INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Files disappearing  (Read 1326 times)

DavidZ

• Junior Woodchuck
Files disappearing
« on: October 15, 2013, 09:15:18 pm »

Something very bizarre and troublesome is happening in my attempts to add files to my library. I am using Windows 8.1 and v19. My library is on an external NAS disk, which itself is a standard usb 3.0 Seagate drive attached to a Netgear router with a usb/nas port. Here's what happens. I will successfully import and tag files, and they show and play normally in MC. Then, when I go back to the recent files list in MC I see the yellow "file not found" icon is next to the tracks of those imports. When I look at the Windows directory in my library, where I had a file folder named "Shostakovich" with all the .wav files, there is now simply a file of 0 kb named "Shostakovich". The content .wav files are gone. The filetype in the Windows directory is simply "file." If I try and erase it, I am told I do not have permission. However, if I try and re-transfer the files from the other disk where the files first where created (either ripped vinyl files or downloaded) I am told that some or all already exist in the target library and/or it will create a folder in the library with one of the names of the .wav files.

This has happened several times exactly the same way, and the issue also occurred when I used a mac mini in boot camp using Windows 7 pro. Anyone who can steer me out of this mess will be my hero. My nightmare is that somehow MC is tagging/corrupting my whole library. Thanks. -- David

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Help! MC is erasing imported files -- very flakey
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 10:01:19 pm »

This is not MC's normal behaviour at all. I suspect your USB 3.0's filesytem is corrupt.

DavidZ

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Help! MC is erasing imported files -- very flakey
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 05:35:46 am »

Fitbrit -- Thanks for your input. I'm guessing the next steps would be to: reformat usb drive, restore library from backup, and reimport into MC. Does that sound right? Thanks.-- David

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC is erasing imported files
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 06:51:15 am »

Very strange problem.  MC won't "erase" your files unless you tell it to.

I would try running the drive attached directly to a machine for a while to see if it changes the behavior. 

DavidZ

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Files disappearing
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 07:31:02 am »

Jim -- Great idea, thanks. Perhaps something is getting mangled in the router/usb setup. I was planning on getting a Synology nas anyway, so this might accelerate that notion. -- David
Pages: [1]   Go Up