INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shotgun2  (Read 1859 times)

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Farm Animal Stupid
Shotgun2
« on: March 14, 2002, 06:53:48 am »

Shotgun2> Have you considered taking your system somewhere to have it looked at? It just seems weird to me that you're only person experiencing so many problems and all of them seem to result in a lockup or crash.

How's the stability of the rest of your system? Do you experience problems with other programs (not necessarily media related) at all?

We all know that Windows is not the most stable of OS's (although it's getting better all the time). I notice from your system specs that your System resources are down to 64%. That's not too bad, but Windows does have a tendency to become rather erratic as resources get low. Do you have a lot of tasks running in your system tray?

Can you post more detailed specs about your hardware? Like your sound card/video card, etc?

Here comes the dreaded question : When's the last time your machine was formatted and re-set up? I used to do that to mine ever 6 months, and while I don't think it should be done that often, I would recommend it at least once a year.

Just trying to help...

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
RE:Shotgun2
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2002, 08:14:08 am »

diddo
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Shotgun2

• World Citizen
  • Health problems prevent almost all activity.Manufacturing Engineer, Ret.Living
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2002, 10:23:32 am »

Well gentlemen, thank you for your responses. I very much take them with a positive attitude.

<>

I do not agree with you. Just read the complaints. There's lots of users having this problem, many are just being realized. System cannot be all that bad, seems to me, and be able to use, without any problems - this means that they work great - without a flaw or blurp; programs such as MusicMatch (6.1), Windows Media Player (7.1 I think) and several other lesser players I have.

<>

Nope - none

<>

Most generally any more lately, the only other thing else that's running is Norton Anti Virus. I used to be able to run other stuff at same time as MJ but no longer. Now then, it is still possible to run otheer media programs like the ones listed above and other programs. As an example, I can scan & save while listening to my music; I can do word processing (WP 8) and listen to my music at same time with other players as mentioned. I can give you more if needed, just believe me.

<>

Sure! This has been done in the recent past but I'll try from memory to do it again.

Sound Card: Integral with mother board. Yamaha DS-XG. Latest driver in use per Yamaha and Windows.

Video Card: SIS something with 8 MB of memory built in.

#1 CD Burner: HP Series 8200 (My drive F) - IDE
#2 CD Burner: Ricoh - don't remember - it's not IDE - it's run through a card that will accept more drives.

<>

Not really a dreaded question Doof, cause it's been recently - seems like in the last month or so - Re installed Windows from original disk. I remember JimH asking me if I had all the latest upgrades. I did not have so I downloaded ALL of them from Microsoft updates. Quite a number of them since my Windows disk is gettin' on in age. Even upgraded from IE 5.5 to 6.

You guys have been as much or more help to me than anyone else on this forum, and there are lots of fine people here honestly trying to help others get things goin. Want you to know that I appreciate you for your your honest opinions, knowledge, and cutting through a lot of hype getting through a problem.

Later

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2002, 10:36:21 am »

Shotgun2

I really don't have anything to say, i think most problems that are known are being addressed, and i don't think most people have problems your having.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2002, 11:22:38 am »

#2 CD Burner: Ricoh - don't remember - it's not IDE - it's run through a card that will accept more drives.

That would be SCSI.

I have to admit that I haven't been following your plight too closely so if I ask some of the same questions, I apologize. Next Page

You had mentioned something about buffering. Is this while playing CD's or MP3's If it's CD's, does it matter which drive you play them in?

Have you tried running a RAM testing application?

sdcoochie

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2002, 12:00:30 pm »

I must get in on the side of Shotgun2 I too am having similar problems. Buffering, crashing, the last build lets me shut down MJ with the exit button this time . Before it would crash after a couple of songs. It does still buffer all the time. I too am running Norton AV this may be a problem, I'm running WinME and I have a SBlaster Live using the KX Drivers I recently (today)downloaded here http://www.kxdev.com/index. The sound is much better with these drivers but it doesn't fix the problems with MJ (which I hoped it might). If it is a matter of re-installing everything again I may do that. I do however, have no problems with any other media software (WInamp, Media Jukebox, CDValet, EAC, CDex). I don't think suggesting that it is just Shotgun2 having problems because many of the threads have suggested others are having these problems.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2002, 12:04:37 pm »

At the time that I started this thread, the current bug thread was populated only by reports by Shotgun2. And I unfortunately don't have the time to read every post in every thread on Interact. I have a day job and an occasional social life outside of the internet.

Shotgun2

• World Citizen
  • Health problems prevent almost all activity.Manufacturing Engineer, Ret.Living
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2002, 01:18:58 pm »

Doof - Yes, that's it - Scuzzi. Seems to be the best drive I have, it's also the slowest. Max 2X on burn.

<>

It is definately both CD's and MP3's, some ogg that I have, some wma I have, some ape that I have. Format doesn't matter, drive really doesn't matter - they are all guilty at different times as MJ is playing. I'm gonna mention again. Other players I have work just fine with the formats they are capable of handling.

<>

I'm ignorant of this. Only one I know of that may be what you're asking is the ram test done at the boot-up of windows. There's a short version and a long version. Been using the short version but will switch to long version and see what happens. I'll let you know.

<>

Doof, oh dear Doof - no one is questioning (certainly not me) what you do and don't do on Interact. As far as I'm concerned you are one of the backbones, along with King Sparta and a few others. I'll soon be 75 in May and have been following most of your posts because they quite often provide the best medicine and humor, and cutting to the quick so to speak on problem solving.

I don't really think that anyone is taking sides here; just trying to point out problems and get something done about them. Sometimes seems like everyone afraid of JimH and the authority he possesses. Well, I believe he is a human being that puts on his pants in a very similar way I do. It takes someone like JimH to keep this mass of people controlled. But he certainly is not a god, even though some may think he is. If JRiver elects to do nothing about my problems (and others also), or if the job is too big for them to handle, I can understand that and go elsewhere with programs that currently provide me with my needs, without a hassle cause music is good for your soul; having problems playing it are certainly not good - especially someone with as many miles on me as there is and my health condition.

Later

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2002, 07:27:23 pm »

Shotgun2> Eh, it's no big deal. I've just been a little cranky this week. But thanks for all you've said. It's gone a long way towards lightening my mood. Next Page

Back to business...

The RAM test that happens when you first turn the computer on isn't nearly thorough enough. The type or RAM tester I'm referring to will write data to each individual block of RAM and try to read it back. The ones I've seen will do this several times in order to test the integrity of your RAM. CheckIt is such an application. Unfortunately, it's not free. I'm not sure what else is out there, or what's good. Maybe somebody else in here has had experience with a few that can comment?

SCSI - while your SCSI CD-Writer may be slower than the IDE one, the data transfer rate of SCSI is higher than IDE. So SCSI devices are typcially faster than their IDE counterparts. Basically the data going to and coming from the device moves faster on SCSI. Now, the device itself may be slower, like in the case of your two CD-RW drives, but that's mainly age difference, I would imagine.

I'm afraid not much of that helps with your MJ problem, though. I'm really stumped there. First of all, I'm not experiencing the same problem (apparently neither are the JRiver guys). And secondly, there's nothing about your symptoms or system that really obviously point to any culprit. Can you think of any specific thing that you do, or your system does before this happens? Not immediately before, but at any time? Or during? Or is it specific songs? Are there specific songs that this DOESN'T happen with? Anything we can do to narrow it down will help the guys fix it.

It's just like the problems I was having when MJ would crash when switching to mini-me. After narrowing it down further and further, I finally discovered it was because MJ didn't like the "˙" character in Queensr˙che. That's something they may have never found unless they, too, had an artist with a special character like that in its name in their library. So anything we can do narrow the problem down is a big step to getting it fixed.

Shotgun2

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2002, 11:11:30 am »

sdcooche - Thank you for your response. Came at a time my spirits very low and helped pump me up some.

Shotgun2

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2002, 11:30:32 am »

Hi Doof - Had sent you a message prior to this one, but I have not idea what happeded to it. I'll try to duplicate it.

Not asking for sympathy or anything; just wanted you to know that I will be doing less and less testing and reporting or whatever. I'm kinda selfish; I just want to be able to enjoy my music without any problems; whether it be MJ, Windows Media Player, Music Jukebox, or whatever. I'm not in bed with any particular company.

So, hang in there guy! I can tell just from your posts that you are a fine young man with good moral character. Best of everyting to you and yours. Oh, by the way, you and your gf planning anything permanent yet?

See ya

Ilmar

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2002, 11:42:30 am »

Hi

If you are using WIndows 98, it may be a DirectX problem.

Different versions of DirectX do require compatible Video and Audio drivers. Sometimes I believe even chipset (motherboard) drivers can be affected. Any incompatibility there could show up when your system is most under stress.

If you go into Program Files> Accessories> System Tools> System Information you should be able to find out what version of DirectX you are using.

Ilmar

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2002, 12:03:13 pm »

Well, thanks. Next Page

No, nothing permanent. She's graduating from college this spring and then it's anybody's guess where here path will take her, so until decision is made, we haven't made any plans about us. We are going to Cozumel in June, though, so that should be fun. Hopefully I'll have my new underwater camera by then and I can try again at the whole underwater photography thing. I'm in the process of building a website so my friends can see some of the pictures I've taken, but so far I haven't been too happy with any of the scans that I've put on it. You can check it out if you want, the address is in my profile. But the pictures will be replaced once I get some quality scans of them, plus there are a bunch more that I have to go through.

But this post wasn't supposed to be about my website. It was about the problem you're having. Apparently another user that's having the buffering problem is using the same sound card you are, so maybe that's the key?
Pages: [1]   Go Up