INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Panes View  (Read 2117 times)

Boldlygo

• Recent member
Panes View
« on: October 25, 2013, 08:56:46 am »

Hi. I have been using iTunes for quite some time and finally decided to switch to JR. I am using v19.0.56.
I have a 'media server' running Win7Pro with a high-end sound card running out to a Bryston SP3. I had JR find all my existing iTunes files that I already had on my server.
I like JR so far, but have a couple of issues:
When I'm in the Panes view, I can't seem to get the Albums to sort by 'Album'. The column shows a '2' ascending but it seems to be a random sorting. I can't seem to find which column has a '1' on it. The only other column with a number is Track with a '4'.
Second, a few albums have their tracks split up - the seem to be ones that are compilations. For example, a CD called 'Swinging With The Master: An Essential Jazz Collection' has each track showing separately, and not together in this view. When looking in Albums view, It shows a separate album for each track. In iTunes I could go into the properties of each track and check 'part of a compilation' and this would bring all the tracks together. I have no idea what to do in JR.
Can anyone help with these issues? Thanks
Marantz AV7702 Dolby Atmos, Wyred4Sound DAC2 DSDse, OPPO BDP-103D, Epson Pro Cinema 6010, McAllister Audio OTL-185 Amps & Pre-amp, Lexicon LX-7 Amp, custom-built media server, PureAudioProject Trio15B Open-baffle front speakers

connersw

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Panes View
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 11:41:17 am »

1) When you click on the Album header, you should get a drop down menu: Sort Inside Groups by Album or Sort All Files by Album (removes grouping temporarily).  Either one will sort by Album depending on what you want to do.  I prefer the former because it is easier for me to view.  Sometimes, that drop down doesn't show up, but if I click to another view, then come back to Panes it will be there.  As a side note, you can customize that header any way you want.  You can drag and slide columns left and right, or you can right click and select which ones you want showing.

2)  Select all the tracks that are from that compilation and use the tag editor in the lower left corner.  Change the Album Artist tag to (Multiple Artist).  That will change the Album Type to compilation and put all the tracks into one album.  The individual Artist tag for each track will remain unchanged.  http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Multiple_Artist_Albums

Boldlygo

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 12:45:22 pm »

Trying the Sort Inside Groups By Album - have no idea what that actually means - but it does not sort the library by album at all. I go from an album that starts with G, the next one is B, the next one is R - no rhyme or reason to the sort. If I choose the second option, all the covers go away and everything is in one long list, not grouped by album. So what am I missing?
I'll check on your suggestion for problem 2 later. Thanks!
Marantz AV7702 Dolby Atmos, Wyred4Sound DAC2 DSDse, OPPO BDP-103D, Epson Pro Cinema 6010, McAllister Audio OTL-185 Amps & Pre-amp, Lexicon LX-7 Amp, custom-built media server, PureAudioProject Trio15B Open-baffle front speakers

connersw

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 03:05:41 pm »

Go to the Panes tab up top and click on the little down arrow.  Group By -> More (sort groups a-z) -> Album

Is that the view you are looking for?

Boldlygo

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 03:26:01 pm »

Ah, that worked! Thanks - And your other fix for the tracks worked too!

JohanJooste

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2013, 05:55:45 am »

Thanks guys learning as we go. Is there any way to disable this multiple column sorting and stick to just sorting a column which I choose
as is the case with iTunes ?

Thank you

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2013, 12:10:09 pm »

Each media type has its own default sort.  Each view inherits view settings, by default, from the parent view, so in this case, its the Audio view.  The default sort order for Audio is:

Album Artist (auto)
   Album
   Disc #
   Track #

So with no sort, the default sort for the view is used.  Therefore, configure your own sort for the view, and it will be used instead.

The opinions I express represent my own folly.

JohanJooste

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 02:37:35 am »

Hi Guys, please could anyone advise why this default sorting is not kept when viewing the currently importing CD.

Seems the sorting changes made in this view is kept regardless of movement between the Audio Library and the Importing CD view.

Please advise.

tx

AndyU

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2013, 04:58:42 am »

Might there have been a bug recently with this?

I had a Categories view which suddenly stopped sorting by track within disc in the File window and stubbornly resisted any attempt to fix it by respecifying the sort order. Switched to JR18 and it worked fine. I reimplemented the view and voila, it worked.
Pages: [1]   Go Up