INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Storing Hard Drives in Bumpy conditions?  (Read 1711 times)

jgreen

• Citizen of the Universe
Storing Hard Drives in Bumpy conditions?
« on: October 16, 2013, 11:33:54 am »

These hard Drives will all be OFF and disconnected.  They are all 3.5" consumer-grade hard drives.  They will be bouncing around in a vehicle while stored with some padding.

My Question:  Will it make a difference if they are stored flat or on a side?  I would prefer to store them on a side, so that I can pack a strip of padding between them and NOT stack other drives on top.  If they are flat I will have to stack them, with padding.

My concern is that when on a side, knowing they will be bounced, the spindle is more vulnerable to shock damage than when laid flat, even if they are stacked. 

Opinions?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Storing Hard Drives in Bumpy conditions?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 12:13:58 pm »

I'm not the expert on this, but I wouldn't worry about it if they have any padding.  I believe the heads are parked when the power is off.  Think about what they go through when UPS delivers them.  The boxes are turned every which way.

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 01:08:42 pm »

I would guess that they'd be better on their side, though it probably shouldn't make a difference. The head should be securely parked and that's the main thing you would have to worry about.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 02:38:01 pm »

Unless you plan on driving off cliffs or making spectacular high speed rolls, it won't matter  :P.

I'm not sure but I think back in the old days it did matter.

What will matter more though is temperature. Let them get to room temperature before you hook em up again.

jgreen

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 06:41:49 pm »

Yeah, I'm guilty as sin for not letting drives return to room temperature before starting them.  Occasionally lose a drive, but I'd rather do as I please.

So, my takeaway here is that it shouldn't matter either way, but if it did the head is a bigger concern than the spindle, so the side might be better than flat.  In any case, temperature is a bigger concern but I just won't listen.

Thanks to all!

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 03:41:37 am »

Insubordination!  ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up