INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Search criteria - artists or albums with less than 3 songs  (Read 1090 times)

lise

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Search criteria - artists or albums with less than 3 songs
« on: March 13, 2002, 02:03:58 pm »

Is there a way to tell MJ to find only those artists or albums that have more than n songs?
I have a playlist for "Artists with less than 3 songs" and I exclude them from my list of Artists by using a search critieria on that playlist.  But that involves having to assign all my tunes to that playlist.  Is there some search criteria that will do it for me?
A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?

Callithumpian

• Galactic Citizen
  • Subvert the Dominant Paradigm
RE:Search criteria - artists or albums with less than 3 songs
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2002, 01:17:37 am »

This, and many other similar database analyses, were so easy with the statistical functionality of V7.
This remains the only area that has not leapt ahead in V8.

Seems strange to allow an element, for which many users have expressed enthusiasm, to lapse so badly.
But lapse it has.  MJ8 statistics are still well short of the premium usefulness that they achieved in V7.

Now that you've said "Boo", Lise, hope springs for redress of this long neglected, one-time feature.

JollyJim

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2002, 01:43:18 am »

Lise

Hi from one Peterborough to another. I bet your one is prettier than my one.

Re searches, smart lists etc - maybe in your capacity of 'help author' it may be worth starting a thread purely to get samples of smart-lists etc. Personally, I have'nt got a clue how they work and don't intend trying until the release is finalised and there's some useful help. I've written in the main thread of my concerns on the difficulty of writing a clear precise and easy to understand help for v8 - you have my best wishes !!!

Good luck - Jim

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2002, 04:31:42 am »

Callithumpian> I don't ever remember being able to do what Lise asks in 7.2. Even having a statistics page showing you the artists with less than 3 songs isn't going to automatically add them to a playlist. Unless I was missing some really cool feature of MJ 7.2.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2002, 04:33:28 am »

Please tell us what you'd like to see in the statistics system.

If it doesn't take long to add, we can do it for version 8.

Thanks.

-Matt

(and sorry, no way to search based on # of songs in an album... it'd make searches too slow, because we don't keep those counts sitting around, so we'd have to calculate them every search)
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

scub

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2002, 04:46:29 am »

The ability to sort by number of files and an Artist view. I keep a folder, various artists, which I put artists that only have a few songs. If they have lots of songs I create a seperate folder for that artist. I could quickly search for this with an Artist only view, no album.
Also allowing us to resize the box would make it a lot easier to get a overview on larger databases.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2002, 06:33:14 am »

Here's what I'd like to see. And I think this may help Lise to some extent as well.

1. Be able to sort the views in Statistics by something other than name.
2. Be able to carry out actions on items in the Stats view (Like access the Send To menu).
3. Be able to do #2 on multiple items at once.
4. Be able to create new Stats view (to allow me to see how many songs in a particular genre, or how many of a certain bitrate etc.)

Xstatic

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2002, 06:55:52 am »

I dont know if this is possible, don't _think_ so, but here it comes:

I log in the "notes" field musicians info and stuff. I'd like to be able to make a search for for instance Steve Gadd.

Could this - or can this - be done?

Callithumpian

• Galactic Citizen
  • Subvert the Dominant Paradigm
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2002, 04:34:25 pm »

To get back to as-good-as-V7 (which is surely entry level for V8) ....

1) Add a few more display styles - "artist", "genre", "albumartist" for instance.
2) Make the columns click-sort, you know, ascending, descending

Then you could at least choose the artist display style and sort by the "files" column in order to isolate the artists with 3 or less tracks.  Many other simple database queries could be performed like this.
Without wanting to harp on about, it doesn't really do much at the moment, whereas its potential is great.
Pages: [1]   Go Up