INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stereo FLAC output 5.1 instead of 2.1  (Read 1637 times)

Lonx

• Recent member
Stereo FLAC output 5.1 instead of 2.1
« on: September 05, 2013, 11:41:43 pm »

I have setup MC with 5.1 configuration, HDMI output to receiver with no bitstream and selected the option to output 2.1 with stereo sources. Why oh why is it upmixing to 5.1 when I play FLAC audio files?

I was hoping it was just a cosmetic bug but it's definitely playing through center and surrounds :( Any ideas? MC indicates it is outputting 6 channels so it definitely appears to be on the software side. Hopefully I have just missed something obvious.

Another small issue is failure to auto-update from 19.0.32 (I think) but happy to reinstall if I need to as I'm only trialling at the moment. Cheers.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Stereo FLAC output 5.1 instead of 2.1
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 12:25:04 am »

Is it on JRSS Mixing? You didn't choose Dolby Digital as output format? I don't think either of those will upmix stereo to 5.1 though. I don't think JRiver will upmix to 5.1 at all unless you start mixing channels with the parametric equalizer.

There can be several reasons I can think of, your receiver is set to some surround mode or your soundcard drivers upmix (Asus Xonar did this by default).

Lonx

• Recent member
Re: Stereo FLAC output 5.1 instead of 2.1
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 12:33:12 am »

Yeah JRSS is on (the default or recommended option) and reading the basics of it here http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Mixing makes me think you might've nailed it. It wouldn't worry me if I have to disable this, as my sources are generally surround for all video and stereo only for music (which I want to obviously retain). I'll check when I get home, thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up