INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SSL Alpha-Link MX 4:16 Xtreme 64 kit  (Read 3369 times)

tobcar

SSL Alpha-Link MX 4:16 Xtreme 64 kit
« on: November 04, 2013, 09:15:54 am »

SSL offers a 16-Channel DA / 4-Channel AD complete with PCIe Madi interface for EUR1499.

This combo look to be capable of 24bit / 192Khz output for 16 Channels. I am considering this card for a 5-channel HT installation without crossover filters, configured like this:
5 x Tweeters
5 x 6.5" MIdranges
2 x Midbass arrays fron left/right, each array containg 4 x 9" drivers
1 x 18" Sub

So 13 channels each driven by a separate amplifier channel, with the possibility of adding subs, and/or extra rear channels for 7.1 operation using the 3 spare channels.

Possibly also using the 4 AD channels for room correction.

Does anybody have any experience of the SSL 4-16? Any advice or thoughts on if this will work or not?

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
Re: SSL Alpha-Link MX 4:16 Xtreme 64 kit
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 09:54:58 am »

Welcome to Interact.

I haven't seen anyone here use anything from Solid State Logic, but as I mentioned at AVS (I go by desertdome there), it looks like it would work fine. This looks like one of the best choices to get low latency multi-channel output.

I read through the manuals yesterday and I couldn't determine if the sample rate will switch automatically based on source. It has a setting to manually change the sample rate on the MadiXtreme when it is used as the master clock. You may need to set JRiver to resample to your sample rate of choice in the MadiXtreme so you don't have to manually change it all the time. However, it may be that it changes sample rates automatically.

Another thing to consider is that the Alpha-Link MX link is fully balanced and the analogue output levels can be set from +14 dBu to +24 dBu. This 3.88 to 12.28 volts. The Rotel 1565 amps you bought have an input sensitivity of 1.2 volts. You should probably set the output level at +14 dBu so you don't clip the input stage of the Rotel since the Rotel is designed to work with consumer levels of -10 dBV.

tobcar

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 03:32:22 pm »

OK, I got the card and MX 4:16 this week and built a htpc
using  Intel Core i7 4770K 3.5 GHz (Haswell)   
Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) CL11 2400MHz VENGEANCE PRO RED   
ASUS Z87-PRO ATX   
Silverstone Grandia GD08B, Svart
Samsung SSD EVO Basic 840-Series 500GB
Corsair RM 450W 80+ Gold Modulär   
Logitech TK820 All-in-One Keyboard      
Noctua NH-C14
and plugged in the MadiXtreme 64

The HTPC will not have storage, I'm using a NAS in another room instead.  

The HTPC seems effortlessly fast and quiet and will certainly make less noise the the amp fans.
(I plan to build a vented inwall cabinet to host the electronics, routing ventilation air through damped snaking channels)

I then proceeded to install Win 8.1, only to find out that SSL's drivers don't work in 8.1 yet... if I have the time next weekend and I may install win 7 and try again
but I am just getting started on the physical build, so maybe I should finish that and see if SSL releases new drivers soon.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 04:03:28 pm »

I would think you could install the drivers in compatibility mode.

I have requested a demo from Solid State Logic and will be getting an Alpha-Link MX 4-16 and MadiXtreme to test in a few weeks. If it works well, a new one will be purchased and paired with the same Silverstone Grandia case for a friend's home theater needing 15 channels.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 05:00:15 pm »

The demo shipped out to me yesterday. I should have it by the middle of next week.
Pages: [1]   Go Up