INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to synchronize two laptops "in the background"? Is it Dropbox / NAS / ...?  (Read 1575 times)

Bobo4567

• Recent member

Hi all,

I use MC for many years in workshops on a laptop. MC gives me so much flexibilty organizing my music and playing it.

And to be save if Laptop A is broken, there's another Laptop B as "cold standby".
And it takes me a lot of time to keep them in sync. Maybe you have some good ideas how to do this with less effort.

This is how I work today.
- Laptop A is the master. Music (mp3) and MC is on partition M:\.
- I use GoodSync and sync the entire Drive M: to a folder on my NAS (QNAP).
- Then I sync from NAS to Laptop B.

Time consuming are the frequent updates of MC. And I have to start Goodsync manually.
So it would be wonderfull if the synchronization would work in the background.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Vocalpoint

• Citizen of the Universe

And to be save if Laptop A is broken, there's another Laptop B as "cold standby".  And it takes me a lot of time to keep them in sync. Maybe you have some good ideas how to do this with less effort.

You don't into any detail on whether Laptop A is just a listening computer or of Laptop B has any active purpose..so forgive me if I do not understand why you would be synching anything to both laptops.

If it were me - I would never have any actual music on any device. I would keep my music stash on the NAS and use Laptop A as A player only. Point MC to the NAS to use the stash. Setup B the same. Don't worry about syncing anything.

I suspect I am missing something here tho - like you are actually taking Laptop A out of the house - then I do get the "sync" thing.

When I did do "syncing" a few years back - my program of choice was always SyncBack SE - which can be scheduled and works very well. It can sync here, there and everywhere - on any schedule that you choose.

Cheers,

VP

Al ex

Re:
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 12:36:50 pm »

I am having a similar Setup, but using hallway sync. A is my main working laptop. B is my mobile laptop for travel. Both have a fully configured mc for playing media. A My book live on the router is in between via wifi. Each change in files or tags is synced within minutes automatically...

Al ex

Re:
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 12:38:25 pm »

The name is AllwaySync. (stupid auto correct)

glynor

• MC Beta Team

Why do you have to start Goodsync manually?  It has very flexible scheduling capabilities, and can even detect changes for syncing (like Dropbox).

I use Goodsync for this exact purpose, among other things.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Bobo4567

• Recent member

Thanks for sharing your experiences!
It seems that I could use my sync tool in a better, more automated way. I'll test this soon.

@ glynor: Can you please provide some hints how you did this?

Two questions more:
- Do you also sync your mobile phones / portable devices in that way?
- Should I setup MC as a portable installation? Would this prevent the installation on the backup laptop B?
Pages: [1]   Go Up