INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DR vs R128 difference  (Read 1716 times)

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
DR vs R128 difference
« on: August 17, 2013, 11:18:09 am »

Maybe someone can help me understand this. Please have a look at the attached screenshot.

For each track, R128 dynamic range is very similar but the DR value is around twice as high.

The values with the high DR values come from SACD. Does that maybe mess with the way DR is calculated? I understand they use different methods for calculating DR, but this just struck me because R128 is virtually the same for each track and DR is doubled. I thought that was weird.

I was only able to have a quick listen with the headphones but the sacd doesn't sound like it has twice the dynamic range, they sound very similar, if not the same.

Thanks!

Re: DR vs R128 difference
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 11:35:48 am »

R128 is a measure of the track’s dynamic range, which measures the difference between the loudest and quietest parts of a track.

DR is a measure based on crest factor, which compares the difference between the loudest parts of the track and the average volume of the track. Higher values here should indicate less compressed (more dynamic) music.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
Re: DR vs R128 difference
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 01:54:22 pm »

Thanks, it makes sense now why the R128 values are the same and the DR values differ so much.

It also became very obvious when I listened to the first track and compared both versions on the speakers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up