INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Build 19.0.49 not seeing or very slow to detect changes in auto-import folders.  (Read 1713 times)

Arcturus

• World Citizen

Don't know where else to post this but since your support page says to come here and since discussions are not wanted in build threads here is my issue.

I am having a annoying issue with this build. Before any new files and folders I would add to the auto import folders would be picked up very quickly, Within seconds or a minute at most. Now it takes forever in some cases an hour. I have to manually drop new files onto JRiver if I want to play them. If I close JRiver and restart it then see's the changes immediately. For example I have a G:\Downloads\ folder in auto-import and its just not picking up on changes in that folder without a restart of JRiver.  

I did a forum search and saw this was a issue with some people but this is the first time I experienced it. I don't have that many folders for JRiver to watch maybe a dozen and only 1 network folder (which use to be very fast to detect changes also).

I saw mention there was a Check Folder Now option but that was for a very old version and I can't seem to find it in the current version so its either gone or well hidden.  The import option has run auto-import now but that scans the whole library or there is an option to import a single folder. Either way none of that solves the issue.

Been using JRiver since version 17 and I never saw it behave this way, Was fine in prior builds of 19 as well up until the latest. It's ability to sense changes fast and update the library was one of the things I loved most about JRiver and its a area where many other apps fall short.

Hopefully it gets fixed or if anyone has an idea to fix this issue plz let me know.

EDIT. 42 viesw and not a single reply, Oh well......

Anyway through a few hours of research on the forum and then running a full auto-import along side a task snooper I found the problem. At least with this build going on (because it was not a problem before for me).

OTTO seems to have issues with image files. I had my photos/Image folders in the auto-import (not a problem before) Though it might have been a pic I added or maybe not who knows, I could put them aside if a admin cares to see what files caused this to happen, Just pm me.

Anyway in short OTTO (The auto-import process) will hit an image and just spin around and die there. This explains why simply restarting JRiver or manually dropping the file onto JRiver works fine. I was able to reproduce the problem by taking another PC also running JRiver and pointing it to the same folder and voila auto-import dies there. The images themselves seem fine in that I can open them or drop them onto Photoshop so on and nothing irregular appears wrong with them but alas that seems to be the cause.

I am pretty careful about what types of files I let JRiver import so for example my audio file directories only look for audio files and same for video so on.
So if someone does run into this issue remove any photo/image folder and make sure you got your import set to only look for relevant files in any given directory. Audio only for audio files, Video only for video, Just to be on the safe side. I could easily imagine someone getting a busted .jpg or who knows what in a album and then all of a sudden their auto-import is no longer able to fully function (except when you restart the app).

So its all well and good now, Auto-import see's changes as they happen almost instantly.

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.

There's a lot of text here.  You might post a sentence in the latest build thread indicating that a single photo causes auto-import to stall, and offer to share the file w/JRiver.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Arcturus

• World Citizen

They said in the build threads they didn't want discussions in the threads and anyway the threads get buried when a new version comes out.
Also when I was looking into this problem I found hundreds of threads with this issue, Most of which never got a reply or response from admins.

Makes no difference to me. Just leaving this here in case someone else runs into this issue.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Auto import works by using notifications from Windows.  Apparently, this doesn't work on at least some NAS drives.

Matt has written about this several times.  You could try a search to find the posts.
Pages: [1]   Go Up