More > JRiver Media Center 20 for Linux

openSUSE 12.3+ Setup for JRiver MediaCenter

(1/6) > >>

Mike Noe:
MediaCenter tested on 12.3/13.1/Tumbleweed

1.  Fresh install your system and/or continue to YAST and get latest updates, using YAST
2.  Search for libX11, make sure libX11-6-32bit is installed
3.  Search for libasound, make sure libasound-32bit is installed

See the post below for instructions on creating an RPM with alien and then installing the resulting RPM.

If using an AMD HDMI GPU (R600g/RadeonSI) for sound output device, you will be limited to 2-ch 16/48 playback up to kernel 3.13 unless the sound fixes are back-ported.

Edit:  remove ref to libcurl

geier22:
Installation of 19.73 MC as rpm with zypper ( openSUSE 13.1 RC2)

The advantage over the method by hand: Media Center can easily uninstall via Yast. Then convert the new version and install it as described below. All data and settings are preserved.
Unfortunately Yast breaks the installation because of the lack of  libcurl.so.4 (CURL_OPENSSL_3).
I have searched the whole web for this file and found nothing. libcurl.so.4 is installed.

1 Install alien
2 Install rpm_build

Installation: Both packages can be installed with Yast .
If the repositories are not configured , you can also install the two packages from http://software.opensuse.org/123/

or simply :

--- Code: ---sudo zypper install rpm-build
--- End code ---
and

--- Code: ---sudo zypper install alien
--- End code ---

Conversion of deb package in rpm

Your name @ linux- UN15 : ~ / Downloads >
--- Code: ---sudo alien -r Media Center 19.0.73.deb
--- End code ---

root 's password:

mediacenter19 - 19.0.70 - 2.i386.rpm generated
Your name @ linux- UN15 : ~ / Downloads >

--------------------------------

then :

Your name @ linux- UN15 : ~ >
--- Code: ---su -
--- End code ---

password:

UN15 - linux : ~ #
--- Code: ---zypper install -f / home/Your name/Downloads/mediacenter19-19.0.73.i386.rpm
--- End code ---

Output:

Loading repository data ...
Reading installed packages ...
Forcing installation of ' mediacenter19 - 19.0.70 - 2.i386 ' from repository ' plain RPM files cache' .
Resolving package dependencies ...

Problem : nothing Provides libcurl.so.4 ( CURL_OPENSSL_3 ) needed by mediacenter19 - 19.0.70 - 2.i386
 Solution 1 : do not install mediacenter19 - 19.0.70 - 2.i386
 Solution 2 : break mediacenter19 - 19.0.70 - 2.i386 by ignoring some of its dependencies

Choose from above solutions by number or cancel [ 1/2/c ] ( c ): 2
Resolving dependencies ...
Resolving package dependencies ...

The Following Following NEW package is going to be installed :
  mediacenter19

1 new package to install .
Overall download size : 31.1 MiB . After the surgery, additional 139.2 MiB will be used.
Continue? [ Y / n / ? shows all options] (y): y
Retrieving package mediacenter19 - 19.0.70 - 2.i386 ( 1/1) , 31.1 MiB ( 139.2 MiB unpacked )
Retrieving package mediacenter19 - 19.0.70 - 2.i386 ( 1/1) , 31.1 MiB ( 139.2 MiB unpacked )
( 1/1) Installing : mediacenter19 - 19.0.70 -2 .................................... .. [done ]

After the Installation:

Media Center imported some of my songs (10 000 for testing) without problems. Media Center plays flac, wav and mp3.

All icons are available, but the graphical interface hardly works.
The drop down menus of the main menu bar are transparent and hard to read.
Furthermore, the sub-menus lose focus into Nirvana.
Tagging is not possible. Clicking on a field, it loses the focus to somewhere.

Now you can move the Window with mouse without "ALT".
Zooming the window is difficult because it only happens with a very long delay and with much flicker.
The mouse pointer does not change. You do not know if you've reached the correct position for moving or zooming.

But I think this is all known.

With the release of openSUSE 13.1 in 8 days, I bury Windows as the main operating system for 28 years.
Two virtual machines with Windows still run on OpenSUSE 13.1:
One for the mediacenter 19 and one for home banking.

I hope JRiver does its job well - as good as in "Windows Media Center".

But I'm sure that this happens. Thanks already for the beginning!...

Mike Noe:
@geier22
Bravo!  Thx.

UdoS:
1. Create a local installation directory, where you like to install MC.
2. Download or use an existing installation file like "MediaCenter-19.0.94.deb"
3. Extract the file using the option "extract here, autodetect subdirectories"
4. Repeat this for the datafile in the newly created directory "MediaCenter-19.0.94".
5. Now, you create a link at a convinient place (Desktop etc) to the directory "MediaCenter-19.0.94"
    and rename it MediaCenter-19.
6. In the /usr/lib/jriver create a link to your local link "/home/>yourplace>/MediaCenter-19/usr/lib/jriver".

After you download a new version, you follow steps 1 ..4 and you have a new directory eg. MediaCenter-19.0.102.
To switch versions, you just need to open the properties of your link created in step 5. and change the option
"Points to: eg:"/home/udo/Local_Work/MediaCenter-19.0.94" to "/home/udo/Local_Work/MediaCenter-19.0.102".
Now, you can keep the last versions and switch by just changing the last digits of your linklocation at you destop or wherever you placed it.

vaseer:
Hi guys,

I'm not sure if anyone tested the latest version 20.0.50 on openSUSE, however I just tried the manual install(unpack and copy to /usr) and I am getting a segmentation fault when I try to run it. I am running opensuse13.2 on KDE. Anybody got the same issue?

Is there anyway I can collect additional logs ? It doesn't complain for any missing dependencies, it just spits out seg fault and closes.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Edit: I have checked and installed all dependencies from the posts here. Alsa is installed and running, X is up and running with proprietary AMD. Tested the same without the fglrx driver and on a work station running 13.2 with nouveau driver(no proprietary).

Kind Regards,
George

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version