INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Under "Recent" old albums with the same (new) album name are shown.  (Read 1641 times)

Wybe

• World Citizen

I'm using the latest JRiver MC version for Mac together with JRemote on the iPad as control point. When I add (import) to the library for example the album Retrospective of the Esbjorn Svensson Trio, this album is shown under Recent (JRemote), but together with the album Retrospective of Natalie Merchant, which I already added some weeks ago. So, it shows the album Retrospective with all numbers from both artists. Is this a bug or something I can configure?

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Under "Recent" old albums with the same (new) album name are shown.
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 03:22:27 pm »

This is a basic limitation of a simple album view scheme.  It is very useful for most cases, but in some cases, such as Greatest Hits, Retrospective, etc., where several albums have the same title, there needs to be something to disambiguation.

So you'll probably want to customize the view so that you can also show an Artist.

In the JRemove view (which  uses WebGizmo view configurations), you might want to view in one of two ways: Album and then drill down into Artist (the limitation here being that you always have to drill down into Artist), or you could present your album names such that they include the Artist name too (the downside is that album - artist might be fairly long).

How would you like to see these?
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Wybe

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 04:33:45 pm »

The first option for me is the better one. But I don't understand why it is not possible to "save" in the background not only the album name, but also the date the album/artist combination was added. That's how the mechanism works in the first place, doesn't it? It is not possible under Recent to show the albums in chronological order even when albums have the same name, but different artist (and added at different times)?

MrC

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 04:39:38 pm »

All this information either is, or can be, made available.  Its just that the Recent view doesn't use it.  So you'll configure the view to use the information.

A Categories view groups alike things.  In this case, the view is based on the Album name, and nothing else.  You could include a date imported to make unique categories.

Right click the Recent view, Customize View, and click the Add button.  Now select, Album Artist (auto) from the field list, and OK your way out.

Wybe

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 05:51:32 am »

Thanks for the info. On the server side I added an extra item Recent Albums, because the original one I cannot change because of a Locked View. This new item I modified the way you described. Just to be sure I restarted the server. However, on JRemote nothing has changed.

MrC

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 12:43:34 pm »

You are able to change locked views, but MC will suggest otherwise and provide you with the opportunity to make a copy instead.  This is mostly to save you from yourself.

The view changes you make in Standard View do not affect WebGizmo views, which are defined under Tools > Options > Media Network > Advanced > Cusomize views for Gizmo & WebGizmo.  After making changes there, you sometimes need to restart MC and its Media Server.

Wybe

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 03:23:39 pm »

Perfect, that did the job! Thanks. I will do some further experiments with tagging, for example add "Date imported".
Pages: [1]   Go Up