INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Measuring speaker crossover filter  (Read 4046 times)

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Measuring speaker crossover filter
« on: October 01, 2013, 10:47:38 am »

How hard is it to learn to measure a passive crossover filter to know whether its working properly and what would I need to do this? Is it as simple as measuring each component, feed it a signal and see what comes out? If you know what that component is supposed to do I'd know whether its working properly or is there more to it?

The reason is that one of my speakers sounds audibly different than the other. One sounds crisp and the other sounds, well ... less crisp :). I'm sure its the speaker as I've swapped them around to check. What I don't know is if its the crossover or (I hope not) ribbon tweeter or something else.

Obviously I can take them to a shop to have them looked at, but I figured it could be fun and I might learn something out of it too.

Micromecca

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Measuring speaker crossover filter
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 10:52:02 am »

If you think the difference in 'crispness' is coming from the tweeter, swap the drivers around. If the same box sounds duller its the crossover if not its the actual driver and take it from there.
You can most likely get a crossover schematic, what speakers are they ?

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 10:56:34 am »

Magnepan MG 2.6/R.

Good point about swapping the tweeter units, I hadn't thought of that  :-[. Funny enough I did look at swapping the crossover units but its not detachable as a unit.

Micromecca

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 11:11:04 am »

Ribbons... eeek!

Hope this helps

Image taken from some useful info HERE

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 11:32:41 am »

Thanks.

I'll swap the ribbon coming weekend first, see what that brings.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 01:23:30 pm »

How hard is it to learn to measure a passive crossover filter to know whether its working properly and what would I need to do this? Is it as simple as measuring each component, feed it a signal and see what comes out? If you know what that component is supposed to do I'd know whether its working properly or is there more to it?

The reason is that one of my speakers sounds audibly different than the other. One sounds crisp and the other sounds, well ... less crisp :). I'm sure its the speaker as I've swapped them around to check. What I don't know is if its the crossover or (I hope not) ribbon tweeter or something else.

Obviously I can take them to a shop to have them looked at, but I figured it could be fun and I might learn something out of it too.

Swapping them is a good plan, but it might not be a bad idea to just measure the outputs of both speakers and see in what ways they differ.  That might help narrow it down to a component or crossover if you have the measurement equipment on hand.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 08:19:08 am »

Its the ribbon.

I was able to swap them today, was easy to do. The problem moves with the ribbon tweeter to the other side.

I do think its less now though.

Anyway, I noticed the one that sounds a bit dimmer is also the one that is wobbly, whereas the other one is nice and straight (the ribbon, that is). I don't know whether that's the reason and if its fixable ...

Micromecca

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 06:00:49 am »

Pleased you found the issue mate hope its an easy fix !

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2013, 03:13:23 pm »

Let's asume the wobbly ribbon outputs slighly less in a particular frequency than the other side.

Would REW with a proper mic be able to measure and fix that somehow?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2013, 03:51:27 pm »

Let's asume the wobbly ribbon outputs slighly less in a particular frequency than the other side.

Would REW with a proper mic be able to measure and fix that somehow?

Assuming for the sake of argument that the issue is a different frequency response (rather than a different dispersion pattern or something), it depends on what the cause of the lowered output is. 

You could measure both sides and dial in EQ in JRiver or REW to "correct" the difference in output, but if the lowered output is the result of electromechanical failure (think a blown woofer) sending a "louder" signal to it may may or may not correct the problem and may make it worse. 

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2013, 04:48:58 am »

Right. I have no idea how that works :P. I'm not even sure what effect a wobbly ribbon has or even if that is the cause. It still works and during normal music playback its inaudible. Only with a pink noise sample and switching back and forth can I hear a difference.

I probably shouldn't worry about it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up