Ekpen

William-NM

• World Citizen
« Reply #73 on: September 27, 2013, 11:25:05 pm »

Try updating DirectX. I got the exact same message, updating the display driver didn't help. Updating DirectX solved the problem.

Ekpen

« Reply #74 on: September 28, 2013, 01:12:27 am »

Try updating DirectX. I got the exact same message, updating the display driver didn't help. Updating DirectX solved the problem.

Directx updated.
It is working.
Thanks.
Ekpen

William-NM

• World Citizen
« Reply #75 on: September 29, 2013, 12:14:56 am »

Glad it worked for you. too. Milkdrop is a great anti-productivity tool.  :)

elysium

• Recent member
« Reply #76 on: October 15, 2013, 09:36:42 am »

I was just trying to keep the thread less noisy.  Thinking about it though, it's possible that the steps will be handy for anyone who is not running v18 and would like to try this out. I registered the dll in the v19 installation directory, and the required registry entries were added to v18, and so the plugin was not an available choice in v19.

Please Google "Registry Editing Precautions" before following the steps below.
Do not hold me responsible if you stuff it up :)

I'm not sure why, but despite saying successful, .reg files were not importing to the registry. Hives worked though...

Close MC (and server if used)
Replace xx in the steps below with your current MC major version number.

Do the whole "regsvr32" thing in MCxx's viz folder.
Go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JRiver\Media Center xx\Plugins\Display\
If that does not exist, it will be because you are running 64 bit Windows, in which case, go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\JRiver\Media Center xx\Plugins\Display\

Right click on "Display" and add a new key called MilkDrop2.
Select this new key, then go up to "File > Import", in the dialogue, change the type to 'hive' and import the file in the zip archive attached to this post. (you must be logged in to see attachments).

Restart MC and the job should be done.

-marko.

Works great, thanks to both the author and your fix. Cheers

appdevman

« Reply #77 on: October 22, 2013, 01:17:26 am »

Got it working on MC19, win7 x64.
Had to do the manual regedit and hive import, wow!

I just set it to highest quality render and OMG, 1080P on 46" LCD is heaven.

I have been waiting for this, didnt think it would happen.  Found it by accident, OMG!!

Thanks, its great to be part of this community.    The Winamp gets uninstalled now.....BAM!

Im blasting a techno mix right now and fullscreen this thing makes me feel rave-worthy!!

Im going to get my buddies on this now, MC is now worthy as heck!

Cheers!

Ekpen

« Reply #78 on: October 30, 2013, 09:07:56 pm »

Greetings:
I have experienced several PC issues, including my ISP wrong config of my profile at their ends, so I had been unable to get involve with Milkdrop of recent.
However, my old Acer 9810 aspire died, got another Acer UR24 all in one. I got several Warp errors, was advised to update Directx. After the update, I got Milkdrop to work. Thanks.
The joy only lasted less than three weeks. The new All in one Acer died, Amazon quickly picked it up. I have to go for another vendor-- Asus all in one. The acer has Nvidia 640M graphic card, while this Asus ET2702-03 with IPS display comes with ATI 8800M graphic. I tried to update the card, no update needed. It came with Windows 8, 64 bit. I then tried to use Milkdrop, same error about "warp ". It says my graphics cards need updating, whereas it does not need any update.
Yesterday, Microsoft upgraded me to Win 8.1, Directx already installed 11.xx, yet I am unable to load Milkdrop. I tried the registry thing, no luck.
Any help?
Thanks.
Ekpen.

Update as of 2:36 PM E.T 10/31/2013:
Note that the Windows 8 64 bit came with 11.1 of directx, yet it failed to work, then windows got updated to 8.1, still will not let Milkdrop work . Below is what makes it to work with Win8/8.1 with Ati version I have on this new allinone PC.

I went to Microsoft site to download Directx web installer. It did extract and  directx components from several years past , was surprised  the Milkdrop then started working. The file name from Ms site is dxwebsetup.exe

George T. Omoregie

Aimhere

• Junior Woodchuck
  • These are not the droids you're looking for.
« Reply #79 on: November 20, 2013, 08:02:39 pm »

Note that the Windows 8 64 bit came with 11.1 of directx, yet it failed to work, then windows got updated to 8.1, still will not let Milkdrop work . Below is what makes it to work with Win8/8.1 with Ati version I have on this new allinone PC.

I went to Microsoft site to download Directx web installer. It did extract and  directx components from several years past , was surprised  the Milkdrop then started working. The file name from Ms site is dxwebsetup.exe

The reason you had to use the DirectX 9 installer is this: the version of DirectX that comes preinstalled with Windows 8.1 (and Windows 8.0, and even Windows 7 for that matter) does not include all of the files previously used by DirectX 9. Microsoft did this to reduce the amount of legacy code shipped with newer versions of Windows. Certain DirectX 9 functions are emulated in DirectX 11.x, but not all of them. This is sufficient for most software, but some programs (like Milkdrop, as you have noticed, as well as many older games) break with the emulation. Downloading and running the DX9 End User Runtimes bypasses the emulation and uses the real DX9 code instead.

Aimhere

Aimhere

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #80 on: November 21, 2013, 12:05:29 am »

I got Milkdrop2 installed and working in JR Media Center 19, but I've noticed a problem.

I have a MCE infrared remote control for use with Media Center's "Theater View". But anytime I'm playing music in Theater View while having Milkdrop2 selected as my visualization, the plugin interferes with certain buttons on the remote. Whenever a Theater View screen containing the Milkdrop2 visualization appears, the remote's arrow buttons (up/down/left/right) and "OK" button cease to work for navigating the Theater View screen. Instead, the left/right arrows will skip back/forwards by a few seconds through the currently-playing song, the up/down arrows switch between several other functions, and the "OK" button pauses/resumes the playback. It appears the buttons are functioning the way they do when Media Center is in Display View mode, even though the program is not in Display View.

I find I can work around this by pressing the MCR remote's "(i)" ("Info") button, then the keys work normally for navigation again... until I switch to a different Theater View screen which also contains the visualization, at which point Milkdrop2 re-initializes, the arrow/OK buttons start misbehaving again, and I'm back to where I started. it doesn't do this for any of Media Center's other visualizations, just Milkdrop2.

I'd like to be able to use Milkdrop2 in Theater View, but this problem makes it impractical.

Aimhere

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #81 on: November 23, 2013, 12:41:46 am »

Finally it worked. Had to use the regedit fix to get Milkdrop to show up, and then update DirectX after googling the error.
Thanks to all for the help and walkthroughs.

Aimhere

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #82 on: November 24, 2013, 09:56:39 am »

I also managed to get Milkdrop2 to be able to save changes to its settings, by changing Windows' folder permissions as discussed previously on this thread. I thought I'd write up a detailed procedure, for those who are unclear on how to do this.

You only need to change the permissions on the configuration files themselves (NOT the "Milkdrop2" or "Visualizations" folder, or the Media Center folder... absolutely not on the entire "Program Files" folder!).

If you followed the installation instructions correctly, Milkdrop2 lives in "C:\Program Files (x86)\J River\Media Center 19\Visualizations\Milkdrop2" (this is for 64-bit Windows; remove the " (x86)" if using 32-bit Windows). This folder contains a second "milkdrop2" folder and several individual files. The "milk2.ini" and "milk2_adapters.txt" files are the only ones that need their permissions changed.

For each of these files:

• In Windows Explorer, right-click the file and select "Properties..."
  • Click on the "Security" tab.
  • Click on the "Edit" button.
  • In the list of group or user names, click "Users".*
  • Down below, in the list of Permissions, click "Modify". "Write" will also become checked.
  • Click "Okay" to close the "Permissions" dialog, then "Okay" in the "Properties" dialog.

After that, you should be able to change the settings in Milkdrop2 and they will be saved between sessions.

Hope this helps.

Aimhere

*(Note: I only needed to change permissions for "Users". You may need to also set them for "creator owner". To do this, in the "Permissions" dialog you would click "Add", type "creator owner" and click "Okay", then click on "creator owner" in the group/users list and add the Modify/Write permissions as above.)

JJay

« Reply #83 on: November 30, 2013, 10:25:50 am »

This is brilliant!! I have been waiting for this plugin for ages (actually, since I got addicted to Milkdrop with my modded xbox  :'( )
Paul 1970, you'll be my official party guru for the year 2014!

On the tech side:
I run MC18 on Windows 8.1.
Installation following instructions went fine.
I had the "Error compiling Ps_2_0 warp shader" error at first launch.
Installing all DirectX9 dlls that are missing and porely emulated in Windows 8 (dxwebsetup from MS website) solved the issue : milkdrop is working flawlessly!

8)

arialmt

« Reply #84 on: December 22, 2013, 04:03:41 pm »

That was easy. Thanks to paul1970 and marko, just got it working for my Win7 Media Center 19 machine.

It like garlic butter on a fresh baked pizza crust, a treat for senses.

highnine

« Reply #85 on: January 11, 2014, 01:25:45 am »

Thank you marko, your solution worked perfectly for me.

Highnine

paul1970

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Fractious Ingrate
« Reply #86 on: January 16, 2014, 04:48:48 am »

Just a belated note to say that I found myself unable to to find the time to properly support and develop this plugin, so apologies to those who put time and effort into helping me try to make this work.
Good news: I passed the development on to someone extremely professional and capable.
Bad news: He's likely to be indisposed for a while to come.
Just an FYI for those who were interested...

mike_0192

« Reply #87 on: March 13, 2014, 11:05:30 pm »

Hey Guys! This is so awesome that you got this working. JRiver is similar to iTunes and in lots of ways better. Would still be awesome if someone could get it working on iTunes as well. There used to be a way on early versions of iTunes using foobar 2000 as iTunes output, then milkdrop worked in foobar. It was a good working solution. But iTunes updated and became incompatible with Foobar.

I use JRiver as well so don't get me wrong, I am absolutely very stoked that this is now possible. Milkdrop is easily the best by a long way!

BUT THE REAL SUGGESTION I HAVE....
if there is some super smart programmer out there that knows how to modify the plugin, it would be soooo (never seen before) awesome if someone could take the anaglyph (old red blue) 3D mode on milkdrop and make it compatible with nvidia stereoscopic 3D settings.

Or simply isolate each feed, the left (red) and the right (blue) so it could then be custom processed to give an immersive 3D milkdrop experience. Man that would be sweet. Anyone else know what I mean? I reckon it would be better than IMAX!

Anyone shed any light on this?

theoctavist

• World Citizen
  • a bad liver and a broken heart.
« Reply #88 on: March 16, 2014, 07:26:04 am »

issues. Any idea as to why I am getting this error?

followed all SOP described here to the T.

thanks for any insight.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #89 on: March 16, 2014, 08:50:16 am »

It looks as though you are trying to import the actual zip file. You need to extract the file contained within the zip file, and then import that extracted file.

-marko

theoctavist

• World Citizen
  • a bad liver and a broken heart.
« Reply #90 on: March 16, 2014, 03:33:35 pm »

It looks as though you are trying to import the actual zip file. You need to extract the file contained within the zip file, and then import that extracted file.

-marko

oh! thank you!

edit. still having trouble. i am unsure as to whuich file i am searching... the "milkdrop2 zip folder has some text files, ini, dll, and multiple subfolders.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #91 on: March 17, 2014, 01:52:52 am »

From your screenshot, you appear to be trying to import the registry hive file I posted earlier. There is only one single file inside that zip file.

You need to extract that single, solitary file to a handy location, and then choose that extracted file when importing to the registry. Note that the file provided has no extension, and that is correct. Select it, and the registry will import the required data.

auralarch

« Reply #92 on: April 27, 2014, 03:43:22 pm »

So, I guess this plugin development has sort of gone idle?  As far as I can tell the OP did not name his successor and nobody seems to have announced themselves as such...  Guess he did say it would be a while so I still have hope :)

Ever since MD2 went open source I've been hoping somebody would recognize its amazing potential (not to mention the astronomical # of presets that have been developed by countless fans) & do something cool with it (make a stand-alone app or something)- especially since Winamp is now completely dead & gone.

I was so happy to find this today...  I'm going to have to give it a go.  I'd never even heard of JRiver MC so this should be fun!

Looking forward to some future, further development/refinement of this plugin- there is great potential!

MrC

« Reply #93 on: April 27, 2014, 04:55:56 pm »

Read the good news, bad news above, in post #86.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #94 on: August 19, 2014, 02:31:58 pm »

FWIW, following the steps laid out by marko, I've never had a problem getting this running in MC19, and just successfully got it running in the MC20 beta.

The one difference is that rather than use the hive file linked to in his post, I found the relevant registry keys under Media Center 18, exported that to a .reg file, modified the .reg file to match my version of MC and then re-imported it into the registry. Worked like a charm.

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost
« Reply #95 on: August 19, 2014, 04:34:59 pm »

Would you share your registry file? Sounds much easier than the hive thing... I know, there has to be done some modification because of different file paths but anyway: still sounds easy for everyone who knows to use notepad ;)

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #96 on: August 24, 2014, 12:25:56 am »

Sorry it took me so long to reply. I thought I'd try documenting the definitive list of steps I've taken to get this working pretty reliably, both for you guys and for myself so I don't have to try and remember next time I rebuild my PC. :P

They're a slightly modified series of steps from what marko outlined, but only because I'm using a .reg file instead of the hive file he mentions. I've attached a zip file to this post with a set of four .reg files. One each for MC 19 and 20 on 32bit and 64bit versions of Windows. Just unzip the one that matches your combination of versions to your Desktop or wherever. Then follow the rest of the steps below.

I've noticed that the download link for this plugin has been taken down and I know the project has been passed onto somebody else (although I don't know who), so hopefully you already have the milkdrop2.zip file that contains the plugin already downloaded. I'd be willing to host it somewhere if it won't be stepping on anybody's toes for me to do so.

First, it's easier to do this if you log in with an Administrator account. However, if you're like me and don't run your PC as Admin, you're probably experienced enough to know how to manage UAC and Run As to follow these steps under your normal account.

These assume you've installed MC to the default Program Files folder on your C: drive. If you haven't, substitute accordingly.

1. Unzip the contents of the milkdrop2.zip to the Visualizations folder in your MC installation folder. That should be as follows (substituting your version number for XX) :
  • 32bit: C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center XX\
  • 64bit: C:\Program Files (x86)\J River\Media Center XX\

You should have a structure similar to this:

Media Center XX
|_
   Visualizations
   |_
      Milkdrop2
      |_
         Milkdrop2
         |_
            data
         |_
            docs
         |_
            presets
         |_
            textures

Just to make sure you have everything in the right location.

2. Open command prompt (cmd.exe) up - be sure to Run As Administrator - you won't be able to run the necessary command if you don't. On Vista-Windows 8, even if you are the Administrator, you still need to specifically run cmd.exe as Administrator in order for it to perform Administrator functions. Once in there type (again substituting your version number for the XX):
  • 32bit: cd C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center XX\Visualizations\Milkdrop2
  • 64bit: cd C:\Program Files (x86)\J River\Media Center XX\Visualizations\Milkdrop2

Now run the following command: regsvr32 vis_milk2.dll

You should receive a message box that says "DLLRegisterServer in vis_milk2.dll succeeded." If you didn't, make sure you're running the command prompt as Administrator. If you are and you still get this message... I dunno.

3. Now find the .reg file from the zip file attached to this post that matches your version of MC and Windows. Unzip it somewhere if you haven't already and double click it. It'll prompt for confirmation that you want to import it. Say Yes. You should get a message box indicating success. If you don't, it's likely because you're not running as an Administrator account. If you aren't running as an Administrator account, either log in as one, or run regedit as Administrator and import it manually by using the File -> Import menu.

4. Now just be sure to restart MC. If Media Server is running, close that as well before restarting. When it comes back up, start playing some music and right click in the Display window, Milkdrop2 should now show as an option.

5. I have run into an issue where switching to the Milkdrop vis caused MC to crash after first setting it up. A reboot seems to have to taken care of it for me, though.

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #97 on: August 24, 2014, 12:31:51 am »

It would be great if the team could integrate this into MC a bit better. I love using Milkdrop, but it seems to lock up from time to time.....
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)

fredele

• World Citizen
« Reply #98 on: August 30, 2014, 10:36:59 am »

Thanks , the link is just above .. ;D

AoXoMoXoA

« Reply #99 on: August 30, 2014, 12:35:02 pm »

It would be great if the team could integrate this into MC a bit better. I love using Milkdrop

Me too, but I wish it was easier to install . . . . .

. . . but either way, Thank you Paul for you work at providing this to us.

. . . the game is rigged
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up