INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cleaning up recent movies and shows  (Read 1727 times)

akira54

• Galactic Citizen
Cleaning up recent movies and shows
« on: August 30, 2013, 06:45:26 am »

Hi,

As a newby to MC I am confused about what has been automatically scanned into Video. Although the film scan was pretty good and required little editing the TV shows are pretty messed up. For one I noticed that many films have ended up in Shows. When I delete them there (Remove from Media Library) they suddenly disappear from Movies too. So how do I assign films to Movies and tv series to Shows?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Cleaning up recent movies and shows
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 06:56:56 am »

Edit the tag called "Media Subtype".

akira54

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 10:14:43 am »

Of course. I only just now discovered the tag panel can be expanded and how to tag multiple files. Nevertheless, this is a lot of work. Is there any way in which to tell MC that a particular folder contains TV Shows rather than films.

PS. Yes I know about the tagging convention, unfortunately I tagged many of my shows with a dot separating the season from the episode (Star Trek Deep Space Nine.s05e.03.mkv instead of Star Trek Deep Space Nine.s05e03.mkv) and it doesn't look as if MC accepts this convention.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 10:18:15 am »

You can do this for both future imports through auto-tagging rules, and for your already-imported files.

For your already imported files, in the Search bar, type in as much of the path portion as you need to uniquely identify your TV Shows' path.  You'll now have a list of files you can select and tag.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 08:17:25 pm »

PS. Yes I know about the tagging convention, unfortunately I tagged many of my shows with a dot separating the season from the episode (Star Trek Deep Space Nine.s05e.03.mkv instead of Star Trek Deep Space Nine.s05e03.mkv) and it doesn't look as if MC accepts this convention.
You can use Tools > Library Tools > Fill Properties From Filename… with the following to fix that:

[Series].s[Season]e.[Episode].mkv

And depending on how you have your files organized, you may be able to simplify setting the Media Sub Type with an expression such as:

Code: (Media Sub Type) [Select]
if(isequal([Filename (path)],TV,8),TV Show,
if(isequal([Filename (path)],Downloads,8),Other,
Movie))
In English, that's doing a comparison to see:
  • Does the folder structure contain "TV" in it? If it does, set the Media Sub Type to "TV Show"
  • Does the folder structure contain "Downloads" in it? If it does, set Media Sub Type to "Other"
  • For all other folders, set Media Sub Type to "Movie"

The rule is applied to my \Video\ folder, and the folder structure I use on all my drives is:

\Video\Downloads
\Video\New
\Video\TV
\Video\Watched

This way, as long as the file is placed into the correct directory, the Media Sub Type will be set correctly without Media Center having to guess. (the new/watched directories are only used for Movies)

akira54

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2013, 03:18:19 am »

Thank you, that was very helpful.
Pages: [1]   Go Up