INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HDHomerun problem  (Read 5210 times)

jkanoy

• Recent member
HDHomerun problem
« on: October 05, 2013, 08:34:09 pm »

I am new to JRiver and I really like it far more than WMC but I have a problem I cannot get around.  I recently set up the HDHR dual tuner (no cablecard) without a problem.  Used it for a few days, fell in love with JRiver, blah, blah, blah...

I upgraded to HDHR Prime today, had my cablecard paired, etc. and have had no issues with Windows Media Center.  However, MC sees the tuners but when I run the scan it says "A television device does not exist, or was not selected for scanning."  Under the devices section of the Television tab in the Options menu, I see the 2 old tuners from the first HDHR device I used and I also see the 3 tuners of the new HDHR Prime device I just installed.  I checked my firewall and my rules are still there (I had to set them up for the previous device).  

I've spent HOURS scouring the internet trying to find information related to my issue or at the very least how to reset the application so that I can just start from scratch.  I'm surprised that I'm the only person to have ever needed to just wipe the slate clean and start over.  I've uninstalled, rebooted, deleted data from the cache under AppData>Roaming, rebooted and every time I reinstall MC the tuners are still there.

Can someone help point me in the right direction as to how to wipe the install completely clean so that my data doesn't return when I reinstall?  Or, help tell me what I'm doing wrong with the re-scan.

Thanks in advance!

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: HDHomerun problem
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 11:20:03 am »

One problem people often encounter is that MC could not find the device at the beginning of MC starting up.  You have to wait a little (maybe up to a minute) for MC to complete discovery process.  This is assuming that you turned on the DLNA option in Tools > Options > Media Network.

More details are here:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=83318.0

EDIT: 

I see this in your post:

but when I run the scan it says "A television device does not exist, or was not selected for scanning." 

Scanning for CableCARD channels does not really involve loading the tuner device at all.  It uses xmltv options to find the channels.  Make sure you select "CableCARD" on the first page of Scan Channels wizard (the default is "Digital", which is not applicable to CableCARD situation).
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

jkanoy

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 01:07:11 pm »

Interesting.  I did notice that after a couple seconds it continues loading channels that it downloads from one of the guide sources, but when I let it do that in the past and then tried to click on one of the channels I got an error that stated, "a catastrophic error has occurred" and the program shut down.  I assumed that was related to it not detecting a television device during channel scan.

I will try to run through the setup again and will make sure DLNA is turned on and let you know how it turns out. 

One other question that I don't understand is why do my older tuners show up that aren't even connected to the network anymore?  Is this something that is actually pulling from the HDHR software?  I noticed that they show up there too.

I appreciate your reply!

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 03:10:16 pm »

One other question that I don't understand is why do my older tuners show up that aren't even connected to the network anymore?  Is this something that is actually pulling from the HDHR software?  I noticed that they show up there too.

My guess is that SiliconDust does not do a thorough job of cleaning up.  I have not tried it myself, but you may need to do an complete uninstall of SiliconDust software and reinstall it.

I have similar experience.  When I initially installed my HDHomeRun Prime, I did not yet have my CableCARD.  As a result, my device was installed as a QAM device.  Later I was able to change it to CableCARD device, but the ghost tuners for QAM/ATSC have remained.

jkanoy

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 09:48:11 pm »

Well, I got a little further than I did before.  I turned on DLNA and I now see items showing up under Playing Now such as HDHR, Plex, and my computer.  I scanned for channels, loaded a guide, but when I click on a channel I get a black screen with the message, "no signal".  My Windows Media Center on the same machine is working just fine.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 09:59:23 am »

Is the channel a premium channel (or any channel that is encrypted by cable company)?  That would be the behavior if the channel is encrypted.  We currently do not support encrypted channels.

jkanoy

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 01:25:59 pm »

I thought that was the case, but I tried a non-premium and I get the same thing on all channels.
Pages: [1]   Go Up