INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: NEW: User accounts  (Read 59997 times)

DoubtingThomas

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: NEW: User accounts
« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2013, 09:16:38 am »

Hopefully we will see a user list on startup and time-out option in a future version  ;D

I would not want to see a user list at start up or any fallback to the user list after a timeout, that would mean extra clicking to get going... and it would really break my startup automation.

Thinking out loud... maybe MediaCenter could add a "startup script" and a "shutdown script" that accepts one or more MC19.exe type commands, so it would then be possible to always startup as particular user and always shutdown as a particular user.

I do many things with MC19.exe commands in my startup batch file after MediaCenter is started, but having the startup stuff as a built in script to MediaCenter would work too.

Micromecca

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2013, 01:16:41 pm »

I would not want to see a user list at start up or any fallback to the user list after a timeout

I think that if we were to ever get such features they would be optional and not forced upon us.

I would also like to see startup script options integrated into the client.

Jim L

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2013, 07:44:53 am »

Good new feature.

I don't seem to be able to create a smartlist to filter on a particular user though. No items are found if I select "User is Jim". "User is not <empty>" works OK.

DoubtingThomas

« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2013, 08:37:00 am »

User Accounts has confusing behavior in the PlayingNow playlist (at least to me..)

I have a user set up as "-[Rating]=[1]" to eliminate any tracks rated #1.

In PlayingNow if I change a track to Rating1, it changes to one star, but does not remove itself from the track list ??  If I try to play it, it correctly says it's been disabled by this user, that is good.  Advancing to it or back to it, skips it, that is good.  If I close MC and restart, that Rating1 track is still in the PlayingNow playlist ??

If I bring up another playlist, and change the rating of a track to #1, it is immediately removed from the display.  Switching to Administrator, immediately brings it back into the displayed track list.

This seems very inconsistent to me and I'd prefer any track changed to Rating1 to be removed from the track list in PlayingNow as it does in other playlists.

Is this a bug or working as planned?

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2013, 03:52:07 am »

I would not want to see a user list at start up or any fallback to the user list after a timeout, that would mean extra clicking to get going... and it would really break my startup automation.

Thinking out loud... maybe MediaCenter could add a "startup script" and a "shutdown script" that accepts one or more MC19.exe type commands, so it would then be possible to always startup as particular user and always shutdown as a particular user.

I do many things with MC19.exe commands in my startup batch file after MediaCenter is started, but having the startup stuff as a built in script to MediaCenter would work too.

IMHO - it would be better to have a 'default user' setting at the machine (not library) level and an easy way to switch users in Theater View.

Mr. Odd

• World Citizen
« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2013, 01:31:18 pm »

If I set up a separate user, will their play stats be added to what's already in my library or will they be distinct? I.e. will the "Last Played" field be different for each user or will they be cumulative?

MrHaugen

« Reply #56 on: October 18, 2013, 02:37:32 am »

IMHO - it would be better to have a 'default user' setting at the machine (not library) level and an easy way to switch users in Theater View.
That's the key.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #57 on: October 30, 2013, 05:18:27 pm »

Is there a way to reference the currently selected user ID for use in an expression? I had the idea of using user accounts to trigger zones in ZoneSwitch.

One could setup accounts such as TV, Stereo, etc. and have zones with the same names. Selecting a user account would force all content to go to that zone. This allows content to go to more than one zone using ZoneSwitch.

rossp

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #58 on: October 31, 2013, 04:45:23 am »

I think you want [User]

Ross

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2013, 08:51:09 am »

I don't want the tag info which is [User]. I want the actual selected user account. A file might be tagged with 3 different users, but I want the User account that is currently selected under View > User.

rossp

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #60 on: October 31, 2013, 12:22:24 pm »

If I play a video with no User in the tagged information in it I still get [User]=Ross as I am logged in. Is this not what you want?
View/User = [User] at least on my system ;)

Ross

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #61 on: October 31, 2013, 01:53:15 pm »

If I play a video with no User in the tagged information in it I still get [User]=Ross as I am logged in. Is this not what you want?
View/User = [User] at least on my system ;)

Ross
That is what I want. However, when I make an expression column for playing now with [User] it only shows what is in my User tag and not who is logged in.

I created a zone called Mojave. I also created a user called Mojave. I set Zoneswitch to [User]=Mojave. I can switch to the Mojave user, but the ZoneSwitch rule only works if I have Mojave in the user tag.

Where are you verifying that [User]=Ross?

rossp

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #62 on: October 31, 2013, 03:34:02 pm »

I have a custom display panel with [User] in it

Ross

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #63 on: November 04, 2013, 09:56:30 am »

Just a note to say Theater View now allows viewing the current user and switching users using the top roller of any library view in Theater View.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

rossp

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #64 on: November 04, 2013, 10:00:05 am »

Matt,

So [User] is the currently logged in user and not what exists in the User field in the tagging window?

Ross

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #65 on: November 04, 2013, 10:02:27 am »

So [User] is the currently logged in user and not what exists in the User field in the tagging window?

In the player bar at the top of the program in Standard View, yes.

MrHaugen

« Reply #66 on: November 05, 2013, 02:30:54 am »

Just a note to say Theater View now allows viewing the current user and switching users using the top roller of any library view in Theater View.

This is excelent! Just what we needed.

Now, only thing left is to allow setting the default fallback user for restarts, sleep and inactivity. Once this is done, we have a pretty solid way of separating users :)

lise

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #67 on: November 07, 2013, 05:57:08 pm »

Hmm. I've read everything here and I'm still not sure about something.

I used access control to filter out all Christmas music all year along, until December.
If I understand correctly, since I cannot add such a filter to the Admin account, I have to create a new user account that excludes all Christmas music and use it for all but 3 weeks of the year. At Christmas I revert to Administrator for three weeks. Is this correct?

I am assuming that by creating such a user, it becomes the default, such that everytime I start MC it is that user account that is displayed (without Christmas music) and anyone who connects via gizmo or dnla or whatever else will also always be connected to that user account (again, such that Christmas music is never displayed)?
A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?

MrHaugen

« Reply #68 on: November 08, 2013, 02:06:33 am »

You can do that, yes. But no, it will revert back to the admin user each and every time you restart MC. So, the system is a bit awkward to use yet imo. We need a way to set the default user for it to be really useful in your case. If you don't close MC that often, it might be alright though.

« Reply #69 on: November 08, 2013, 03:00:51 pm »

When using MC under a restricted user account, I still get auto-complete suggestions in the tagging pane using data from files which should not be visible.

Micromecca

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #70 on: November 18, 2013, 08:10:32 am »

Matt could you please hide the input when switching user from within Theater View and entering a password with ****'s (or at least add an option to do so)

A couple of my clients enter the password directly with the numpad on their remotes and are currently having to ask their kids to leave the room while they switch users with this version. It worked fine using the method I detailed previously in this thread as the input box hid the password.

Cheers

Micromecca

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #71 on: November 19, 2013, 09:52:56 am »

BUMP

Could we please have the option to hide the password as it is being entered in Theater View?

« Reply #72 on: November 19, 2013, 05:29:45 pm »

That seems important. I also think it's important that auto-complete entries will not pull data from files which are hidden from the current user.

MrHaugen

« Reply #73 on: November 20, 2013, 02:17:28 am »

Matt could you please hide the input when switching user from within Theater View and entering a password with ****'s (or at least add an option to do so)

I agree that this is a rather important thing to fix. I would not change users with other around either if this is not corrected.

Micromecca

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #74 on: November 21, 2013, 07:23:45 am »

Bumping this again

Could someone at least please let us know if you intend to address this anytime soon so I can decide whether or not to advise folk to roll back to a previous version for now.

connersw

« Reply #75 on: November 21, 2013, 09:18:46 am »

My requests:

1) +1 User accounts with passwords should require password on re-open/re-start/wake/etc.
2) +1 Password should be hidden on input (ie ****)
3) Please add User to Podcast -> Edit This Feed -> Set Tag Properties.  Currently Podcasts come into the Library separate from regular Import, and there is no way to auto-tag the User field.

Also, this bug has been noted elsewhere in many other places, but the scroll bar disappears from the tag window after editing full tag window fields (ie User).

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #76 on: November 22, 2013, 09:41:31 am »

Next build:
Changed: When editing tags, values used in the library but hidden by the current user account will not be offered as choices.
Changed: When entering a user account password in Theater View, the typed letters are hidden.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #77 on: November 22, 2013, 10:19:45 am »

Next build:
Changed: When editing tags, values used in the library but hidden by the current user account will not be offered as choices.
Changed: When entering a user account password in Theater View, the typed letters are hidden.

I was just using ***** as my password.  ;D

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #78 on: November 22, 2013, 11:12:45 am »

User accounts in MC19 has the new MC field "User".  Audio Analysis created other tags.  I'd like to update the Tags wiki page.

Matt - if you could send me the latest MJFields.h, I'll do an update of the page.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #79 on: November 22, 2013, 11:15:50 am »

Matt - if you could send me the latest MJFields.h, I'll do an update of the page.

I'm wondering if MJFields.h and MCCommands.h should just be included in the build somewhere?  This way, there'd always be a current one with the build.

Thoughts?

Micromecca

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #80 on: November 22, 2013, 11:27:58 am »

Next build:

Thanks Matt, will pass on the news

I was just using ***** as my password.  ;D

HA!

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #81 on: November 22, 2013, 11:29:14 am »

If it would save you some work, and you want to drop it somewhere in the distribution, by all means...  That said, probably only a few nuts like myself will find them, or find them useful.

MJFields.h needs a lot of massaging to be useful, and it is missing what some folks have asked for (each field's definition - only the singular/pluralized names are enumerated).  I've used it only to create diff sets, which call out changes (faster than running through each field in the Manage Library Fields dialog), but had to manually create a separate table which completely define a field's properties.  My script then works from this table, generating the wiki table and supplementary defines.

MCCcommands.h is a nice listing, but without calculated enums, it doesn't provide much value for MCC callers.  My script creates the useful data and comments from this file, outputting the wiki page section.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

« Reply #82 on: November 28, 2013, 06:07:37 am »

Next build:
Excellent, thank you. These changes are big improvements to how the user account feature works.

HTPC4ME

• LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
« Reply #83 on: December 02, 2013, 02:39:36 pm »

i just had my first near heart attack of the year (lasting over an hour long.)

so i wake up this morning to import new files, well last night i was playing with JRiver's user account. Well i had forgotten to click back to administrator. When I was tagging i noticed files were not in my library (client), I logged into Server, and looked at JRiver Server (where all household files are stored...File smissing up the waaaazoo, i did an auto import/files still missing) I searched my drives, everything looked fine, but in my library it was stating i had only 22,349 files, when i should have 755,520 total files.

I then remembered that on the server i had added a user account for testing by going to view/user, and sure enough i was logged in as blahblah. not administrator.

possible suggestions for the future for us noobs/forgetful folk.

1. maybe move user selection to file\library? this is where we switch libraries, shouldnt user be there as well?
2. maybe display somewhere which user is logged in on all JRiver interfaces? (Standard view/Theaterview) perhaps next to where it states which library is loaded?

and a question/major concern
1. if server has a user loaded, why do all clients switch to that user? shouldn't clients either after an amount of inactivity auto log off, OR at the very least stay connected to the Library/user it originally connected with...how i knew something was wrong with my library was actually on a client, (on that client most of my files were gone). REASON BEING... as mentioned i had changed server to blah blah with just 22,349 files... My MAJOR concern what if some of us have adult files in the main library (administrator) and we want to watch/view all our files as adults. the way it sits now... we have to walk to server, change user to administrator (or adult users) and then all clients will have that library/user loaded, meaning when the kids go to their devices being it auto loads new users, the kids are seeing are filthy stinking pron (files inappropriate for children (R, NC-17 etc)!

I'm glad i found this out on a day/week my son is at his mothers. As it sits now it seems as if this isnt fully implemented...I'm now removing users completely until verification this has been worked out/changed...
Perhaps others should be made aware of this (maybe an edit on post 1) as to prevent some potentially big mistakes/fights (wife" why are these files available for bobby, i came home from work, and he was watching Basic Instinct's Sharon Stone interrogation scene on repeat!?"

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #84 on: March 15, 2014, 12:45:54 am »

"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up