INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DigitalConsumer.Org  (Read 3223 times)

Harry The Hipster

DigitalConsumer.Org
« on: March 14, 2002, 09:18:26 am »

A number of high-tech heavy hitters have banded together to combat the Hollings-Disney initiative  - thta's the bill that would require all computers to include DRM technology that prevents copying, even if the copying would otherwise be within the scope of fair use.

If this is important to you, visit http://www.digitalconsumer.org/. The website will send a fax to your elected representative stating your opposition to the proposal.

Walter Mossberg of the WSJ (hardly a bastion of radical thought) has a rather compelling column on the topic in todays edition. You can find it at http://ptech.wsj.com

HTH

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
RE:DigitalConsumer.Org
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2002, 09:24:10 am »

1. Users have the right to "time-shift" content that they have legally acquired.
This gives you the right to record video or audio for later viewing or listening. For example, you can use a VCR to record a TV show and play it back later.

2. Users have the right to "space-shift" content that they have legally acquired.
This gives you the right to use your content in different places (as long as each use is personal and non-commercial). For example, you can copy a CD to a portable music player so that you can listen to the songs while you're jogging.

3. Users have the right to make backup copies of their content.
This gives you the right to make archival copies to be used in the event that your original copies are destroyed.

4. Users have the right to use legally acquired content on the platform of their choice.
This gives you the right to listen to music on your Rio, to watch TV on your iMac, and to view DVDs on your Linux computer.

5. Users have the right to translate legally acquired content into comparable formats.
This gives you the right to modify content in order to make it more usable. For example, a blind person can modify an electronic book so that the content can be read out loud.

6. Users have the right to use technology in order to achieve the rights previously mentioned.
This last right guarantees your ability to exercise your other rights. Certain recent copyright laws have paradoxical loopholes that claim to grant certain rights but then criminalize all technologies that could allow you to exercise those rights. In contrast, this Bill of Rights states that no technological barriers can deprive you of your other fair use rights.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Harry The Hipster

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2002, 09:54:18 am »

King:

Yeah, that comes from their Bill of Rights. Pretty moderate and sensible stuff. Nothing about being free to disseminate it to friends and family.

Take a look at Mossberg's column, if you haven't already. Very well reasoned and stated.

I awakened the other day to the fact that the industry is already changing the rules of the game. I subscribe to Rhapsody @listen.com. Nice catalogue of vintage Blue Note jazz. All I can do is stream it, and for that I pay $10 per month.

I do have the ability to create and shuffle playlists, save them etc. - I just can't rip streams or download files, unless I want to cross the line.

That basically is the industry's future vision - a limited license with files accessible only so long as I keep paying my license fee. The functional equivalent of downloading a DRM-protected file that plays only on my own computer (except for one thing, discussed next). Without even thinking about it, I've become an enabler, despite my strong feelings on the topic.

There is one big difference. I can log onto Rhapsody from a remote computer so long as my home access is shut down. So, how would I feel if technology enabled me to do the same thing through a variety of devices that were Internet-enabled (stereo receivers, car radios, handhelds, etc.), so long as my account would only support one user at a time? How different is that from 'owning' a file that permitted only a limited number of clones (discussed in a remote thread)? If the library was large enough, isn't it pretty close?

Yes, except for one thing. We're not there yet. I stop paying, I stop playing. Not the case if I can download the file. Could get closer if they offered me a tiered service, with limited on-going access to a maximum number of streams once I stopped the monthly subscription.

I haven't sorted all of this out yet, beyond feeling a little chagrin about buying into a something I usually rant about. Maybe it goes to show we can all be co-opted into the New World Order if they can find the right bait. Or maybe it goes to show how short-sighted they are in not creating viable alternatives.

To Be Continued....would like to hear thoughts from others.

HTH

zevele1

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2002, 11:30:27 am »

Blue Note !First at $10 a month ,in one year it is money to buy many Blue Notes records
Why not $10 a month for streaming if you have a VERY HUDGE  catalogue to choose from.
And the day you stop,you cannot stream anymore,as you do not get channels if you stop to pay for cable or satellite tv.I know ,streaming and tv are not the same ,cause you can tapes films.If you want to download all "the streams" you can listen to,they will ask for how much  a month? $50 for protected mp3?You broadland connection,$50 to "steam/rip',another service.At the end you will spend much more every month than you spent for music before computer age
There is places where you can buy songs by one.Many times i see that the full cd on mp3 cost twice the price than the same cd in shops!And they just want it,that you spend money.More and more while getting less and less
Not sure if you cross the road if you ripe your steams.you just  use programs that are legals,that pay taxes and so on.
There is 2 big problems in the game

-All of it happens in a country where corporates make the laws
-_And in a country who really,until today, believe that the World stops at his both coasts

Go to  www.listen.com .For $25 a month you can download ALL the mp3 or wma you want.'Free",you can transfert,convert,burn.This site is 100% legal.They just have an agrement with the spanish raia[?]In august i downloaded 10.000 songs
So there is a way to find a solution good for all

listening to Wayne Shorter - speak no evil

zevele1

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2002, 11:30:35 am »

Blue Note !First at $10 a month ,in one year it is money to buy many Blue Notes records
Why not $10 a month for streaming if you have a VERY HUDGE  catalogue to choose from.
And the day you stop,you cannot stream anymore,as you do not get channels if you stop to pay for cable or satellite tv.I know ,streaming and tv are not the same ,cause you can tapes films.If you want to download all "the streams" you can listen to,they will ask for how much  a month? $50 for protected mp3?You broadland connection,$50 to "steam/rip',another service.At the end you will spend much more every month than you spent for music before computer age
There is places where you can buy songs by one.Many times i see that the full cd on mp3 cost twice the price than the same cd in shops!And they just want it,that you spend money.More and more while getting less and less
Not sure if you cross the road if you ripe your steams.you just  use programs that are legals,that pay taxes and so on.

-_And in a country who really,until today, believe that the World stops at his both coasts

Go to  www.listen.com .For $25 a month you can download ALL the mp3 or wma you want.'Free",you can transfert,convert,burn.This site is 100% legal.They just have an agrement with the spanish raia[?]In august i downloaded 10.000 songs

zevele1

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2002, 11:30:54 am »

zevele1

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2002, 11:31:09 am »

zevele1

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2002, 11:31:24 am »

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2002, 11:37:30 am »

I'm not sure I caught that...

sekim

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2002, 12:46:53 pm »

One more time

zevele1

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2002, 01:12:12 pm »

Really?

MHorton

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2002, 01:13:54 pm »

He had said that today was going to be a rough day for him . . . maybe he fell asleep with his forehead on the enter button.

sub-24

• World Citizen
  • It Happens
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2002, 01:26:49 pm »

If you can hear it

You can record it.

Nuff said

zevele1

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2002, 01:34:43 pm »

To hear it you have to be able to play it
They want to do-and there is  some today - cds who DO NOT play in a cdr from computer
Many people have only computer,no stereo.
If you cannot play,you cannot hear,so you cannot record
Nuff says 1|PLS|1=2

sekim

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2002, 01:37:04 pm »

I don't think so. The ideas they are proposing are to screw you in any way they can. I just read the article HTH. Convinced me. Should be getting the fax soon. Existing rights should NOT be re-arranged to their liking. Most politicians are greased enough as it is.

sub-24

• World Citizen
  • It Happens
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2002, 01:40:07 pm »

Who knows of any copyright protection that hasent been hacked, broken or fudged within about 3 hours of its release.

People will always find a way to copy anything.

Who knows if the Mona Lisa is actually the real one anyway.

zevele1

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2002, 01:48:14 pm »

I said it many times on this forum.You have a big problem:corporates are making the laws of your everyday life
Sometimes hard to know how to call you USA?super market?

sekim

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2002, 01:51:07 pm »

mikeh

I think you are kind of missing the point. They are trying to do an end-around of YOUR rights.

sub-24

• World Citizen
  • It Happens
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2002, 02:00:50 pm »

99.999999999999999% of the music thats around today is not protected in any way.

Thats never going to change. It will always be available somewhere in mp3 or whatever.

The record companys see this as a potential threat to their business so they must add protection.

The %age of people using PC digital music replay is still probably very small compared to the masses.

So if they come out with a full proof copyright protection system that no-one can copy then i'm going to have to assume that no one can hear it. Cause if you can hear it you can record it.

Stick a microphone to the speaker - bit crude but ive heard worse recordings on $15 Cd's

I think you are getting paranoid over something that's not actually going to be a problem.

zevele1

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2002, 02:17:58 pm »

That you will allways find a way to rip music is not a problem
That  corporates are trying to reduce your rights is a problem
If you think it is not a problem.To think like this  is the BIGGER problem of all.

sub-24

• World Citizen
  • It Happens
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2002, 02:21:54 pm »

As i said - paranoid

Big Corporates have been ruling our lives since we were born.

Why worry about it.

Severian

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2002, 02:29:34 pm »

...have been ruling our lives since we were born.

Give me a break. Someone who was born a slave in the mid 1800's could have said that exact same line.

zevele1

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2002, 02:31:27 pm »

I am not paranoid.And the biggest luck of my life ,i am not american,so.....
let's corporates rule,let's anything.Sure that with people as so many are in front of them,they are really rigth to do what they do
I hoppe they will put a clause that riping a protected cd with a microphone to the speaker is subject to death sentence

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2002, 02:35:19 pm »

>> Someone who was born a slave in the mid 1800's could have said that exact same line.
Slavery has been around since Adam Met Eve.

Keep Your Club Out Side
Go Get Some Wood For The Fire
Go Kill Something For Dinner
Get Me That Apple
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

sekim

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2002, 04:47:10 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up