INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does V19 still support/write Replay Gain Tags?  (Read 1794 times)

Vocalpoint

• Citizen of the Universe
Does V19 still support/write Replay Gain Tags?
« on: September 23, 2013, 06:58:39 am »

I am getting ready to install a build of v19 soon - but can't risk any damage to my library (the rest of household will be on v18 for some time yet) if v19 does something to existing RG tags. Also - I still need to use RG to support the iPods around here.

So..

1. Does v19 do anything to existing RG tags in files analyzed via v18?
2. Can v19 calculate and write RG tags just as previous versions did?
3. Can I install v19 along side v 18 and continue to use my existing RG data as if the R128 goodies do not exist?

VP

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Does V19 still support/write Replay Gain Tags?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 10:19:57 am »

We think MC19 is safe.

But wait if you're not sure.  Or wear a bicycle helmet while installing.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Vocalpoint

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 11:17:28 am »

We think MC19 is safe.

But wait if you're not sure.  Or wear a bicycle helmet while installing.

Matt,

Thanks for the vote of confidence on v19 - but what I really wanted was a sense of what it will do (or not do) to existing tracks with existing Replay Gain data. I am dealing with 100K+ tracks here and if v19 is going to treat the library differently OR worse - make me redo all my MP3s for the iPods....I need to know what the implication is.

I did install .41 this morning and I am conducting tests in a very closed environment. I have analyzed some files using the R128 spec...but it appears the "new" RG tags that are written by it - are not the ones read by the iPods. (I believe the iPods pick up the legacy RG tags?)

Would like to know what v19 actually puts in the "legacy" RG tags if there is nothing there previously. If it's the new (RG v2) data calculated via R128 - these tags will - I believe - be 6db lower than what v18 was putting there. That could have impact on volume settings on the iPods etc.

Cheers,

VP

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 02:16:17 pm »

Other than what has been said in the threads on the subject, your testing may be the best way to understand the changes.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 02:39:45 pm »

Other than what has been said in the threads on the subject, your testing may be the best way to understand the changes.

Jim,

Thanks - but since I cannot see the code nor really get a handle of how some values are being calculated - my testing will be blind.

Now - I did find this (courtesy of 6233638)

Dynamic Range (DR) - A measurement of Crest Factor, which correspond to the measurements at the Dynamic Range Database
Dynamic Range (R128) - A measurement of the track's actual dynamic range; the difference between how loud the loudest and quietest parts are.
Peak Level (Sample) - The maximum level of any samples in a track. This should not exceed 0dB with lossless files.
Peak Level (R128) - The track is upsampled 4x and then the peak level is measured. This is known as the True Peak Level, and can exceed 0dB.
Volume Level (R128) - Volume level analysis conforming to the R128 spec.
Volume Level (ReplayGain) - ReplayGain 2.0 values derived from the R128 data.

It's one in bold that interests me - It's obvious that any new tags that are part of v19 and R128 is used solely by MC and I am fine with that. But the if v19 tags being written that will be used by other players or devices are a mystery - that's not ideal at all.

I am still in the dark with respect to what v19 does to "old school" RG tags when a file is "re-analyzed" in v19. Presumably - the RG value that was there - and would be used in my iPod - is now changed to the value calculated in bold above?

As mentioned - I have a very large library and many dependencies. I simply need to know - in advance - what v19 is going to do to my files. Testing and seeing numbers on screen is one thing - but it's nowhere near a full understanding.

VP

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Vocalpoint

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 03:12:57 pm »

http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=ReplayGain_2.0_specification

Thanks Matt. Very interesting reading.

So am I to understand that if I take a track that I analyzed in V18 (or below) that had v1 RG tags and then re-analyzed it within v19 (Or higher) - are the old RG tags replaced with the newer spec v2 RG tags? Or are the v1 RG tags embedded in the file retained?

Also - does v19 embedded the new RG v2 data to files converted/synced to the iPod (like MP3). The v1 RG values as calculated by MC 18 (and earlier) have worked beauty for years on my iPods (with Soundcheck turned on)

Cheers,

VP

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 03:42:23 pm »

You could test that.

We just don't have the time to explain the deep details of what we're doing.  Sorry.

Closing this now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up