INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HD movies identification on standard movie view  (Read 2398 times)

lvc10000

• Recent member
HD movies identification on standard movie view
« on: September 26, 2013, 11:27:11 pm »

Dear All,

Is it possible in the normal mode of viewing movies to activate a setting that would get to see on the movie covers which movies are 720 or 1080 from the normal DVDs I've ripped on my PC?

Basically to get in this view:

To see something like this on the covers of HD movies:

I've searched the options without success and briefly also the forum. Maybe it is under a different name but can anyone tell me if it is possible to activate it as I like that identification when selecting movies on the projector? (where HD resolutions are all the more enjoyable)

PS: maybe it is available in theater view but I don't find that view user friendly with a large collection (1.000 movies) and the mouse

Thank you

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: HD movies identification possible?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 11:42:46 pm »

There are no overlays available.

You can add Thumbnail Text using the [Dimensions] field, or you might want to use just [Height].  To do his, you'd edit the Thumbnail Text under the view's tab.  Add a second line [Height].

If you have that many movies, you might want to customize your view to present them in some other fashion - perhaps by letter groups, or genres, or ?
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

StuckMojo

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
Re: HD movies identification question?
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 03:05:28 am »

@lvc10000

I think there are more ways to achieve your goal.

I made custom tag fields to sort movies out for Standard and Theater View.

Example:
Tag Field: Medium
Tags: HD 720p,HD 1080p, 3D, DVD, BluRay, DivX,........and so on.

In this point mc is a great tool to work with, but you need to do some custom tagging.
I made my folder structure on hdd with these categories, so that Autoimport fill all these custom tags automatically. I have more than this one!  ;D
Works great for me. Don't need to tag files everytime i put new files on the hdd.

But i know,as a new user, it will take some time until you "find" all the cool features of mc.  ;)

OR

A simple way would be, if you filter video files by resolution in your views. All under 1280x720 is Standard and equal, or above is HD, for Example.

As i said, there are more ways to do this.
Lian Li PC-C60B HTPC Case
(Soundgraph Imon Display + Remote Control)
Asus M4A87TD/USB3 + 8GB DDR3
AMD Athlon II X4 605e 4x2,3Ghz (45W TDP)
Onkyo TX-NR906
Teufel System 5 THX Select 2

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 03:25:52 am »

You could just use the existing "Dimensions" Field, or a calculated field from this that depending on the values just said "HD" "SD" etc
JRiver CEO Elect

lvc10000

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 04:52:25 am »

Thank you MrC, StuckMojo & Jmone.

All three ideas are good. Indeed I’ve been using JRiver solely for my music collection until recently when I discovered MadVR and its benefits which turned me very quickly to using JRiver also for video.
So I am now trying to get the “nice to have” I use to find useful previously.

From experience I know that segmenting the collection in categories doesn’t work for me because we generally look at the covers to get inspired to watch a certain movie. We launch the projector and see what we are in the mood for without having decided in advance. Same when guests come over for a movie night and we let them choose.

@ MrC
If I understand correctly this Dimension or height information would be displayed under the cover and under the name of the movie. Interesting idea that could work.
I’ll try and see how to somehow implement changes in the thumbnail this way this weekend to see how it looks.

@ StuckMojo
I see how you’ve structured your HDD filing. I’ll implement in any case as I’ve labeled my folders in a way to recognize which are HD and which aren’t. But it isn’t automatically displayed on or near the movie cover right? You have to hover over the movie to see the file location and in this instance know the category it is filed under in normal view mode.
The second idea segments via the tags so that we only see the HD or the SD movies. An idea but not exactly what I want. Thanks for the feedback as it allows me to see that this software is actually quite flexible/configurable for normal users also! We’re always a bit hesitant to try anything foolish when we don’t have particular knowledge…

@ jmone
That would an upgrade of MrC’s proposal right? Interesting idea to simplify for the user’s understanding while viewing the field under the movie cover. Cool idea that I will try if successful with MrC’s proposal.

I’ll also try and document this post for future users with the same sort of request

MrC

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 10:49:56 am »

You might also try the 3D wall view (Customize the view, change the type to 3D).  This will present many titles for you.

Re: Thumbnails, so also:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=82843.0

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 11:07:25 am »

I see how you’ve structured your HDD filing. I’ll implement in any case as I’ve labeled my folders in a way to recognize which are HD and which aren’t. But it isn’t automatically displayed on or near the movie cover right? You have to hover over the movie to see the file location and in this instance know the category it is filed under in normal view mode.
The second idea segments via the tags so that we only see the HD or the SD movies. An idea but not exactly what I want. Thanks for the feedback as it allows me to see that this software is actually quite flexible/configurable for normal users also! We’re always a bit hesitant to try anything foolish when we don’t have particular knowledge…

He doesn't use the file location for information after its imported. The idea is that he has Tools > Options > Library & Folder > Configure Auto Import setup with different entries for each folder location. When he has a 720p file he just puts it into the 720p folder. JRiver will auto-import the movie and automatically put 720p in the Medium tag. Now he can use the Medium tag for sorting, viewing, categorizing, and even putting captions under cover art.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 11:28:06 am »

Here is an example of a new view I just created called Video Resolution. It is a Panes view set to show Media Subtype = Movies. I added Dimensions as a category for easy selection. Now all I have to do is click the resolution I want and only those movies will be shown.

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2013, 11:28:42 am »

I use: Delimit([Height],p,) which puts the resolution underneath the thumbnail.

Well actually, the full expression I use is:
Code: [Select]
if(!isempty([Duration]),if(isempty([Peak Level (R128)]),<font color="ff0000">[Name]<//font>,<b>[Name]<//b>),[Name])
If(!isempty(ratingstars()),Delimit(ratingstars(),
/
,),)Delimit([Height],p,)Delimit([FPS],fps,/,/ )Delimit(if(!isequal([FPS],25),[Duration],formatduration(math([Duration,0]*(25 / (24/1.001))),0)),/),/ /()
But that's quite specific and probably doesn't suit most people.

lvc10000

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2013, 02:04:20 pm »

Thank you for clarifying guys. All your comments are really helpful. And the tip link MrC... awesome to understand how it actually works.
I first started writing one then worked based on 6233638's code but simplified it a bit to what I just want/need.

I now have:
Line 1 - Larger text for the name in bold and white
Line 2 - The resolution, the frames per second and the film's duration in smaller text and green

The code to enter in the thumnail text free field is:
<font size="120%">>[Name]<//b>
<font size="90%"><font color="00ff00">Delimit([Height],p,)Delimit([FPS],fps,/,/ )Delimit(if(!isequal([FPS],25),[Duration],formatduration(math([Duration,0]*(25 / (24/1.001))),0)),/),/ /()

Then I've renamed that library view to "Custom view 1" to find it faster after another view

I've taken a quick picture of my projector screen with my phone. Sorry it looks awful as I zoomed the already bad pic to show you but you get the point. I'll try to take a better one later on the TV

MrC

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2013, 02:30:24 pm »

Nice.

By the way, use <font color=... and <font size=..., and not <fontcolor and <fontsize, which are incorrect.  Also, be sure to close your tags.

See:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Media_Center_expression_language#HTML_Font_Properties

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2013, 02:40:27 pm »

Thanks for sharing the final product. I should do this too.

lvc10000

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2013, 02:42:56 pm »

Nice.

By the way, use <font color=... and <font size=..., and not <fontcolor and <fontsize, which are incorrect.  Also, be sure to close your tags.

See:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Media_Center_expression_language#HTML_Font_Properties

Thanks MrC, should be better now

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2013, 04:09:39 pm »

Well done - looks good!
JRiver CEO Elect

lvc10000

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2013, 12:56:30 am »

Thanks for the group effort :)
Definitely acceptable if there are no overlays possible

Here are a couple of pics taken from my good old Kuro TV (only HD ready)

Pages: [1]   Go Up