INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Auto Import  (Read 5676 times)

InsaneRC

• Junior Woodchuck
Auto Import
« on: September 02, 2013, 10:10:09 pm »

Auto Import doesn't seem to be working. I have to run manually to get new items to show up in library. And yes I have folders set.
Licensed User:
JRiver Media Center 12-->27

SRIGGA

• Recent member
Re: Auto Import
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 04:18:36 pm »

Same problem here. :( after downloading a movie MC19 doesn't always show the movie on Movie section nor by the Shows Section. but.... when i do a  search on Files Section for what I'm looking for it does show-up.Come How it Doesn't Show-up By the Movies? ::) And yes I have folders set As well. If Someone know how to get this fixed please help :'(

wagenveld

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 04:08:00 pm »

Can I throw my vote in here also please. It would be great to know even if this issue is acknowledged and being worked on.
Reviewing a number of other topics this seems a valid issue. I've followed all steps to enable auto import a number of times. All my files are on a NAS.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 04:09:44 pm »

wagenveld

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 11:36:43 am »

I thought I did but it's .32! I will update and monitor.

SRIGGA

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 03:03:07 pm »

im useing Media Center 19.0.38

wagenveld

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 12:14:17 pm »

With .41 the issue persists.

whatsup

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 03:34:33 pm »

I'm running .41 and just added 6 new cds and auto import worked fine here.

SRIGGA

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2013, 05:58:18 am »

hi I'm also using JRiver Media Center 19.0.41 Now, Everything Seems To Work Fine. I Only Have 1 Lil Problem, I Would Like To Know How To Group A Tv Series, Sins i Start Using JRiver Media Center 19.0.41 My Tv show episodes are all over, Means...I Have Braking Bad Tv shows Season1,2,3 They all are in one folder but when i import to jriver it doesn't show up in one folder, please take a look at the picture then you Will understand what i mean, help me to get them to a one folder :'

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2013, 01:26:56 pm »

Please show the tag values for some of the Breaking Bad shows.

Select one episode, and go to the Tag Action Window.  Let's see the tags for:

Name
   Series
   Season
   Episode
   Media Sub Type
   Media Type

Do it again for one more episode.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

wagenveld

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2013, 11:10:53 am »

To go back on topic I've been monitoring for a while but it seems to be a bit of hit and miss situation.
What is the timeout configured for auto import? It seems sometimes it will pick up new TV episodes and sometimes it will not. Manually running auto import does find them.
Since only TV episodes get added daily that's the only category I've been looking at. Is there some form of logging I can enable?

Vocalpoint

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2013, 12:41:04 pm »

To go back on topic I've been monitoring for a while but it seems to be a bit of hit and miss situation.  What is the timeout configured for auto import? It seems sometimes it will pick up new TV episodes and sometimes it will not. Manually running auto import does find them. Since only TV episodes get added daily that's the only category I've been looking at. Is there some form of logging I can enable?

How exactly are you naming your TV episodes? I find if they are not in a standard "S01E05.mkv" or similar kind of naming convention AND in an organized folder structure - hit and miss is probably what you will get.

I do not have many TV series but the ones that I do have...Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Entourage etc...all have a specific folder structure and naming convention and they all came in with full IMDB data etc...ready to roll.

VP

MrC

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2013, 12:48:49 pm »

I think wagenveld is implying that, as per the original post, auto-import is not picking up new files.  And in that case, I'd guess the files are on a NAS (whereby some have trouble posting file change notifications).

Or alternatively, it could be that the wrong Media Type or Media Sub Type is being set, so the files aren't in the view.

Just my 2c.

wagenveld

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2013, 01:33:25 pm »

Indeed they are on a NAS and every show is ordered by season etc with the right naming convention. Again manual auto import (whats in a name) does pick them up successfully.
So, these file change notifications is what the program relies on, how can I log and/or monitor these?

MrC

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2013, 01:55:25 pm »

MC's auto-import is supposed to either detect the change notifications, or check for changes every 5 minutes for the cases where these aren't being generated.

One of the JRiver developers will have to advise about further diagnostics.

tboooe

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2013, 11:32:06 am »

I am on .45 release and continue to have problems with auto import of music files.  All my music is on a THECUS N4100Pro NAS mapped to a drive M.  I have this drive set in auto import settings.  If I wait a while or do a manual library import the files show up fine.  The strange thing is if I delete a file via Windows the change shows up immediately in MC tagged with a red "x" which leads me to believe MC is monitoring the folder correctly in real time.  I would greatly appreciate any insight on this issue.  

Edit: not sure if it matters but the PC running MC is connected to my network wirelessly.  My NAS is connected to the router upstairs.  

Edit2: I added the local My Music folder to MC auto import list and it still does not work. 

wagenveld

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2013, 11:38:31 am »

Seems the NAS is a common factor, but is this part of the cause as well?
I have been monitoring over the past week or so, and once all TV episodes for the day were picked up. Every other time I had to run the import manually. Once or twice it actually picked up 1 episode automatically but not two other ones that were downloaded at the same time. It just seems to be a completely random issue which doesn't make it easy to troubleshoot (or replicate for that matter).
Some feedback from a dev would be helpful though.

SRIGGA

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2013, 11:46:59 am »

Auto import Working perfect With MC 19.0.49 :) Thank you team

wagenveld

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2013, 12:00:50 pm »

Is your media on a NAS or a local drive SRIGGA?

SRIGGA

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2013, 07:00:26 am »

@Wagenveld. My media is on local driver's and on external hard drive they all import without a problem

danimal

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2013, 08:48:57 pm »

I'm running off a NAS and auto-import doesn't seem to catch new files.  They do appear when I run manual import.  Any ideas for a fix?  I'm running 19.0.54

wagenveld

• Recent member
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2013, 02:20:38 pm »

Kick - this is still the same in the latest version.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2013, 04:00:02 pm »

I've explained this elsewhere in greater detail, but the rub is:  Many NAS boxes don't fully support Microsoft's Filesystem Events model (or do so only in a broken fashion).

For MC's auto-import system to work properly, your NAS must support Filesystem Events properly.  If you are having trouble on a NAS drive, but local file imports work fine, then you are (in all likelihood) looking at a problem with your particular NAS implementation.  Check for a firmware update, but otherwise, there likely isn't much JRiver can do.

Auto-Import does also periodically does a full scan (I think something like every three hours), which will pick up new files even if Filesystem Events aren't available.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

wagenveld

• Recent member
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2013, 04:34:27 pm »

Fair enough if that's the case. However a lot of us do have NAS drives for storage so we do need a workaround that doesn't involve changing display mode and going through menu's to run the auto import.
Can I suggest an option whereby the auto import window can be adjusted from 3 hours to say 10 minutes? Also a manual button in theater view somewhere to run auto import would be very welcome.
Let me know what you think.

Arindelle

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2013, 03:25:57 pm »

:o every ten minutes ?!  Its pretty easy to go back and forth to standard view. I'm sure you can even program Shift+F11 into a remote, if a mouse isn't around

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2013, 04:22:07 pm »

Can I suggest an option whereby the auto import window can be adjusted from 3 hours to say 10 minutes? Also a manual button in theater view somewhere to run auto import would be very welcome.

Again, I strongly recommend that you check your particular NAS for firmware updates.  It is entirely possible that your vendor has fixed their broken implementation.

However...

The full auto-import scan is a disk I/O intensive operation which, particularly when using a bandwidth-limited NAS over the network, could cause playback to stutter and other nasty side-effects if it happens at the exact wrong time.  That's why JRiver doesn't just do a scan on such a frequent basis and uses the (much more elegant) filesystem events model.  For the record, the NAS should support filesystem events.  If it doesn't, it is out of spec.  The problem is that older versions of Samba (the open source SMB server for Linux) didn't properly support them, and lots of NAS vendors just blindly implement Samba.

Anyhow...  This command line will cause MC to do the same thing as manually going to Import > Run Import Now, only it won't show a confirmation dialog when it is done (it is silent):

mc19.exe /MCC 23020,1

So, you can schedule this to happen as often as you'd like via the Windows Task Scheduler.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

wagenveld

• Recent member
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2013, 04:52:44 pm »

Thanks! I'll try that out.
I understand the i/o implications of course. I have a Synology with the latest software and they do not support the complete system, only if I were to copy files to the NAS from a Windows machine (http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=58409) And this is a leading manufacturer!
Will keep an eye out for updates but since I've been used to doing auto imports like this in MediaPortal and XBMC I don't see it impacting playback at all. The setup has been designed with 4/5 clients in mind.
Pages: [1]   Go Up