INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Short Hang  (Read 2246 times)

forbigd

• Galactic Citizen
Short Hang
« on: September 30, 2013, 05:47:29 pm »

All,
I know I have posted about something similar before, but I think that and this issue are separate. I have never really solved this issue.

Sometimes using theater mode I click something and it doesn't respond. Another click makes the screen gray white and the cursor turns to the wait circle.
30-45, maybe even a minute later it clears and MC works fine for awhile after that.
I had resource monitor running and here is what it says was running. Can someone tell me what all the activity is?

5 seconds after MC cleared and started responding, all the references to AppData disappeared.
It was running on a ssd, but I cloned that over to a standard drive to make sure it wasn't the ssd. Ran a defrag on the cloned drive and it found tons of fragments. But even after a defrag the standard drive MC still stalls. Let's see if I can attach a picture. :)

Don

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Short Hang
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 06:05:18 pm »

Might one of the disks be idle and MC has to wait for it to wake and respond?
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

forbigd

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 06:22:20 pm »

I checked (again just now). It is a WD Velociraptor on a Marvell 6G controller. No delay there. HD is set not to power down ever.
The data is on a server, the only thing on the HD is windows and some apps, the only thing running is MC. We just finish a TV show and try to select something else. I will see if it happens right after a show (like the HD has spun down), or after we move around a bit first.

I just disabled Norton (as much as anyone can :)). and await the next one. (Or not)

Don

forbigd

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 12:54:27 pm »

Disabling Norton completely did not fix the problem.
When MediaCenter stops responding. Resmon shows it doing something.
Today I was in standard view, looking at TV shows in pane view with a Tiles list showing. I switched to details view and it stuck. For about a minute resmon shows MC writing a thumbnails type file. I looked and where it was writing is a 2+ gig file with the name thumbnails large. Once that writing went away MC came back. It almost never crashes if I give it a chance to respond. Is 2gig too large? Do I have too much in my library? MC reports 11,000+ files in the data I was switching, but the view itself was only showing 1800. After typing this I retried the same steps. This time it changed views right away, no hang, and I saw it write to the same thumbnails file again, but it took only an instant. Looking from the outside like the rest of you, it sure looks to be hardware. Before I toss it and rebuild with something different, has anyone seen this before? The machine is running great otherwise and has GForce and other licenses installed. I hate to lose it. Two hds. One ssd and one Raptor, same issue.

Thanks
Don

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 12:56:10 pm »

Are you running the latest build?  It fixes a delay in Theater View.  It's 18.0.49.

forbigd

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 01:14:58 pm »

Yes sir, that's always the first place I look..Has the revision number changed? The delay is in both Theater and Standard views. It seems plain that MC is trying to write to that 2 gig file and either takes it's sweet time, or the hardware won't let it.
All windows updates and Nvidia drivers are up to date. I just beat it to almost death clicking everywhere, going in and out of Theater choosing different lists and views as quick as I could. It kept up fine. But I am writing this on that machine, perhaps an earlier comment that the HD is sleeping could have some merit, or the hardware (controller is). After sending this I will let her sit a spell and then try it again.

Thanks

Don

rayooo

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 02:33:47 pm »

I just updated my backup MC machine to .49

It's set to boot directly to theater view.

I've noticed several times now that if in theater view, I try to exit theater view (using mouse/back/exit-theater-view), JR Hangs on the EXIT position in theater view.  CTL-ALT-DEL brings up taskmon showing JR running, but at this point all I can do is get back into the hung theater view display.

Seems to happen whether anything is playing or not.  Doesn't happen all the time,  about 50% of the time.
'never had this in .45.  
MC, 19, Win7- 64, Media stored on NAS (Synology)

Not sure if it's related (yet) to .49 or not.

Update: Can't get it to happen on .136, will try .145 also.
Basically it hangs at the "EXIT" selection, the menu showing options:

EXIT Theater View
System Sleep, Shutdown & More
Cancel

Never appears.  Eventually I get a "Resuming Windows" message from windows desktop.
Almost looks like Exit is causing a sleep or some such.
MC-27-28> Meitner MA 1V2> CJ-GatV2> CJ ART 300s> Magnepan 20.7

rayooo

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 03:28:45 pm »

Confirmed on two computers now.

.45 works fine, .49 has long pause and /or freeze when exiting theater view.

Updated: Corrected version numbers!

MC-27-28> Meitner MA 1V2> CJ-GatV2> CJ ART 300s> Magnepan 20.7

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 05:06:49 pm »

It's 45 and 49.

maid

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2013, 12:47:46 am »

I also cannot shutdown from theater view.

I also have hanging not responding on importing and analising audio.

I have a ticket but no one seems to know the answer.

I will go back to 45 and test that
Intel Core i5-4590 CPU,  Haswell Gen2,  LGA1150, 3.3GHz 6 DDR3/ 2x PCIE3.0 x16 16gb Ram Windows 10 64 bit Asus Z97-DELUXE ATX Motherboard Nvidia GForce gtx1080 Receiver Onkyo TX-NR925 TV LG LF6300 55" smart TV

maid

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2013, 02:17:50 am »

45 works.
I will go to my original ticket and put what I have learned
Intel Core i5-4590 CPU,  Haswell Gen2,  LGA1150, 3.3GHz 6 DDR3/ 2x PCIE3.0 x16 16gb Ram Windows 10 64 bit Asus Z97-DELUXE ATX Motherboard Nvidia GForce gtx1080 Receiver Onkyo TX-NR925 TV LG LF6300 55" smart TV

maid

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2013, 09:55:10 pm »

my mistake still same problems.

I have to shut down windows to exit??

spiggytopes

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2013, 01:53:24 am »

I have the same problem -  starting in Theatre View, scrolling right to EXIT and it hangs - happened a few times.

My response was to go into denial!

I'm not sure if it makes a difference if I move right with the remote or click directly on EXIT with the mouse ......

spiggytopes

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2013, 01:55:00 am »

BTW, running .56

maid

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2013, 01:59:06 am »

I am also back with 56.

We cant close from Theater view going to try closing from standard tonight.

I also do all my editing from my office through the network and it freezes here too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up