INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: multi zone playback problems  (Read 1239 times)

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Getting older every day
multi zone playback problems
« on: September 13, 2013, 12:04:32 pm »

I have several zones setup in the house, and most work fine, but the newest zone (Master Bedroom) isn't behaving right.

I have MC set to use the Center and Subwoofer output for this zone, but MC is actually playing back the music thru the Surround Left and Surround Right channels.

I can test the speakers with the Realtek HD Audio dialog, and also with the Windows speaker test, and both of them will play sound in the master bedroom when clicking on the center and subwoofer channels, so I can confirm it's connected correctly, but when I play something to that zone in MC, it goes to the (Back Bedroom) zone, and plays simultaneously with the audio already playing in that zone.  If I turn off audio to the (Back Bedroom) zone, it makes no difference.  Any audio sent to Center/Subwoofer gets routed to Surround Left/Right.

I've tried turning on/off Mute in the Parametric Equalizer section, and having Mute on kills all sound.  Both the (Front Bedroom) and (Back Bedroom) zones play just fine with Mute not checked, both simultaneously and separately.

I've also tried turning off JRSS Mixing, on one/several/all zones, and it makes no difference.

I'm out of ideas to try, so I'm hoping this is just a bug and can be fixed, or maybe I'm just doing it wrong, but I'd really like to get all zones working properly.

thanks
pretend this is something funny

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
Re: multi zone playback problems
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 12:30:23 pm »

I don't really know why I tried this, but I moved the Surround Left/Right to the very bottom of the list of speakers for the (Master Bedroom) zone, and it suddenly started working correctly, and now the Center/Surround it playing thru the correct speakers, and all 5 zones in the house are now playing separate playlists simultaneously :)

I think this might be some kind of bug, as having the correct speakers at the top of the list should be enough, but at least I finally got it working the way I want.

Also JRSS Mixing seems to have no effect, since I turned it back on for all zones, and everything still works.  It might be affecting sound, I'm not sure, but it doesn't break anything as far as I can tell.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 12:33:13 pm »

I have several zones setup in the house, and most work fine, but the newest zone (Master Bedroom) isn't behaving right.

I have MC set to use the Center and Subwoofer output for this zone, but MC is actually playing back the music thru the Surround Left and Surround Right channels.

I can test the speakers with the Realtek HD Audio dialog, and also with the Windows speaker test, and both of them will play sound in the master bedroom when clicking on the center and subwoofer channels, so I can confirm it's connected correctly, but when I play something to that zone in MC, it goes to the (Back Bedroom) zone, and plays simultaneously with the audio already playing in that zone.  If I turn off audio to the (Back Bedroom) zone, it makes no difference.  Any audio sent to Center/Subwoofer gets routed to Surround Left/Right.

I've tried turning on/off Mute in the Parametric Equalizer section, and having Mute on kills all sound.  Both the (Front Bedroom) and (Back Bedroom) zones play just fine with Mute not checked, both simultaneously and separately.

I've also tried turning off JRSS Mixing, on one/several/all zones, and it makes no difference.

I'm out of ideas to try, so I'm hoping this is just a bug and can be fixed, or maybe I'm just doing it wrong, but I'd really like to get all zones working properly.

thanks

It sounds like a channel offset issue.  What channel offset do you have set in the various zones?  What does the audio path look like when this is going on?

EDIT: Just saw your second post; glad you solved it, but that makes it sound even more like a channel offset or output format issue.  You didn't have one of the zones set to use more than two channels did you (2.1, etc.)?

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 01:44:46 pm »

I have all pertinent zones set to use 2 channels (inside a 7.1 container), and had the channels I wanted to use as the first on the list of each zone.  I may take some screenshots later and post them with more detail, to help describe the problem, and hopefully help others in the future.

It seems that muting channels isn't necessary, or even desired, but it seems it is possible also, depending on the order of the channels.

Audio path shows volume down for RG128, volume up for normalizing, volume up for adaptive, channel ordering, but nothing specific shows for ordering.

I'm doing some house remodeling today, so more details and screenies will have to wait until later.

BTW, having sound in each room now is awfully fantastic!
Pages: [1]   Go Up