INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: m-search - what is it and why is it constantly sending?  (Read 3099 times)

rh5000

• Recent member
m-search - what is it and why is it constantly sending?
« on: August 07, 2013, 01:59:14 am »

Hi,
I tried to do a quick search and figured out it has something to do with the network but other than that I can't figure out if it's supposed to be constantly doing whatever it is it does.  Just restarted the computer...ethernet activity at zero.  Start MC and ethernet activity goes to about 500kbps and stays there. 

Under Media Network > Activity Log, I can see it constantly "pinging" whatever it is doing...it says Status: Finished; Resource: M-SEARCH: http://239.255.255.250:1900*; Served: 0 bytes; Time...somewhere around half a second.

It does this about 30 times per minute, apparently in groups of 3.

Is this supposed to do this?

I have not noticed it before but I noticed MC having playback issues tonight and went looking for a cause.  I noticed the ethernet activity when nothing else was going on and that let me there. 

What is it searching for and should it being finding it instead of constantly searching?

I have an N-50 Network player that I use MC as the DNLA server for but it is not on and has not been on tonight.

Thank you!

jctcom

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Rush - Styx - Yes - Porcupine Tree - Staple Food!
Re: m-search - what is it and why is it constantly sending?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 02:06:34 am »

I am not an expert as I am quite new to JRiver.  But I believe the network activity you are seeing might be related to you having the "Media Network" enabled.  I discovered the other day that this must enable some sort of DNS forwarding in order for you to be able to connect to it from outside of your home network.  In order to do this it probably pings some server at JRiver (Or whatever it might be) to inform it that your IP address (External) has not changed thus allowing you to connect from your iPhone / Android device by entering in the quick connect code  (Access Key).

Again this is just my guess.  I am sure someone will let us know if I am wrong.

TTUL.

Carl.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 02:14:41 am »

Port 1900 is upnp traffic. This is required for discovery of other upnp capable devices, but also for MC to advertise itself as a upnp capable client/server/renderer.

So yes, its supposed to do that.

rh5000

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 06:24:05 pm »

I wrote a response yesteday and then, I guess, forgot to publish it. 

First, thanks for the responses.

Second, Really?  It's supposed to send out a search signal every 2 seconds?  I've turned off Media Network for now but it's kind of a bummer to have to turn this on first before I can listen in the other room.  MC is on most of the time so usually, I don't have to think about it.

I'm still trying to figure this all out...the network player in the other room, I mean.  Not happy that the N-50 is so dumb.  I don't mean that it doesn't work...it just doesn't do anything for itself.  Whole other topic, obviously.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 06:29:47 pm »

There might be a burst of M-Search activity when the program starts, then it should settle down.

I think an M-Search entry in the 'Media Network' view means we're responding to somebody else's M-Search.  So if you're getting bombed, it's probably some device doing the bombing.

It's possible it doesn't like something about an answer it's getting so it's trying over and over.  This isn't something I've seen before.

Please let us know if you find any other clues.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up