INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Channel order for Freeview UK  (Read 3088 times)

Daniel Warner

• World Citizen
Channel order for Freeview UK
« on: October 07, 2013, 11:18:59 am »

Sorry if this has already been answered (I did a search but nothing was exactly what I wanted)

When I first setup/scan for channels, it finds everything correctly and collects the guide data but the channels are then presented in alphabetical order - obviously not wanted.  

The only way I can get them to display in the order I want is to edit EVERY channel and insert a number in the name. For instance 'BBC1' has to be changed to '1-BBC1', ITV has be changed to '3-ITV' etc etc.  Tedious to the extreme!  It also seems to affect any rescans when new channels are added etc. (Channels are then duplicated or removed entirely).  Is there any way it can get the channel ordering from the guide data as that seems to know the numbering correctly.

Also, I have a dual tuner setup and it seems every channel appears twice with the secand channel having (1) after it - can this be prevented?

I use a DVB-T setup by the way. I am planning to get a DVB-T2 card in the future tho.

I am running MC19 but it did the same thing in 17 & 18
Sybil, you're always ... refurbishing yourself

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: Channel order for Freeview UK
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 12:48:53 pm »

There is no other way of sorting channels.  The system was tailored to ATSC where each channel has channel number added to the from of the name automatically.  I actually have an opposite problem from yours.  When I use cable channels, I wish to be able to sort channels by name, so I can find a particular channel (it took me a long time to remember that HBO is on channel 186), but cable channels also have channel number in the front automatically.

With regard to the duplicate channels with (1) at the end, they are not caused by having dual tuners.  You do not need to scan for channels with each one of the dual tuners, but if you did, no duplicate channels would be created.  The channels with (1) at the end are the same channel but different audio stream (in UK they are audio notes for visually impaired).  It is still on my list of things to do to revamping this scheme, but I am not sure when I will be able to get to it.  For now you need to select all of those "(1)" channels and hide them (not delete them! because they will come back if you ever need to re-scan).
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Daniel Warner

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 12:18:52 pm »

Why is that?  The guide data collects the channel numbers,  why can't it sort them by those numbers?
Sybil, you're always ... refurbishing yourself

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 12:38:04 pm »

When I said "there is no other way", I meant "there is no other way in current implementation".  If we try harder we could make it more flexible, but I am not sure it is easy.  Channel numbers have different meaning in different countries.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

dorsetjon

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 04:06:35 pm »

This would be very nice to have because it is not very friendly for MC's TV channel order to be different to everything else.

If there are issues given that channel numbers are used differently in different countries, then could there be an option to specify how channels are ordered, e.g. Alphabetical or Channel Number? Given that the channel number can be manually specified in Options->Television->Advanced->Edit Channel List, this gives users full control over channel ordering. Would that be an easier change? However, I also notice that the Channel Number is not being automatically populated even though it is shown when you go through "Load program guide" so could that be fixed or is it intentional?
Pages: [1]   Go Up