INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Backing up MC  (Read 2048 times)

DavidZ

• Junior Woodchuck
Backing up MC
« on: September 03, 2013, 07:58:18 am »

I am a relatively new user of MC, and currently have my library in a folder on an external hard drive. I want to work out a procedure for backing up that drive. Obviously, I'd like to ensure that all my tagging info, etc., is backed up as well, so I can reinstall with a minimum of pain. I noted that MC puts a lot of files in my library folder-- presumably that includes the tags. Can I assume that if I back up the library folder, I have all I need to restore MC after a crash? Thanks. -- David

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost
Re: Backing up MC
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 08:42:55 am »

You can. I'm doing this since years now and it works. But anyway: it's neither the best nor the easiest way to create backups.

MC has a build in backup system which is beyond of what your are going to do. MC will backup your program settings as well as your library. So you not only have all your tags, Playlists, smartlists stored in your backup, but also your zone settings, personal views and so on. Maybe you'll say you don't need, but be sure: you will once you used MC for some time ;)

You can configure where MC should put its backups under Tools > Options... > File Location > Programm Files > Library Backups. It will create backups as a zip file. If you tell MC to restore a backup it'll ask you whether to restore your library (file tags, playlists, smartlists etc), your program settings (zones, views, handhelds etc.) or both of them.

Give it a try! It's the best way.

For me I also backup MC program folder manually (to have a backup of my personal skins, visualizations and some custom data). And I still backup my library folder for some reason. It doesn't need much space, so I don't mind even I'll probably never need it ;)

DavidZ

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 01:29:01 pm »

Awesome, thanks! I will check it out. Just curious.....is the MC backup system incremental? I assume so, given that I (and many other users Im sure) have about 800 gb in the library!

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 01:55:09 pm »

It is NOT incremental and it does NOT save your music/video/picture files!

MCs backup only saves the meta data (tag infos) stored inside its library which maybe as well stored inside the files but must not stored there. So, if you lose all your files, you'll still have them listed in MCs library with a yellow x. You'll still see that the file was there but you'll of course not be able to play it any more as the concrete file is deleted.

You have to backup your music/video/picture files manually!

I use the free version of SyncBack for this task. It does incremental backups.

If you mess up all your tags/meta info (inside or outside MC) a library backup will help you. If you lose your music files, a manual backup is your help!

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 01:58:56 pm »

To make this clear again:

library ≠ audio/video/picture files

The library is MCs internal database to keep track of your audio/video/picture files.

DavidZ

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 02:41:00 pm »

StFeder: Awesome, thanks so much for your patience with me. At the risk of trying that patience with one more question  ;D, let me pose one more, specific to my situation. The overwhelming majority of my files are ripped CD's. It's clear to me that MC recognizes those and their tags, and a library can be restored very easily. HOwever, I am also in the process of ripping vinyl with an ADC and importing those files into MC. I then tag them, and they look like any other album. So, say I have dutifully backed up my library, and also saved the original vinyl-rip files. Will MC be able to recognize which tags go with which vinyl rip files, the way it can for the CD rips? I'm guessing yes, but would feel better with an inkling of how. -- David

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 02:48:23 pm »

MC associates entries in the Library with physical files.  So long as they remain in the same location, MC maintains this association.  If they are moved, MC can typically manage reconnecting them (so long as the moves are "simple", via auto-import's Fix broken links option), or you will have to reconnect them (typically this is little more than making a simple change to the Filename field in MC for each item).

If you move the files in some impossible-to-automate folder scheme, then you'll equally have to manually re-associate the files.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

DavidZ

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 02:56:10 pm »

Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up