INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Overriding Zone Switch?  (Read 1799 times)

• Citizen of the Universe
Overriding Zone Switch?
« on: September 16, 2013, 07:14:51 am »

Is there any way to override Zone Switch without disabling it?

I'm currently using separate Audio and Video zones, both of which send audio to my DAC via USB.
I'd like to have a third zone which sends audio via HDMI to my television. It's rare that I use my TV speakers, but sometimes useful.

Would it be possible to have Send To override Zone Switch? Any time I try to send audio or video to the HDMI zone, it gets routed to Audio or Video.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
Re: Overriding Zone Switch?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 09:23:50 am »

It would be nice if the override was just a toggle on the zone. For example, right click the zone and click Lock Zone. This would then send all content to that zone.

I guess right clicking, selecting ZoneSwitch, and turning it off is just one more click but locking the zone seems easier.  ;)

I would also request that JRiver's audio calibration tools override ZoneSwitch and go to the currently selected zone. I've started calibration a couple of times and then realized it was going through my Music zone instead of the Blu-ray zone.  :-[

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 10:04:55 am »

I would have thought that explicitly sending media to a zone via the Send To menu would have been enough to indicate that you want it playing to that specific zone, rather than having to lock a zone or disable zone switch temporarily.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 10:06:26 am »

Is there any way to override Zone Switch without disabling it?

I'm currently using separate Audio and Video zones, both of which send audio to my DAC via USB.
I'd like to have a third zone which sends audio via HDMI to my television. It's rare that I use my TV speakers, but sometimes useful.

Would it be possible to have Send To override Zone Switch? Any time I try to send audio or video to the HDMI zone, it gets routed to Audio or Video.

There's a way to do exactly that.  As I recall, the secret was to have the third zone not mentioned in any of the zoneswitch rules (i.e. do not "stop playback" to that zone when starting playback in the other zones, etc.).  I struggled with exactly what you're describing because I had audio, video, and headphone zones, and I couldn't send anything to the headphone zone without turning off zoneswitch. But after removing all references to the headphone zone from the zoneswitch rules, I can now send things to it without disabling zoneswitch.

I'm not at home right now so I'm describing this as best I can from memory, but there's definitely a way to get "send" to ignore zoneswitch for a specific zone.

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 10:13:08 am »

That does work to let you send media to another zone, without activating Zone Switch.
The problem is that if it's the active zone (which it will be after doing this) then any media will play there by default without switching back to Audio/Video.

I only want media playing to the HDMI zone when I specifically send it there via the Send To menu.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 10:28:22 am »

That does work to let you send media to another zone, without activating Zone Switch.
The problem is that if it's the active zone (which it will be after doing this) then any media will play there by default without switching back to Audio/Video.

I only want media playing to the HDMI zone when I specifically send it there via the Send To menu.

You're right, it does require the extra click of switching back to one of the "switched" zones, so it isn't a perfect fix.  But it's better than having to turn off zoneswitch.  

I agree with you that "send to" should be honored regardless, it's a really counter-intuitive aspect of zoneswitch, and it would be nice to be able to stop playback in disconnected zones without effectively preventing anything from being sent to them.

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 01:23:21 pm »

I have to say that Zones are currently implemented solely for the "Kitchen", "Bathroom", "Living Room" Zones idea, and not for the "Audio", "Video", "Headphones" idea.

For the latter idea, there needs to be the following option in Options -

"Do not allow multiple instances of Playing Now"

which would then make moot (irrelevant) all the "stop other zones" rules.
Pages: [1]   Go Up