INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver not creating second album  (Read 3591 times)

Airfla

• Junior Woodchuck
JRiver not creating second album
« on: August 17, 2013, 11:52:57 am »

I have configured J River to import audio files from my M: (NAS) drive.  I have two different album folders for Eric Clapton's "Slowhand" on the drive, one in flac format and another dsf (DSD) format. Rather than create two different albums in my library, J River has created a single album containing both the flac and dsf files, i.e. each track is shown twice. How do I get J River to create separate albums?

Also, to distinguish between flac and DSD albums, I have included (DSD) in the latter album titles, e.g. "Slowhand (DSD), but for some reason J River does not include (DSD) in the album titles for the DSD album titles that it imports. How can I get i to do this without have to edit each album title? Perhaps I should add that I am a newbie with J River.

Thanks.

kensn

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: J River not creating second album
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 11:55:16 am »

Is the DSD part of the album title in your folder name or Album tag?
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)

Airfla

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 12:47:06 pm »

Yes, all my DSD album titles are in the same format, e.g. "Slowhand (DSD)".

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 01:01:26 pm »

Yes.. I see.. Is this DSD contained in the folder name?

By default MC will not distinguish separate albums by folder. If you select one of the files and  click on tag in the Action Window in the bottom left hand of MC look to see what value there is for Album. If the flac files and the DSD files show the same tag value for album they are treated as so.

If the Album tag is the same for both albums you can select all the DSD files and append the DSD to the name in the Album tag. This will create a separate album for each format.

Once you get both albums showing correctly, and if you always listen to the DSD version of the album, you can "Stack" the albums and have the DSD version on top. This will essentially hide the flac version so only one album is shown. You may always unstack at a latter time also.

Ken

Airfla

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 01:09:45 pm »

Sorry, Ken you lost me. When I click on tag, beside album there's a box that says "Varies". When I click on "Varies", it shows a list of all my album titles.

Airfla

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 01:13:34 pm »

Ken, I forgot to add (DSD) is in the album folder name on the NAS. I just noticed that J River just did the same thing importing Bob Dylan's "Blonde on Blonde", despite the fact that the flac version is on one disc and the DSD version is on two. In the DSD section of my NAS, I have "Blonde on Blonde, Disc 1 (DSD)" and "Blonde on Blonde, Disc 2 (DSD)", but J River simply ignored everything after "Blonde on Blonde" and put everything together in one album. Disc 1 contains 8 tracks and Disc 2 contains 6. As a result, for dsf fiiles J River has duplicated track numbers 1-6, but with different titles. Including the flac files, track numbers 1-6 appear in triplicate.

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2013, 01:20:55 pm »

Ok... We are getting somewhere.

The reason they are showing as one album is that JR does not, by default, base an album by its location.

If you select (Highlight by clicking) on a single track (song) of one of the duplicate Albums it should have a single album name in the Album tag.

If this Album name in the tag is the same for the flac files and the DSD files it will be considered one album.

It seems you were not selecting a single track before you clicked on tag, it was looking at all your files I believe, that why it said VARIES.

Airfla

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2013, 02:16:37 pm »

Thanks, Ken.

So, that allows me to rename the album for the dsf files to create a second album by editing each file. You say, "by default". How can I change the default so that J River does this automatically? There has to be a simpler way to create a second album than by editing every single track. For Blonde on Blonde on Blonde, that would mean 14 separate edits. I have some SACD sets that would require literally dozens of edits. How can I get JR to look at the album folder title on the NAS?

Airfla

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2013, 02:45:08 pm »

Ken, how does this stacking work? J River appears to have done exactly that with some of my "duplicate", i.e. both flac and dsf albums. For example, the alphabetical list shows only one Ray Charles "Genius Loves Company". But, when you click on it it shows two albums, one below the other, each with its own album art. And in the cover icon view, it shows both. How does one stack manually?

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2013, 03:43:33 pm »

You can select all the tracks of DSD Album and just edit the Album name tag once. It will tag all the files selected. You can do this by holding down the ALT key as you select the tracks. Once you have all the DSD tracks selected you can edit the Album tag for all of them.

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2013, 04:01:14 pm »

You can select an album and then open

Tools > Library Tools > Fill Properties From Filename

In the window that opens make sure that  Template is selected, Directories is checked and Filename is UNChecked. In the Directories area put the field [Album]

In the right hand of the window it will show the changes that will be made or if the value will be the same. This should fill your album name from the directory it is in for each album you select.

Make a library backup first, and be careful in there.....

Stacks wont happen automatically... Lets get the albums right first.  ;D

Airfla

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2013, 04:05:03 pm »

Many thanks, Ken. You have been tremendously helpful. I truly appreciate the time you have taken to get this newbie up to speed.

Allan

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2013, 04:17:25 pm »

I am glad I could help....

This is a really powerful program. The time you invest now to make sure everything is correct will pay off later. I thought my Albums were tagged real good before putting them into JRiver... It exposed all my errors quickly.

Once you get familiar with the way it works, there is a lot the program can do for you.

Ken
Pages: [1]   Go Up