INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: exporting PlayLists to another pc running MC with exact same files  (Read 1791 times)

whatsup

• Junior Woodchuck
exporting PlayLists to another pc running MC with exact same files
« on: September 15, 2013, 11:41:39 pm »

I have 2 computers at home running v19 (I had this same issue with v18) also I am a new user of JRiver
MC. Before I knew what I was doing I installed MC on the pc that I use to play the music, lets call it (Server) imported the playlists from wmp and deleted wmp forever. on the 2nd pc lets call it (TV) I just got rid of wmp without importing the playlists to MC. The (TV) pc is used primarily for music file back up and watching tv, movies. BUT I would like to have the playlists from the (Server) also work on (TV). I have tried and tried and read and read and searched JR and cannot figure out how to accomplish this. Can someone please advise if this is possible. Thank You

adamt

• Galactic Citizen
Re: exporting PlayLists to another pc running MC with exact same files
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 04:27:04 pm »

You're going to want to start something called "Media Network" on your server computer.  (This can be found in options)  It will give you a code.  Go to your TV computer, click "Add Library" under "Playing Now" and select "Library Server".  Type in the code.  This way, all the playlists on your server computer will be accessible from your TV.  I hope this helps!  For more information, try a search for "Media Network" here: https://www.google.com/cse/publicurl?cx=005780494091206822845:vpd2c05icau
Adam Thompson, JRiver

whatsup

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 11:35:12 pm »

I've been here and done this but no code ever pops up? FIXED....ok I got this working...thank you. but as I can play the playlist now, it is being played from the server and not the tv....I need to figure a way to get the playlist saved in the tv files...if this is making any sense.

whatsup

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 09:45:49 pm »

I have tried everything I can think of. I even deleted the library on 2nd pc exported Playlists in every possible means from first pc and copied those over to a folder on 2nd pc and then re-imported all files on 2nd pc and included the option to import playlists at the same time. sure the names of the playlists were imported but when u click them there's nothing there.

So this leads me to believe that it is impossible to get a playlist out of MC to work on a different pc running the exact same files and version of MC, and with no response from a expert I will concede this.

I spose this may seem silly to some but in this household, with all the playlists I need some of the substantial  playlists to work on a 2nd pc not only through Media Server but on its own.

If somebody has a solution PLEASE PLEASE  pipe in.

But now I will try using VLC player to see if it will load a playlist exported from MC with the exact same files loaded into it and export that playlist out of VLC to 2nd computer to see if it will recognize the playlist.
Using WMP is not a option as it refuses to load my entire library. Which led me to JRiver MC in the first place. I tried over a dozen different players with many of them doing ok but nothing I have found can compete with JRiver MC

Thanks

whatsup

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 05:33:39 am »

I have 2 computers at home running v19 (I had this same issue with v18) also I am a new user of JRiver
MC. Before I knew what I was doing I installed MC on the pc that I use to play the music, lets call it (Server) imported the playlists from wmp and deleted wmp forever. on the 2nd pc lets call it (TV) I just got rid of wmp without importing the playlists to MC. The (TV) pc is used primarily for music file back up and watching tv, movies. BUT I would like to have the playlists from the (Server) also work on (TV). I have tried and tried and read and read and searched JR and cannot figure out how to accomplish this. Can someone please advise if this is possible. Thank You

***UPDATE 09-27-2013*** so I'm laying in bed thinking how am I going to do this then it hit me. I don't use the star rating (that's what play lists are for) so I marked 1 playlist at a time with 5 stars then ran the back up. going to the 2nd pc and using the built in smartlist of showing 4-5 stars and there they were, highlighted them and sent them to a playlist...YEP it was just that simple. I am so proud of myself...lol    now on to the next learning curve.

larryrup

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 01:07:30 pm »

Question expressed a little differently.

I have 2 PC's on a home network, both have MC installed locally and share a common hard drive where the music for both is stored.  So long as I keep both PC's up to date with importing, the library is identical.   Now I want create a Playlist on one PC and somehow be able to access it on the other PC.  I do not want to use one PC to connect to the server on the other PC.  I might want to send the playlist to a friend who I know has the source tracks.

I have tried exporting the playlist to a shared drive (like the drive that contains all the music).  Sometimes I do not see the playlist (I've tried importing it).  Some times I see it but MC reports it's empty.  Can you send around a playlist file?

Thanks

Larry
Larry
HTPC, , JRiver.  Music Source:Network share drive.  Speakers:B&W P6, AMP:Yaqin 100b, DAC:BiFrost Uber, Headphones:Audeze LCD2, Sens HD600, AT W5000, Headphone Amps:XCAN v8, Woo Fireflies, Original EarMax.

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 04:55:55 pm »

Since you don't want to use Library Server, I think if you export the playlists as M3U playlists, in a directory that is an auto-import directory, MCs on other systems that also import from this directory should pick up the playlist files (so long as the other MC's are configured to import m3u playlist files, and the media file paths are exactly the same on all relevant systems).

When you import a playlist file, if the file paths are different in the playlist vs. what MC has for media, the playlist file will be empty.  In otherwords, entries in the playlist are removed when there is no exact corresponding entry in the MC library.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up