INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Install  (Read 2081 times)

Micromecca

• Galactic Citizen
New Install
« on: September 20, 2013, 09:42:45 am »

Thought I would share the progress of a Client Install. It is all based around MC19 and will be using 2 servers (one is currently just a chassis reserved for future expansion), 7 media centers and various android & apple devices.

The client (who will from now on be refered to as Ray) decided that they would like to place as much as possible in a central location and hide as much equipment from view as possible, luckily they have a decent sized cupboard that is kind-of central to the 2 main ground floor locations, (AV/Family Room & Lounge) and also a bedroom directly above so out with the 'cupboard-in-a-cupboard'

Ray is a brilliant fabricator and decided to make the rack himself, it will be wall mounted and slide back and forth to allow easy access to the rear

Doesnt Take him long to knock this up:

Checking for fitting:

The Budget Rack Cases we chose to use have top ventilation so we have left a little room to breath between them:
(they also have push/pull air cooling on the front/rear if needed)

Rack fits perfectly in its location, we managed to in squeeze in a shelf for just about everything (I will list the other kit later)

Slides back and forth very easily, I should just about be able to get my fat ass round the back:

The rack is now off to the Powder Coaters while the cupboard is prepared so more to follow soon....

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Re: New Install
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 03:40:34 pm »

Good stuff - looking forward to seeing how the build goes!
JRiver CEO Elect

Micromecca

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 08:17:37 am »

Have made a start on the 3 media centers that will be living in the rack, despite them being a bit flimsy these cases are really good value for money and perfect for the job with bags of room inside.

Hardware is pretty basic for these:
Budget H61 mATX Motherboard
i3 3220 CPU
4GB 1600mhz RAM
64GB SSD
GTX650Ti Graphics
300watt efficient PSU

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 11:20:29 am »

Pretty nice project.  I spec'd and built a server room for a client once.  I wrote this, in a beta thread earlier this year:

Quote from: MrC
I built a server room for a client once.  It was a fun project.  I had to drill some holes in the concrete slab to bolt down the various server racks.  So I brought my little drill in and started drilling.   And drilling.  And drilling.  15 minutes later, I brushed away the concrete dust with my numb hands, and saw I'd made a dent.  I then called over some construction guy with a hardhat, who brought over a real man-sized hammer drill, and punched 12 holes in under 2 minutes.  I still feel the shame.  Lesson learned - never let underpowered hardware get the better of you.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Micromecca

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 12:44:28 pm »

So I brought my little drill in and started drilling.   And drilling.  And drilling.

This really made me lol, thanks  ;D

Micromecca

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 09:10:15 am »

Lead time was way too long at the powder coaters so Ray decided to spray up the rack himself...

Primer going on..

I was suprised to see it completed in white, but it really made sense in such a small space, keeping it light and bright.

Main Server is pretty much sorted now:

It is using the following Hardware:
Z77 Motherboard
i7 3770 CPU (lots of transcoding will be taking place)
8GB 1600mhz RAM
Blu-Ray Reader (for ripping)
32GB SSD OS Drive (WHS2011)
Couple of 1Tb Drives used for backup and Temp Volumes for ripping etc
half a dozen 3 & 4TB drives that they had already (these will be going into a dedicated storage server running RAID 5 or 6 at some point)
TBS6284 Quad Freeview HD Tuner
Marvell 4 port SATA600 AHCI Controller (for the extra drives)

Micromecca

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 05:45:01 am »

Cupboard has been tidied up and decorated so the rack went in and was loaded up today

It slides back and forth even smoother now with the extra weight on

Ethernet is pretty much ran to everywhere now but there is still some cable tidying and boxing in of pipes to do

So, on with the wiring of the rack....

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2013, 06:10:27 am »

Nice cable mgt  ;D  Can I borrow you around at my place!
JRiver CEO Elect

Micromecca

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2013, 06:15:53 am »

That was all Ray mate, I would have thrown everything in a standard 19U but he's one of those guys who really enjoys making/doing bespoke stuff himself, people like that are a pleasure to work with.

and talking of cable management... in with the finger trunking  ;D

Pages: [1]   Go Up