INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: files moved to NAS, now have to rebuild library every time NAS is turned on  (Read 1990 times)

darkhyphenvoid

• Recent member

hi. i've recently moved my 2tb of video files over to a NAS drive. no problems setting up, MC18 can read, display and send then downstairs to the tv via the server. one small issue is that i've set the NAS to power down when not in use - i only watch tv in the evening so there is no requirement for it to be turned on 24/7. however, this means that every time the NAS powers down MC18 wipes the library and then has to rebuild it again when the NAS comes back on. this obviously takes some time. can i set MC18 so it retains the library (and just tells me that the files are currently unavailable when the NAS is turned off) rather than wiping them off each time?

i've left all my music on a separate 1tb drive within the pc as i access this all the time, so the music library is fine.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

Go to tools, Import
Configure Auto-import
In the lower pane Tasks, look at Fix Broken Links.

This is probably set to 'Yes'. Set it to 'No' or 'Yes (Protect files on missing drives)'.

darkhyphenvoid

• Recent member

It's actually already set to "Yes (Protect files on missing drives)" but it clearly isn't protecting said files - as soon as the NAS goes off the files get wiped from MC. Guess I'll try it on 'No' instead.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team

Do you access your NAS on UNC path or as a mapped drive?

darkhyphenvoid

• Recent member

i have it mapped as drive z. would it be better as unc path?

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team

No, I don't think so.

Is 'No' working out better for you?

darkhyphenvoid

• Recent member

yup, set to 'no' it seems to retain the library once the nas has powered down (giving me a broken link symbol instead of just wiping them) and then picks links back up again when the nas comes back on. thanks. i'm just going to have to remember to make any file changes or deletions within MC from now on rather than at source and leaving MC to sort itself out.
Pages: [1]   Go Up