INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any chance to download and install manually video filters?  (Read 2418 times)

instigator

• Junior Woodchuck
Any chance to download and install manually video filters?
« on: August 15, 2013, 09:05:11 am »

I'm a user of MC since v13. Video playback is a great feature, but when as my case, you don't have an internet connection on the machine where MC is, is impossible to use this feature, even if you download and install from another machine and then copy the downloaded items to your machine, MC doesn't recognize this. This a serious problem and I hope you understand and provides an alternative way to install and download this filters.
Thanks.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Any chance to download and install manually video filters?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 09:12:46 am »

Sorry, but Red October requires an internet connection to download necessary components.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

instigator

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 09:29:59 am »

Sorry, but Red October requires an internet connection to download necessary components.

Ok, but it's possible that you guys provide a zip file for those who don't have an internet connection with all the necessary components that you mentioned? Where's the problem in that?

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 09:33:30 am »

Perhaps Media Center should use the existing components if there is no internet connection, rather than forcing an update on the user. (which seems to be the issue here?)

is impossible to use this feature, even if you download and install from another machine and then copy the downloaded items to your machine, MC doesn't recognize this
Have you registered the components?

Code: [Select]
regsvr32 "%APPDATA%\J River\Media Center 19\Plugins\lav\LAVAudio.ax"
regsvr32 "%APPDATA%\J River\Media Center 19\Plugins\lav\LAVSplitter.ax"
regsvr32 "%APPDATA%\J River\Media Center 19\Plugins\lav\LAVVideo.ax"
regsvr32 "%APPDATA%\J River\Media Center 19\Plugins\madvr\madVR.ax"

audunth

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 09:50:49 am »

What about setting the video mode to Advanced - Windows Merit based? Shouldn't that avoid having to download Red October contents and use filters already installed? Once set up correctly it should work like before Red October was introduced, right?
Cheers,
Audun

My system:
ASUS  P8Z68 V-PRO/GEN3, 8GB RAM, Core i5-2500K
EVGA Nvidia GTX 970 SSC, 4GB RAM
Antec P180 case w/Seasonic X460 fanless PSU, water cooled by Zalman Reserator 1+ w/extra DDC pump
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Sony VPL-HW30ES 3D projector
Yamaha RX-V3900 receiver and custom built 2Ch power amp for front/stereo speakers
Klipsch Reference/SVS 7.1 speaker system
Always running the latest available version of MC

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 10:02:08 am »

Ok, but it's possible that you guys provide a zip file for those who don't have an internet connection with all the necessary components that you mentioned? Where's the problem in that?

We're not going to spend time focusing on non-internet users.

Sorry if that leaves you in the cold.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 12:43:24 am »

JRiver has already provided a solution to your problem.
You can use a portable install.

You can use a portable install instead of a regular.
When you want to do an update, copy the portable install to a drive and update it somewhere where you do have internet.
After your update, and while still on the internet, play a couple videos so MC will download everything needed.
Copy the portable install back to your home PC.

Note that every time you copy a portable install you have to re-licence it.
This can be done by re-installing MC on top of your existing portable install from a PC with an activated copy of MC.

I live off the grid and this technique has been working fine for years.
Though it may sound inconvenient, I find it easier than driving my HTPC, Server and Laptops to Starbucks every time I want to update MC.

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2013, 01:11:18 am »

That was something that bothers me to. Most the time I use MC with an internet connection. So it doesn't matter that MC needs it for some reason. But it happened a few times that MC installed an update at a location where I had no internet OR I forgot that I updated MC without looking any videos since then.

Just wanted to mention because it perhaps it illustrates that also sometimes internet users run into situation where this behavior of MC hurts.

instigator

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 01:59:49 pm »

Ok, so can somebody just tell me how MC actually install video filters? From a copy of MC in a computer connected to internet, what I need to copy? and how MC does the installation after download the filters?
Thanks in advance.

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 04:58:44 pm »

I don't think it's complicated.

The necessary files can be found at "C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 19\Plugins".
The registry entries are here: "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JRiver\Media Center 19\Dependencies".

I deleted the sub folders in Dependencies and MC recreated them. I deleted both (registry sub keys in the above named key and sub folders) and MC recreated both.

So I guess it should work to copy the folder content to a new PC and to import the registry key.

(be sure to be familiar in how to deal with your windows registry; if you ONLY touch content of the registry key named above it should be save; drop me a PM if you're unsure how to do the above but I suspect you to be able to deal with the registry ;))

jgreen

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 10:14:07 am »

I'm going to throw my $.02 in here.

While it's certainly typical for media player programs to require an internet connection for codec download, it's always bothered me that one of MC's marquee features, Red October, ships in a disabled state.  It would seem straighforward to ship the program with the last approved version of codecs as a default, and then seek to update in the background, rather than telling the consumer they'll just have to wait.

I can imagine several good reasons why this couldn't be done--licensing issues, for example.  Or download size, when including a feature that perhaps most customers won't use.  And perhaps there are organizational issues to consider.  But I think one of the key imperatives of a program as comprehensive as MC is to continue simplifying the experience of "playing" media.   
Pages: [1]   Go Up