INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sound Problems  (Read 5750 times)

JIMV

• World Citizen
Sound Problems
« on: August 20, 2013, 12:53:00 pm »

I updated to 19 yesterday and now I get an intermittent crackling on some tracks. I backed out and opened 18 and the issue went away....

I am using a Toshiba PC running windows 7 and my DAC for this PC is the Dragonfly.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Sound Problems
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 02:11:42 pm »

Try the audio option called 'disable event style.

JIMV

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 04:20:08 pm »

Far worse...it put the playback into intermittent. I had to do a restart to reverse the 'disable event style'....

JIMV

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 04:41:00 pm »

I restarted MC 19 and had zero problems for 20 minutes then the pops began again and I am getting a blast of static now and again...Reload MC18 and no problem...so, I'll wait a bit more for the glitches to be resolved before I try again...

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 05:58:16 pm »

Try searching the forums here for previous topics on the Dragonfly - it seems to be a problematic device.

JustinM

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 06:04:27 pm »

ver 27 did the same for me.. Mostly during Videos..  I aslo could not  get the new JRiver asio driver available in REW.  I just installed ver 29.. I will report back tomorrow..  
edit:: also note this problem has already been reported recently by others .

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 06:15:17 pm »

There was also a Windows 8 hotfix for a USB problem. 

JustinM

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 09:18:21 am »

I still get crackling noise when watching videos on mc19, and not mc18.
I have not played with any buffers yet..

(my system: win 7, intel i7, usb RME babyface, MC19.....29 )

fmer

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013, 09:21:50 am »

Yesterday I loaded MC19 and sat down for a listening session, upon selecting the first track I noticed right away how muffled the whole music presentation was. When I switched back to MC18 selected the same track, left the volume level the same, the music had way more openness and clarity. I'm using a Perfectwave Dac and presuming that my settings are all correct. I am sorry to say, but disappointed in the quality sound that MC19 produces. I would like to know why there is a difference here. Right now I'm using MC18.195.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2013, 09:37:23 am »

Yesterday I loaded MC19 and sat down for a listening session, upon selecting the first track I noticed right away how muffled the whole music presentation was. When I switched back to MC18 selected the same track, left the volume level the same, the music had way more openness and clarity. I'm using a Perfectwave Dac and presuming that my settings are all correct. I am sorry to say, but disappointed in the quality sound that MC19 produces. I would like to know why there is a difference here. Right now I'm using MC18.195.

Muffled? MC is sending your DAC a digital signal - so I am sure that is not capable of being "muffled" at the source. Do you have a bunch of EQ (or other things) inline in v18 that are not in v19?

VP

georgB

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 09:43:51 am »

I made exactly the same experience in my system (ASR Emitter II HD Accu, KEF 207, PS Audio Perfectwave DAC MKII). So for now i stay with MC18.
I miss kernel streaming as device, for me and in my system the SQ is the best.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2013, 10:16:13 am »

Maybe this?
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=82025.0

Kernel Streaming is still available.

Try setting up audio again.  The wiki has topics on audio.

fmer

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2013, 12:10:50 pm »

Muffled? MC is sending your DAC a digital signal - so I am sure that is not capable of being "muffled" at the source. Do you have a bunch of EQ (or other things) inline in v18 that are not in v19?

VP

No I am not using any of that gimmicky stuff. Here is my setup:

Preamp cabled to mono blocks aesthetix calypso nuforce v3 9se
Dac cabled to Preamp
Drobo harddrive box usb'd to computer
Dac connected to net by wire
computer connected to net by wire

What I mean by muffled is there is no dynamic sound the music sounds like it has toned down with less clarity and openness as compared
to MC18.

Jim are you saying I should try audio analysis? and if so where do I find that option? The big question is why has the sound quality degraded? Because it has its not my imagination.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2013, 12:20:07 pm »

What I mean by muffled is there is no dynamic sound the music sounds like it has toned down with less clarity and openness as compared to MC18.

The entire audio analysis toolkit has been dramatically updated within v19 - but even with all the cool new tools - audio analysis is not (and should not) be a requirement to enjoy music with clarity and dynamics.

If you have never applied any analysis (or volume leveling) to any of your tracks to this point - and they sound great in v18 -stands to reason that you should be able to play the same unaltered tracks via v19 and hear the same decent sound.

If v19 IS suddenly doing something to any track that has no analysis whatsoever - then that is a major problem.

VP

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2013, 12:21:53 pm »

Please compare the Audio Path in both versions.
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Path

If they're different, adjust your settings.

If they're the same, double-check your testing methodology.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

MrHaugen

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2013, 12:54:52 pm »

A few days ago I upgraded to MC19. A couple of hours of movie and TV show watching, I started noticing a high scratchy sound in some of the more intense high sound scenes. Especially with some high frequency sounds. It's almost like I've blown my speakers. I DO normally listen to pretty high volume. So I would not be surprised if I would blow up my speakers. But that does not seem to be the case. I've connected the HTPC output directly to the TV, and the sound is still there. So, it's not the speakers or the receiver. Sound is there even if I reduce the volume significantly. I've tried to reduce the sound in both MC as well as the receiver.

Have there been any changes that could cause this? Anyone have a idea to what could cause this? Could it simply be something wrong with two episodes of CSI NY I've been watching? I think I heard the same thing during the Pain & Gain movie as well, but I'm not sure.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2013, 01:03:03 pm »

Latest build?

fmer

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2013, 01:53:02 pm »

Please compare the Audio Path in both versions.
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Path

If they're different, adjust your settings.

If they're the same, double-check your testing methodology.

Matt this only works if I use usb I'm playing through the Bridge. None of the options apply when your using the Bridge. Here is something I did not mention When using MC18 the music is distorted like you have a blown midranges. To make a long story short if you get a chance go to PSaudio website I described this  under topic title DISTORTION FROM SPEAKERS PWD FIRMWARE also more under topic 24BIT if you get a chance to read this it might be of some help other members have experienced the same thing. I had to send my dac twice for ps audio to check found nothing wrong with it both times. I,m listening right now same issue. Music does not sound as good when via usb as opposed to the Bridge. If I'm doing something wrong then I need more guidance on what to do as far as settings go.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2013, 01:58:12 pm »

Have you disabled or enabled any DSP filters (volume leveling, adaptive volume, etc...)?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2013, 02:09:38 pm »

There was a Windows 8 hotfix for a USB problem.  

Vocalpoint

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2013, 02:16:24 pm »

Music does not sound as good when via usb as opposed to the Bridge. If I'm doing something wrong then I need more guidance on what to do as far as settings go.

Sounds like possibly a PS Audio driver problem to me. Or even a hardware issue - especially if you have sent them your unit twice already....

VP

fmer

• Recent member
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2013, 02:26:52 pm »

There was a Windows 8 hotfix for a USB problem.  

I'm using Windoze7 64bit H/P No issue with USB it works fine I don't use it because music sounds better through the Bridge.  GeorgeB is describing the same issue as other people on Ps audio website. I think because of software changes this is why the sound change when Dac firmware is changed the sound changes. This has been discussed extensively.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2013, 02:39:27 pm »

Sorry, it wasn't clear to me that this was a DLNA problem (as opposed to regular sound playback).

Please uncheck and recheck Options > Media Network > Use Media Network.  At the end of the wizard, select 'Audiophile 24-bit DAC'.

Does that help?

JustinM

• World Citizen
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2013, 02:57:10 pm »

Yes latest build, and mc19.0.27. I have same issue.
also discussed here  http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=82940.0

It is definitely mc19.. On my system it takes all of 3 seconds to notice I accidently started a movie with mc19..   

fmer

• Recent member
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2013, 03:17:25 pm »

Sorry, it wasn't clear to me that this was a DLNA problem (as opposed to regular sound playback).

Please uncheck and recheck Options > Media Network > Use Media Network.  At the end of the wizard, select 'Audiophile 24-bit DAC'.

Does that help?
No. There is no distortion on MC19 that I can detect only on 18 just sound quality.

fmer

• Recent member
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2013, 03:21:22 pm »

Sound quality on 19.

JustinM

• World Citizen
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2013, 03:27:44 pm »

I believe changing my audio-> device setting-> buffer; from 50 ms (recommended default) to 100 ms has cured my problem.

**EDIT**  pls note that my buffer setting in mc18 was .46 sec (and I could  go much less)

adamt

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2013, 04:03:39 pm »

We've found volume leveling is getting applied when it's not supposed to.  It's reproducible and we're working on it.  Thanks for the report. 
Adam Thompson, JRiver

fmer

• Recent member
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2013, 04:48:45 pm »

We've found volume leveling is getting applied when it's not supposed to.  It's reproducible and we're working on it.  Thanks for the report. 

Correct me if I am wrong, as I understand it your strictly saying that this is effecting loudness only, and has nothing to do with clarity and openness.

Trumpetguy

« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2013, 02:48:50 am »

Correct me if I am wrong, as I understand it your strictly saying that this is effecting loudness only, and has nothing to do with clarity and openness.

Small changes in loudness have a very pronounced effect on perceived quality of sound. 

rayooo

• World Citizen
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2013, 07:15:00 am »

does this mean that if volume leveling is disabled, it's still affecting playback?
MC-27-28> Meitner MA 1V2> CJ-GatV2> CJ ART 300s> Magnepan 20.7

adamt

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2013, 07:51:34 am »

does this mean that if volume leveling is disabled, it's still affecting playback?

This was affecting some DLNA zones.  It's been corrected and will be in the next build.  

EDIT: Try the latest build here http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=82999.0
Adam Thompson, JRiver

MrHaugen

« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2013, 08:24:46 am »

A few days ago I upgraded to MC19. A couple of hours of movie and TV show watching, I started noticing a high scratchy sound in some of the more intense high sound scenes. Especially with some high frequency sounds. It's almost like I've blown my speakers. I DO normally listen to pretty high volume. So I would not be surprised if I would blow up my speakers. But that does not seem to be the case. I've connected the HTPC output directly to the TV, and the sound is still there. So, it's not the speakers or the receiver. Sound is there even if I reduce the volume significantly. I've tried to reduce the sound in both MC as well as the receiver.

Have there been any changes that could cause this? Anyone have a idea to what could cause this? Could it simply be something wrong with two episodes of CSI NY I've been watching? I think I heard the same thing during the Pain & Gain movie as well, but I'm not sure.

Yesterday I noticed the terrible sound again. After this portion of bad sound, the volume was lowered for a few seconds. It was like the volume protection was activated, but the bad sound is not actually that much higher than normal. Anyone know why it could be that the output is considered so high that this would occur? Only settings I've adjusted is to increase the Pre Amp output under Equalizer by +4-5 dB. I'll try to update to the latest build tonight.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2013, 09:03:17 am »

The DLNA volume problem should be fixed in 19.0.31:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=82999.0

fmer

• Recent member
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2013, 10:45:08 am »

Ok I just updated to the latest version and did a comparison between 19 & 18.194. The muffled sound in 19 has been cured, 18 & 19 sound exactly the same in regards to openness and clarity, but the music sounds distorted like I described in both 18 & 19 exactly the same. This has been going on for some time as I wrote in my earlier posts. Nice to see that the first problem has been fixed. Now if you software genesis could figure out the second problem that would be awesome. As the music presentation doesn't get much better when using the P/W dac with the Bridge. I will post on PS audio website to see if other members are having the same issue.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2013, 10:53:44 am »

Ok I just updated to the latest version and did a comparison between 19 & 18.194. The muffled sound in 19 has been cured, 18 & 19 sound exactly the same in regards to openness and clarity

That's good to hear.  Sorry for the trouble.

As the music presentation doesn't get much better when using the P/W dac with the Bridge. I will post on PS audio website to see if other members are having the same issue.

If it sounds bad even in USB mode, it may be something downstream misbehaving like an amplifier, speaker, etc.

fmer

• Recent member
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2013, 10:58:52 am »

Matt when I use usb the music is crystal clear as I have already done the comparison there is something else going on with the software.

georgB

• Recent member
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2013, 12:55:24 pm »

I installed 19.31 and still no kernel streaming available under options - music...

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2013, 05:25:56 pm »

I installed 19.31 and still no kernel streaming available under options - music...

If you have Kernel Streaming devices, they will be listed in the 'More' submenu here:
Options > Audio > Audio Device > More

(ps. Kernel Streaming is not recommended unless you're using Windows XP or earlier)
Pages: [1]   Go Up