INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question on File Rename / Move Feature  (Read 3190 times)

davisford

• World Citizen
Question on File Rename / Move Feature
« on: September 15, 2013, 05:15:25 pm »

I have a bunch of .m2ts HD video files littered around folders.  I love the file rename / move / copy feature and the ability to write rules based on file metadata (e.g. EXIF info, ID3 tag info).  I use it a lot.

But my video camera hardware manufacturer also writes a bunch of additional metadata files.  They contain the same name as the video file with a different extension (on windows).  I'd like to write a rule that moves these video files to a new location and also moves over the same metadata files.  Is this possible?

The daunting task of manually moving all these files keeps me up at night.

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Question on File Rename / Move Feature
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 06:09:10 pm »

You need to import these files to your library, and use (or create) a view which displays both the video, and the metadata sidecar files.
Media Center should have no problem moving the files around after that.

davisford

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 09:12:51 pm »

Thanks, that sounds like it makes sense, but I'm not exactly sure how to do it. I cloned the top level Video View => "Video Copy", and right-click => Customize View

Under Included Files, I clicked Set rules for file display, it had the rule:

* Media Type is Video

So I added a couple new rules

* Filename ends with .moff
* Filename ends with .modd

But if I Apply that, it seems to be a logical AND, and it shows no files.  If I remove the rules, the video *.mt2s files are there.  What am I doing wrong?

davisford

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 09:47:28 pm »

I ended up editing FileAssociations.xml and I was able to import them, but they end up under the Documents view.  Is there any way to merge this with the Video view so I can see these files as one unified view?

I did add them to the <Video> and <MimeTypes><Video> tags, but I set the mime type to "text/plain" b/c I don't want MC to try to accidentally open them.

Now, I've got a conundrum b/c I want to rename and move the .m2ts video files using the Date metadata which is embedded in the file.  If these metadata .moff and .modd files are under the Documents view, the Date ends up being the file creation date, whereas the date embedded in the video files is the actual date the video was shot.  There is no good way to keep these files together I suppose -- unless I can somehow merge these two views to show them all, and group them by filename, and then rename them in chunks.

So, long story short -- is there a way to create a merged view that shows video files and document files?

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 10:04:27 pm »

That was kind of the original suggestion: To make a view that includes video and (associated) documents. You can then sort them by [filename (path)], and then apply File Rename/Copy/Move to the video and documents in one go.
Come to think of it, i really need to do this too, for the same reasons.

davisford

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 10:40:42 pm »

I couldn't figure out how to create a view that included them both.  I tried created a new View Scheme from the root, and then build a new library view from scratch, tried adding rules to just include files by extension, but they wouldn't show up.  I'm not sure how it is done, but I just gave up.  I did some reading on these metadata files -- they are only used by the Sony software, and it appears they can be re-generated if they are imported back into the Sony PlayMemories Home stuff -- it includes stuff like visual face recognition and calendar metadata.  I'm just going to shelf the metadata stuff and archive it somewhere in case I need it some day, but I'm not going to worry about move / rename the actual video files.  I just went ahead and moved them.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2013, 10:52:02 pm »

Try making a smart playlist with the following rules:

[media type] = Video
OR
[media type] = Document

I think you can get the OR by adding a Custom field, and typing OR in the box.

javidan

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 12:38:24 am »

So, long story short -- is there a way to create a merged view that shows video files and document files?

or better yet, allow us to define sidecar files right?

JRiver is already inherently capable of helping to rename/move files such as subtitles. I remember Matt helped to add .ass files later when it started with .srt files.

I was already wondering and hoping whether we could define it ourselves at that stage.
Pages: [1]   Go Up